Guest Houses in Kruger

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Guest Houses in Kruger

Unread postby Grantmissy » Thu May 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Recently we have stayed for two nights in Lebombo in Olifants Camp.
It looks like the bathrooms have had a make over as they look good.
Lebombo has a suitable design for the Kruger environment, but it may need someone with the necessary skills to bring all in order again including the small gardens in front of the rooms which I think came with the design of the house.
These gardens are filled with weeds and the weeds are between the paving, at the braai and they are flourishing under the sitting benches.
The discarded plastic containers with plants planted in them that are put down amongst the weeds in front of the rooms in my opinion do not do any justice to this house :) .
Perhaps with just a little TLC and a suitable maintenance programme Lebombo could once again be what it was, or intended to be, when it was built and donated to the Kruger back in 1979.

For larger groups Lebombo is still a good place to stay in Olifants Camp if you look past the maintenance issues.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Sharonb#

Wells Guest House Satara

Unread postby Sharonb# » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:53 am

Hi All
I've seen reports on Stanley and Frankel GH, does anyone have pictures and information on Well's please?
Thanks

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Wells Guest House Satara

Unread postby Leaping Lizards » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:56 am

Hi there Sharonb.

Our info might be a little out of date. We stayed there in 2010 for a few nights, and found it to be a wonderful house. Very spacious, a great location and with very good game viewing from the veranda. At the time, they had just installed a new TV and new furniture, so everything was spic and span. Reading through the guest book, I think the new furniture must have been just a few weeks old, and they seemed to be of a good quality. I would expect that they are still in a good condition today. (I base this on Melville, where we went back after many years, and the furniture was still the same, but in a good condition)

According to the guest book, some people complained about the proximity to the restaurant and that staff noise disturbed them. I had the room on that side of the house, and we did not have any such problems on any of the nights.
September - Orpen, Talamati and Satara :P

suebfly

Unread postby suebfly » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:28 pm

The extractor fan at the restaurant is very very noisy - it might be a good idea to find out what time it is turned off at night

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:42 am

Quite a few years ago we stayed in that house and on the lawn in front of the veranda there was a bird bath. It was visited on an ongoing basis by many feathered friends that afternoon :wink: . One morning when I opened the curtains there was a herd of elephant on the other side of the fence :D . Enjoy you stay Sharonb#.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

wbevents

Unread postby wbevents » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Previously stayed in almost all the guesthouses of Skukuza, just returned from a awesome family trip in Kruger, stayed few nights in Waterkant1 guesthouse, ................ :clap: :clap: :clap: the best one!!!!!!!!!!!!
Booked again for 2015 !
July 2016 booked !!!

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:09 am

Well done Skukuza :clap: :clap: :clap: . It is good news to read that the Guest Houses of the Kruger National Park are well cared for.

wbevents

Unread postby wbevents » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:29 am

Stayed in Skukuza's ABSA House (Wild Fig Guesthouse) over the weekend, everything worked, all in good condition, they are looking after the lawn, but after 2 years, still only the one oven working and and still the gap in the fence were the hyena came and visit ! :doh:

Top, top place !! :clap: :clap: :clap:
July 2016 booked !!!

stu

xanatseni guest house

Unread postby stu » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi mites heading back to kruger next year end may, although only so and myself im thinking of booking 3 nights at xanatseni guest house at mopani.would be grateful of any pics or updates if anyone has stopped there recently.i have checked outpics on forum links so any others would be appreciated many thanks stu.

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:56 pm

The Xanatsheni guest house is good for privacy and to experience an “away-from-it –all” bush feel. The outside bar/entertainment area faces the dam. The four rooms in the shape of rondawels are separate from the kitchen/lounge area and they are very comfortable. You should have a great time if you decide to book the guest house.

We personally prefer the dam view guest cottages as to us their view of the dam is better/stunning. A person also feel close and near to the dam and not a bit “removed” from the dam as in the case of the guest house. But it is a matter of personal preference.

Enjoy you Kruger trip next year Stu :thumbs_up:

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Stu I personally would rather go for the dam view guest cottages as their view is much better. They are popular though so check their availability. The guest cottages are roomy and has a nice veranda and a person can sit and watch the dam and veldt beyond for many hours. The guest house is great but to us it does not have the same view of the dam as the guest cottages.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

I was going through some of my old pics and came across some of our ones from when we first stayed at Nshawu guest house, so thought I would use the old adage of better late than never. :whistle:

The car park for the GH

ImageLarge

The entrance

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

The veranda from where one gets a spectacular view.

ImageLarge

The downstairs braai area.

ImageLarge

And the view!

ImageLarge
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:42 am

Happy memories Elsa, of when we joined you on your second visit there!!!! :dance: :dance:
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Virtual Potjie Competition for VHR Far School's Project

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Just as a hindsight and IMO I don't think I would go again in Feb like we did Val, it was just too scorching hot to sit out on that veranda during the day and I therefore I don't think we got to fully enjoy the outside areas and view as much as I would have liked.
but it was still fantastic! 8)
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:12 pm

I agree Elsa. :thumbs_up:
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Virtual Potjie Competition for VHR Far School's Project

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”