Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Single units
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:45 pm 

Today was the first day the public could book for December/January 2015/2016.

I duly phoned to try and book a single unit at Lower Sabie. There are only four of these. They were all booked.

My question is, given that they are obviously popular, why are there only four in all the Sanparks in the country?

In a world where there are increasingly more and more people who are single, why should these single people be obliged to pay for two every time they book?

Surely there is a need for single units at Punda Maria down through to Berg en Dal? Surely there is a need for some single units at other Sanparks reserves and camps?

KNP Lower Sabie 25 April to 3 May 2015

Post subject: Re: Single units
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:02 pm 

Interesting one Moira - I travel to Kruger on my own and I do find it expensive as I am paying the same for accommodation as I do when there are two of us. However I am afraid I cannot see there is really much demand for single accommodation as I have found there are very few people doing it alone. I find that people are always extremely surprised when they hear I am travelling alone - especially as I am female - I get many strange looks and remarks. So although it would be nice for those of us who enjoy being on our own I cannot see it being viable

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It might be better that you are charge per person and not per unit if it only accommodates 2 people. We are 3 adults and if I don't get a 3- bed unit I need to book two 2-bed units / 4-bed unit paying for 4 adults. Luckily there are more 3-bed units available at Kruger but not at other parks.

Basically if you miss out on the 3-bed you pay R1730 for a 4-bed / R2040 for 2 x 2-bed instead of R1265 for a 3-bed unit. All visitors travelling in uneven number often have to pay from R500 to R700 more for the one extra person if you don't get accommodation for the number you want.

Charging rather per person will be fair towards the single and uneven groups or at least at a surcharge of 20 % on single will even help instead of the full price for 2 people, e.g. a 2-bed unit at R455 for 2 people goes for R280 single.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:29 am 

good idea son godin but then wouldn't we all be booking larger more comfortable units or guest houses, just because we could??

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The single units are also used by Tour Guides. Other than Lower Sabie they also pay the unit base rate which is for 2 people.
The December bookings opened on 22 January (not 23) that is why the economical accommodation was snapped up Moira.
However the tour companies do put much of their pre-booked tours back on the system when deposits become due in 30 days. So just keep looking at availability.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:49 am 

Moira, not sure of the dates you are wanting but according to the Dec availability there seems to be some of the EH1 huts available.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

suebfly wrote:
good idea son godin but then wouldn't we all be booking larger more comfortable units or guest houses, just because we could??

You can still have a base rate to avoid that, e.g. base rate for 2 bed unit will 1 person, 3-bed unit 2 persons and 4 bed unit 3 persons. At the moment most base rates are 2 persons and higher for the guest house. If they can start off with a base rate of 1 person for the smaller 2-bed room units it will help a lot.

When you charge per person with a surcharge for single it will be the owner, in this case SANParks, that will benefit.

Lets look at the current fees and take the 3 bed bungalow as an example: Currently R1020 for 2 people and R1230 for 3 people. If the rates are per person at R510, the park can get R1530 when fully book, and the normal R1020 as base rate for 2 people.

In the case of a 2-bed unit the amount is also R1020. Make the single rate at 30 % more and ask R663 if a single person book. Yes they will lose R357 when a single person book, but gain R300 for the 3 bed unit. It just make sense to charge per person and to avoid people booking large units protect yourself by adding a surcharge to a single booking and relevant base rate.

The current tariffs are fine, but only benefitting those that can get a unit for the number of people.

If you divide by the max number of people allowed you pay the following per person:

Family unit : R432 pp for 4 people
3-Bed unit: R420 pp for 3 people
2-Bed unit: R510 pp for 2 people
2 x 2-Bed unit: R689 pp for 3 people
2-Bed unit single: R1020

At the moment the per person rate for similar type of accommodation (not size) varies between R420 to R1020. Its only fair if you can get the lowest rate, but very often you cannot and end up with a higher bill and still occupies a bed per person.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Are you not then punishing the person who has 3 people and uses the 3 people accommodation? Normally a family with 3rd person in general being a child.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:50 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I do agree with Moira, it would be most welcome if more single units could be made available.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Robert the current system only benefit 3 people if those units are available. If the park only have 2-bed or 4-bed units like at Augrabies, you will pay more at ~ R2000 for 3 people, while at a fix per person rate you will pay less.

Lodges that use per person rates normally have children rate so you won't pay more if the child is younger than 12 years. From 12 years you must already pay adult fees at SANParks and those sleeper coaches in some units are not for young adults forcing a family of 3 to move to larger units the moment the child turn 12.

The reason for my suggestion is that we as a family of 3 and must pay for 4 adults most of the time. Its going to be very costly to build more 1 bed or 3 bed units, while much easier to adjust tariffs so that the single person or odd number family does not pay more than couple or families of 4 per person.

Its an idea only, but while people pay more, the tariffs will not be changed to per person. So while the couple occupies the 3 bed room unit I will have to pay double to get 2 units or a larger unit that I only utilize 75 %. Fix rates and we all pay the same.