Skukuza Camping Info

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
TheunsH
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Skukuza Camping Info

Unread postby TheunsH » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:10 am

Hi there all,

We are planning a camping trip to Skukuza and I would like to know how long my power cable should be to have power at my site! I was thinking 30m, is that long enough? :hmz:

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Camping at Skukuza

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:19 am

You should be fine with 30m Theuns :)
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 am

Hi Theuns

There are power points on that side and 30m should be ample, (i've been getting away with using a 20m cable).

Take note: Skukuza's ground is extremely hard so take along some lekker long nails and washers, they go in easy where a peg would normaly bend.

DinkyBird

Re: RECOMMENDED CAMP SITE - SKUKUZA

Unread postby DinkyBird » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:37 am

Lots of people also change sites, and so keep an eye out for someone who looks like they might be packing up and wait for them to move off.
Sawubona
Dalene

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 am

I agree with DB regarding arriving earlyish (not too early as people will still be packing up). Skukuza has a nice variety of campsites, and can basically be divided into two sections:

Coming from reception there are campsites to the right and a bit further to the left.

Campsites to the right
This side is closer to the fence with a few sites being along the fence, but are on a bit of a slope. There are sites further up behind the ablutions but not very shady. I find this side's ablutions to be the best of the two.
Campsites to the left
These are generally shadier but beware where you set up. There are sites that are quite low down (upon reaching the camping area, first road to the left). These are nice and shady but if there is a downpour of heavy rain you WILL get flooded out. Rather take the second road to the left, these are closer to the ablutions and kitchen, nice and shady and reasonably flat. This side of the camping area's ablutions are in my opinion rather run down. One bonus is that these sites are closer to the pool, buuut ...... can also be a bit heavy in foot traffic depending where you set up.

PS the ground is extremely hard there so be prepared. I use a 4lb mallet and long thick masonry nails and washers, work like a charm.

AWOL_loki

Unread postby AWOL_loki » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi, you can drive around the campsite using google maps. Here is the link to the first road to the right by the fence.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:26 pm

You cannot request specific camp sites for Skukuza ... it is a 'choose from what is available' camp.
There are many level camping areas, under shade, but not really next to the fence.
The sites next to the fence are on a bit of a slope, and we have a Conqueror Commander, and it was strained to get level :lol:
Just back from the fence though there are level sites, on terraces, and you might be lucky to get three together.
Early June is not yet school holidays, so I advise you to try get to the camp around 9am ... by then most who are moving out that day have left and there is the biggest selection of sites available.
Sawubona
Dalene

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

Unread postby GlenD » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Anyone camped at Skukuza recently? What are the ablutions like? Last time I stayed there about 5 - 6 years ago they were not too good.

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby spargish » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:32 am

Hi GlenD

For me the ablutions in Skukuza are fine. Its the attitude of most the campers that are terrible. People make a huge mess and don't clean up after themselves.

They shower and let water flow all over the floor etc, here is a tip for them, they mop is there to clean up your mess!
NO to OSV privleges! Equality for all Guests!
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:41 am

We found the ablutions cleaner than past visits, and the camping area as well. This is about 5 weeks ago. Agree with above post, it's visitors who create the mess expecting someone to clean up after them and do not leave it as found.
Sawubona
Dalene

angiek

Unread postby angiek » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:49 am

I can't understand why people always have to make a mess and then expect the next person to clean it. There is a mop in each ablution block (mens and ladies) to just mop the shower/bath after use, but some people just find this too much effort. Have heard children say "wow, look the lady is moping the floor. I rather go shower when there are few people about than during the morning/evening rush, but still make sure the floor is dry when I leave.
Worst is the people who complain the most about the conditions are the worst offenders !

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:08 pm

Glen, we camped on the 'other' side so did not use that ablution block. I did use it a year ago, and it seemed fine to me.

I prefer the 'other' side because if one is really lucky one can get the bottom level site next to the fence ... lovely shade, fence, birds ... and away from the madding crowd.
Sawubona
Dalene

Jenky

Unread postby Jenky » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi guys

I'm coming up to Skukuza in early March to camp in the campsites. Can anyone tell me if you get the hyenas that patrol the fence line like you do at Satara? I've seen them there before a few years ago but on chatting to an avid Kruger fanatic the other day he says that they don't come to the fence anymore...Has anyone seen them there and are they regulars as at Satara?

I've got a friend staying with me from America and thought it might be a good experience for him to see them there but I am not to sure anymore if they still patrol the fence line.

Will be looking forward to your replies.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi Jenky

They were most certainly there last October when we camped along the fence. One night they made a heck of a noise and others in the camp told us it was because the hyena had killed an impala.
Sawubona
Dalene

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:30 pm

I don't think there are many camps in Kruger where Hyenas don't patrol the fence line!
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”