Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:46 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The fever tree forest is on the way to Crooks corner.

Also look out for Crowned Hornbill in PM camp. There is also a short walking trail in camp. If you're self-catering then make sure you buy groceries outside the park because the shop at PM is not very well stocked at all.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We had a WONDERFUL time in Punda Maria.
We stayed in a Safari Tent and were treated like VIP's.
The staff were amazing and very friendly.
The Flycatcher trail offered a new bird on our list (Yellowbreasted Apallis) and the Mahonie loop was the BEST!!! :dance:

On 14 August (although we are not big 5 chasers) we saw the big 5 in one day - only on Mahonie loop.
The birding was fantastic and we saw crested guinea-fowl, crowned hornbill, Mashona Hyliota, purplecrested louries, Retz hermetshrike - I can go on forever (total of 92 birds for the 3 days and 7 new lifers).

PUNDA MARIA will be upgraded soon and management informed us that they will be moving the petrol station to the Punda Gate and they will be moving the reception and shop to the area where the petrol station is now.
The restaurant will be upgraded and will be in the same spot.
This is so exciting. :clap:

I don't know if you guys are aware that the little huts in Punda were declared a National Monument (built in 1933) and they cannot be changed.
They have however started with renovation of them inside.

Punda Maria - we love you! Will be back asap! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Some pics of the upgraded Family Units at Punda Maria camp:
ImageLarge

ImageLarge
Two en-suite bedrooms on the ground floor. There is another bedroom upstairs with bathroom and a viewing deck!
ImageLarge

Last edited by Elsa on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pics resized.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My one complaint about these is that the upstairs bedroom is not airconditioned. I don't know why this is done; it applies to other cottages (eg the 3 bedroom ones at Mopani, where 2 have aircon and the third does not).

Can make it difficult to decide who is getting which room!

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:03 am 

Hallo Carole

We stayed in tents at Punda August 2007 (no.1). They are not close together at all. Didn't even saw the neighbours.
Have got beautiful pictures (inside and outside of tents) but don't have time to post them on the forum. If you PM me I will e-mail them to you.

A Large spotted Genet came to visit right on our stoep at night.

LizzieO
KNP
3-7 April 08

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:37 pm 

Mgoddard wrote:

On this thread there is mention that PM would be upgraded, was this done?

Still ongoing, by the sounds of it.
Mgoddard wrote:

Is the shop still so sparsely stocked? If so I see the closest town is Makhado (Louis Trichard) 140km...way too far for me to drive and go and do shopping during the 3 wks I will be in PM.

Not great although we found the basics (tinned veg) and some meat there. What's your previous camp? It may be best if you are coming up from the south to pop out to Phalaborwa. Otherwise I think Makhado is about a 1-1.5 hour's drive away

We've got 4 days there in late Dec, I'll check it out for you. Although that may be skewed due to holidays.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This little camp has crept its way into my heart.....

There is something intangible about this camp that I really love...the atmosphere seems not to have changed much since the early years.....

I love the Mahonie Loop, the road near Dzundzwini and the area in general.

What I find really special about this camp is that when I have stayed there, the staff are clearly proud of their humble camp...it is a humble camp and that is one of the reasons why I love it.
Also, on two occasions that i have stayed there, I have given written feedback to the Camp Management and sent feedback and compliments to head office in PTA.....on subsequent visits I was delighted to see that my suggestions had actually been acted on!!
This has encouraged me to make notes regarding every camp I stay at, make suggestions if necessary and then forward them to the right people....it helps improve the experience for others and the encouragement inspires the staff.

There is a tree outside reception on the other side of the road...I think its either a tree fuschia or weeping boer bean or something similar...one September that we were there, the tree was ALIVE with sunbirds and other nectar feeders..butterflies too.
It was as if it was "The Tree of Life"...SO MUCH to see in one tree, the tree almost looked as if was being tickled by the fluttering and hopping and hovering on every branch......one of my happiest memories.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Bushmad, Punda is one of my fave camps, spent one night having a braai next to the fence at the birdhide, saw Ellie, Buffalo, Lion &.....wait for it.....Rhino of the Black kind :dance: at the mudhole below the hide.. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:32 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I also love Punda, that old world charm and all. I also love the fact that it always the last camp to book out in busy periods.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:51 am 

yep arks, the petrol station is still there, or it was at the end of june this year.

Post subject: Re: Punda Maria Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:14 pm 
Just a quick question for the guys who know Punda Maria well.…..I have tried to do searches on the forum but seems all is not working that well….or I just do not know how to use the new format :redface: (and currently do not have time to figure it out)

If you had to chose between tents #5, #6 or #7 at Punda…which one will be the better one? (these are the only ones available for the time we wish to visit). Is #5 possibly right next to the fence?
I have previously stayed in #2…really a nice unit….this will however be my SO’s first stay in these tents and it would be nice if we get a good one….especially seeing that he has not been in northern Kruger for quite a few years.
On the same night that we want to stay at Punda, almost the whole of Sirheni is available…a camp we have visited many time and always enjoyed….I’m a bit in 2 minds…staying in one of the “not so nicely placed” tents in Punda (for SO to experience them) or just take another night at Sirheni. :?

Oh, and while on the Punda thread….I have to boast about a sighting Zebra and I had during our visit in October 2007….on the H13-1, about 5 km before the turn-off to Punda, we saw a lone Eland bull….was Zebra’s first ever sighting of an Eland and only my 3 rd in Kruger. 8)

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jumbo :D

5, 6 and 7 are not near the fence.

However, they are still great...I would avoid 7 as it looks onto the "road" and you would see everyone driving past.

5 is set back from the others and is at the highest point in that part of the camp and has a good view out towards the South and West, it also feels very private. It has a long board walk, the longest of them all , the first few metres are shared with number six which turns off to the right lower down.

So 5 would be my first choice of the tree and 6 the second choice.

If your SO has never stayed there, go for it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just wondering if there is a little confusion Jumbo. Especially if its a few years since you were there.

The numbered tents are fixed tents and are no where near the fence; they are not in the area for camping at all. They are actually further up the hill from the restaurant / reception along with a few new cottages. Very plush and great views over the countryside - but nowhere near the fence!

Richard

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Pleasure Jumbo! I know you'll want to go again.

RH, you are right, the tents are set well back from the camping area in their own section of the camp with lots of natural bush having been retained around them.

However, they are quite close to the Western boundary fence and numbers 3 and 4 have a view over the fence, in fact, number 4 is right alongside the Western boundary, the rest are not.

There are wonderful birds flitting around in the trees around the tents, I had a Rock Monitor peer up at me from below the deck of number 5...lots of interesting things inside the camp itself. The tents are also a short walk from the Fly Catcher Trail.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:11 am 
Thanks Richard and Bushmad 8)

I have had the pleasure to stay in one of these tents last year October (in #2), but were enjoying being back in northern Kruger so much that I did not go and look at placement of the other tents.
I remembered that somebody, somewhere on the forum, mentioned that one of the tents are close to the fence….so I suppose that will be #4 then?
Actually I do not care in what tent we are (more for the sake of the SO), as long as I can get a proper photo of the Blue-Mantled Crested Flycatcher :roll: ….saw one last year but was unable to get a photo. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next