Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Punda Maria Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:33 pm 

Dear All

The first baby impala sightings were reported today. They were seen about 4km from Punda. Probably the rainy wheather that brought it on.

Punda greetings

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:21 pm 

Punda Maria has 16 camping site with power and 34 without. I notice that over the coming holidays all the power sites have been booked and a lot of non-power sites also booked.
My question is - what is stopping the people who have "non power" sites using the power anyway, and someone who has paid for power getting nothing. Is there any control over this ?

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The sites with power tend to be more 'central' rather than at the fence, so if you want power and a site at the fence bring a long lead! (I am just leaving Punda today after 2 nights here..... at the fence to the left of the hide)
camping sites report is a link to my report on the camping sites in Kruger - still have to complete the Punda report, and will do so later this week.

(Thanks DQ - cracked it at last....!)

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:50 am 

Dear Wildthing

I am glad to hear that you will be visiting Punda Maria soon. Unfortunately it is very difficult to control electricity and non electricity camp sites. Camp staff do however go trough the camp site and do spot checks as often as possible. Also, there are more electrical sites available in the camping area than what is available on the reservation system, specifically for the reason that the camping area is so big and spread out. It would also be advisable to bring a long extension as some of the good sites are far from power points. Most people leave early on their day of departure if they are going to other camps. This gives an opportunity for people who arrive early to take up the best of those vacated sites.

Hope to see you at Punda

Regards

Levuvhu

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:27 am 
ndloti wrote:
Is building activity complete in Punda camp ?
There was very noisy activity from the renovations taking place at the bungalows in Sept .

We were in Punda last week….They are still building, but we stayed in the safari tents and from there you are not aware of the building going on :wink: …..we had a lovely stay. 8) It was the first time my SO stayed in these tents (I stayed there last year while I took Zebra to the north) and he was just as impressed with these facilities as I was after my first stay.

@Levuvhu, not a complaint, but just something you guys must look at….we stayed in #3 and basically had no hot water. I suppose you turn down the geysers temperatures in summer, but I think there is a problem at tent #3 ….the water is barely lukewarm. I think mostly people will not mind this with the summer temperatures in that area, but we struck a fluke with actual cold weather :shock: ….what can I say, my shower at 3:45am that following morning was really “refreshing” (and fast) :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:33 pm 

Hi GS - hope Jumbo has more pics than I do, but here are two I do have.

Mohonie Loop is looking beautiful. We could have driven round and round it for days on end. Had great sightings. Both days, lion for one. The little guys were awesome too - and of course the baby impala 8)

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jen wrote:
I have booked a Tent for May - have not stayed in them before - which number has the best view????

Just page back , from page2 onwards there is quite a lot of advice regarding best tents .
I chose tent 4 with a western view , was happy with the view .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:11 pm 

I have to agree. Nr 4 is a great tent, and feels nice and private. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:02 pm 

Hi

I am looking for the location of the BD3 bungalows at Punda Maria....all I can find on the Punda map, is BG3 (number 19, 20, 21 & 22).

Also curious to know what they look out on...the road? (and what is across the road?), or do the bungalows look towards each other?

And, last question, heard there is a communal braai area for bungalow residents....is this still the case and where is it?

Thanks!

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Numbers 19 to 22 used to be BG3, but have been upgraded to DB3. (Three beds with kitchenette). We have just booked one for next Jan, after staying in the BG2 huts on 1 and 2 Jan. They are also being refurbed.
They are on the back row, end nearest the gate. As far as I can tell they face away from the road.
There is a communal braai area acrossthe road from huts 10 11 and 12. I don't think the area is particularly well organised, there are 4 double braais each with a grid that folds in two. There are only two tables to sit at so I'm not sure how eveyone can eat if all braais are used.
In fact this area, together with the communal kitchen, with 2 rings and a non functional guyser, was one of the main reasons we booked the BD3.

Look at the photos on the availibility page, this should give you an idea of the inside of the huts.

Ast binman bin mam?
Lancashire dialect

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

New Year trip 2014-2015 booked.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

13 -22 look onto the back of the front row (1- 12) huts , which front on the entry road , so you do see passing traffic or at least only hear traffic if in 13 -22 .
The communal braai / picnic site is on top of a terrace (above the camping area) roughly in the area opposite huts 1 - 6 .

If you are considering spending a lot of daytime hours in the camp I would certainly recommend the quieter safari tents , as passing traffic would worry me .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:49 pm 

Thank you, this is the kind of info I wanted!

ndloti, unfortunately the safari tents are only 2 bed :( ...we need three beds.

DavenJan, you are going to Punda for exactly the same dates again :)

Do these upgraded units have their own braai's now, or must you also use the communal braai area? :?

28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
12/12 - 18/12 Satara

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Rooikat,
Yes, 1 and 2 January 2010. after 3 nights Satara and 3 nights Shingwedzi.

Not sure regarding the braais, we only decided to book the BD3 after we got back. We battled one evening with the communal braai, wood too thick so it took forever. So we are planning to take food we can cook on our skottel next time. People did have good fires going the next evening, but it seemed to take longer than in the 'individual' braais.

Ast binman bin mam?
Lancashire dialect

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

New Year trip 2014-2015 booked.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:06 pm 

We had bungalow 20 - one of the 3 beds with kitchen. As Ndloti says they look onto the backs of the row in front. I spent sometime outside reading and the noise from the road didn't bother me too much. However, unless you are nosey and like watching what everyone else is doing then I think sitting outside the front row would drive me insane.

The refurbed cottages are superb. You get a real feel of understated luxury. Well done to the camp management for such a tasteful refurb. :clap:

One point I have to make about cottage 20. It is designated wheelchair accessible and I would say it is just that rather than wheelchair friendly. There are ramps to get into the bungalow but once inside it will be a tight fit, especially in the bathroom, where there is a small step and no room whatsoever for a wheelchair.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:55 pm 

saraf, did you have your own braai at no.20?

28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
12/12 - 18/12 Satara

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next