Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:32 pm 
This is a must drive road for me when I visit the park. Leeubron has been very good to me in the past. Saw my only eland in the TPS vicinity. The road north always some giraffe, buffalo and a rare sighting of a dead hyena next to the road a couple of years ago.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:54 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

On the northern section (I think it was anyway) of the S39 we counted 97 Giraffe in a one km stretch in June 05. Now THAT was a really awesome sight :!:

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:13 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

There is no animals on that road :evil:
Done that road million times (because SO love the road) and have seen nothing exciting on that road, so when SO turn into the road I move my seat bacwards and take my book out to read.
I do not like that road, the same as WTM do not like the S100

Kruger booked for 2015.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:11 pm 

I was also there June 05 and saw the giraffe. I did not count them but there was lots of them.

I also saw a Leopard between Goedegun and roodewal

The part south of the picnic spot was less productive.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree with opinions already expressed namely, the southern part of this route has never treated me very well regarding game sightings (but good bird life).

However, the northern section is IMO one of the better roads in the park. I reckon it to be a good road for lion and especially cheetah. Timbavati is also one of my favourite picnic spots.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I do like the picnic spot. Also the sighting of one of the most magnificent trees just before the picnic area.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The road is ok , the northern part is better , but i find the south has a lot of surprises in store .

After going to the kruger since i was about 3 months old ,
I saw my very first honey badger along that road at age 31 , on trip number who knows , which broke the honey badger ice for me , as I saw honey badger number 2 that evening at tamboti :D , What a celebration that night .

My folks saw serval with kittens playing next to the road on the southern part , and the noobs dont even carry a camera :? , im not to sure if I should accept this as a valid sighting or not 8)

But best thing is the baobab tree , as my grandparents always used to talk about it so fondly from there early day trips to the park in like the 1950's :shock: , i have all there old slides , and when i have a spare month to go through them all , maybe i will find 1 of them at the tree .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
There is the best Boabab ever on that road.
.... but what other treasures, serval and honey badger :D :D :D :D
I also however agree with Oumie ... what a bumpy road.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My spell is broken on that rd - had long spell of not seeing stuff, but with time, have gathered lions, cheetah,a nd a leopard up to now on that rd. Just keep driving it..will produce.

have faith dear people..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:23 am 
We've had so many good sightings on this road north and south.
Lions (more than I even can count) even a few times at Leeubron
Leopards including having 2 separate leopard sightings about 3km from each other on the same drive.
Cheetahs on one occasion we had 2 cheetahs entertaining us for about 1‚ 1½ hour. They we casually strolling down the road, rolling around in the sand every now and then, and even made a mock charge to a giraffe
Caracal family with kittens only saw them for a second before they disappeared in the bush have a short video clip of their ears between the grass :(
Other special sightings include: honey badgers, ostriches and rhinos (several on the northern part).
This road is definitely one of our favourites.

Post subject: Timbavati Road S39
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
S39

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I think it is referred to as King Solomons mines as it resembles them so much. I have very similar pic of it

Post subject: Timbavati Road
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:36 pm 

Hi,

I'm entering Kruger at Orpen gate to get to Olifants for 2 nights. Should I turn off main orpen/satara road onto the timbavati road all the way to olifants. Is it a productive road or is there a better alternative. Please also advise on good roads in Olifants area.

Thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Frog and welcome!

We have stayed at Olifants a number of times and know the area quite well. Firstly, are the 2 nights at Olifants the only nights you will be spending in the park? And, are you intending to drive there directly from Jo'burg?

If the answer to both questions is yes, I would have to say that it is quite a long drive for just two nights and I strongly recommend that you try book a night or two at Tamboti or Satara to break the drive so that you can take your time when in the park. It is not difficult to get to Olifants from Jo'burg but it is better to break the drive and have the luxury of choice when driving to Olifants as the roads are wonderful, for scenery and game if you are lucky.

If you plan on reaching Olifants from Jo'burg in one day, I would probably take the tar all the way. This is because when trying to reach a camp to book in, we dont like to arrive too late so that we can have a nice leisurely drive in the late afternoon. However, you could do the S39 all the way up, it all depends on time. The main road is also very productive so you cant go wrong in terms of game viewing.

Once at Olifants, I recommend the S89, S90 and S91 there is an active Hyena den along the S90 right now so make sure not to miss it (check the Hyena and Wild Dog Den thread). Take a drive to Bangu waterhole, the road there is good and we always have worthwhile sightings in the viciniy of the waterhole. I love the S39, a morning drive from Olifants to Timbavati picnic site is great from there. The opposite in the afternoon is equally good. A drive up to Letaba is worthwhile if you have more time, and use the S44(?) gravel road running parrallel to the river early morning or late afternoon. I find the southern routes more productive though, although the area around Letaba is great for elephants.

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi frog. Welcome to the forum!

I have only been once to Kruger but I will give you my humble opinion. If you have time, I would take the H7 from Orpen directly to Satara and then continue on the S100 (N'wanetsi River Road) and then up to Olifants via the S41 (hope you have a map) If you have less time you can take the main H14 towards the north from Satara and then turn off at the S91 which gives you some beautiful views of the Olifants river and it's elephants.
I have not suggested the Timbavati Road, because, although this road is very beautiful, I saw very little wildlife. Maybe I was just unlucky.
Around Olifants, the S44 and S93/46 which go along the Letaba river were quite rewarding with elephants, kudu and sometimes leopard.The view from Olifants viewpoint is splendid.

Try posting your message on the general advice thread as it would be more consulted than the Timbavati thread. More experienced Kruger fans will give you their opinion.

Regards

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next