Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Tent Pegs
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:04 pm 

In the United Arab Emirates we use Coleman pegs in the mountains, its about 10in long and 10mm wide. We hammer them into extremly rocky ground, getting them out is another story. The coleman peg will go into the Pretorius Kop soil like a hot knife into butter, promise that.

Happy camping

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Seapit1,

The real hotspot for Rhino is Berg-En-Dal, but Pretoriuskop is a close second. Pretoriuskop is great for spotting the rare antelope like Sable, Tsessebe, Eland, Lichtenstein's Hartebeest. Lion are also in the area, especially the S65, S3 & just after the T junction (H3 & H1-1). Elephant are common on the S1 & H1-1. Leopard hotspots include the H2-2, S3 & S7. The second best road in the whole park to see Wild Dogs is on the H1-1 & the H1-1 is a reall hotspot for Cheetah. Beware the grass is very tall in the area, but the camp itself is spetacular, it has an amazing atmosphere & the pool is stunning.

Post subject: Pretoriuskop Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:54 pm 

Hi

Can anyone tell me which one of the Family Cottage's (FS6 - NO 112 to 114) at Pretoriuskop has the best position & view

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:06 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Lourenco
This quote is from Freda
Quote:
No 114 is in a nice position, nearest to the fence and also the swimming pool, we were in 115 and 116 this weekend, lions kept us awake at night and we had ellies right next to the fence this morning. Lovely weeping boerbean trees right outside full of birds.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:00 am 

Hi,does anyone know where to book from? Which is better to book from central reservations or from other travel agents?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:21 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Central reservations, as you only pay the price of the accomodation, and not a fee for making your reservation. You can do it from here, and you can check availability here first.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:40 am 

Has anyone stayed in the luxury bungalows at pretoriuskop, we have booked for 3 nights in August 2007, and just wanted some feedback..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:13 am 

Hi UK Golf Guy

We have stayed in the luxury bungalows overlooking the lawn that leads to the pool ....about 23 yrs ago ...been camping ever since but they are great...you will enjoy them as they are the best at P Kop

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have always stayed at least 2 nights at PK during my visits to the Park, either huts or bungalows, depending on availability.
The proximaty of the camp to dams (Mestel, Vervoerdam) makes it the ideal place to either relax at the dam, take an early morning or late afternoon drive.
For me this area has always produced something special. In July 2006 we saw wilddog at Mestel dam, 20 min later we found 3 cheetah very close to the dam, we stayed with them for about 3 hrs (we were the only ppl). During the same holiday, I have seen rhino on the S14 and Lion on the H1-1. Elephants at Vervoerdam and inbetween and buffalo.
I think the above speaks for itself, it will always be my fav camp as far as opportunities go...

Post subject: Pretoriuskop Huts
Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:17 pm 

Hi Everyone, Last Thursday, stayed overnight at Pretoriuskop, in a "Hut" for the first time!(On Business in Park.)! Well to my surprise, this was different, to the usual Bungalow which my Family and I enjoy! So much so, I just booked one for the weekend 25th May, Just to show them what its like to just walk to ablution, rather than have it next door....! Not sure if you maybe feeling the "pinch" as it were,as I am, but it now becomes very affordable, if one compares R245.00p/n to R500.00plus p/n...if you compare the two? Just ONE thing, that was irritating, was , in the hut, there is a basin, and there was during the course of the entire night, an almost hissing sound of high pressure water flowing! Not sure if this is the norm, but will check at end of month! Stayed in hut 106...anyway there was plenty game to see, 7 Rhino 4 km from camp on Skukuza road, Lichtenstein Hartebeest, Cheetah, plenty Kudu, Buffalo and Elephant. :D [/b]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:36 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I think the huts are great. I find them very cosy and comfortable.
I never had any basin noise, maybe there was a problem specific to that hut.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:33 am 

Hi all you cheapskates

Have been staying in huts for years. Another alternative is booking a hut for the adults and a campsite for the children.
I hate camping but the children find it very adventurous to sleep in a 2 man tent. Make sure that you get a hut close to the camping area so that the children are within earshot and Bob's your uncle. This way you can do 5 nights in KNP for less than R2000.00

Another cheapskate
LizzieO

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi DDW !

We left Pretoriuskop , well, yesterday :wink:

The vegetation at the moment is really thick and the gras high. We have been driving an Nissan x-trail and in some places could hardly see over the gras. If you are travelling with a sedan it might be that in some places you will see literally nothing.
Small mammals like Steenbuks, Duiker, Mongoose you are just able to see if they are in the middle of the road. As soon as they step into the gras they disappear.
We had some lovely Rhino sightings, along the S7 and on the S1 on the way to Albasini Ruins. We saw nice huge groups of Kudus and Buffalos there as well.
In some places there have been bush fires, there you got the chance to see a bit more, nice green patches of gras are around these areas and you find lots of Zebras and Impalas there.
We saw Rhinos and Ellies as well on Voortrekker Road.
The Impies are in rutting season at the moment and it is really interesting to observe them.
We saw Sable right beside the main route to Numbi Gate yesterday morning, between the S1 and S10.
But we saw a lot, some very nice birds in an around the camp.
And it was a pleasure to just drive around.

So enjoy the landscape,the roads around P'kop and Kruger.

Katy

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

mikev wrote:
Actualy they are arguably the best family units in the park especialy because the kitchen (and fridge) is indoors not on the patio so more safe against baboons etc . (compared to Orpen say for eg. ) .

Similar units (in terms of facilities) available at Pretoriuskop... three bedroom (one double, two rooms of two singles ea), two bathroom, kitchen, living area, patio, on the eastern edge of the camp. Comforters on the beds, well equipped, bla bla bla.

Lovely lawn between the unit and the internal fence, lots of warthog and impala between the two fences, guinea fowl all over the show.

Cost - R940/4, plus R190 per person taking up the remaining two beds.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:37 am 

Same here.
cant wait :D
Trip report from Pretoriuskop
Imipisi has written about the roads and animals

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next