Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:53 pm 

Hi Anne-marie
No photo's but about 5 min of video-yes the trip report wil come in due course
Friedrich-the new Picknick spot is not finished yet-was closed when we passed it and looks like lots of building still going on.
The area seems to have escaped a lot of burning this year with just small patches here and there that was burned-grass was very long still in places that made game viewing difficult,even from a double cab.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:57 pm 

My husband and me went for a quick trip to the KNP last week. We stayed in a bungaloo (small one). We are campers and oh boy I really missed it. I like to sit outside my tent and enjoy the nature. The bungalo's (rooms rather) were very close to each other. When you braai you are very close to your neighbours. You can hear everything they are saying. The camp itself is clean and I always liked Pretoriuskop. We saw a beautiful cheetah and the next morning a leopard on our way to Skukuza. We saw rhinosaurus etc. at Pretoriuskop. Before we saw two lions one morning basically 200 metres from the camp. The restaurant - it was a Friday evening. There were no pies, no chicken wings - I did not know what to order. There is not a huge variety of cooldrinks. When we wanted to order the waiter first had to go either to her computor or to the kitchen to find out if it is there. My husband ordered steak, egg and chips - I gave him some of my food. I think I would have been hungry if I finished that plate. I, at the end, ordered chicken salad and had a huge plate of salad with a lot a chicken strips. My food was wonderful. BUT the service at the restaurant - there is no service at all. The rooms were clean, but the linen on my bed did not look clean. I did not see any cleaner during the two days we were there. The guests did not clean the bathroom - so it was really very dirty. I would like to see notices on the doors of the bathroom where guests are asked to leave the bathroom as they would want to find it. We ENJOYED the beautiful swimming pool!

Post subject: Pretoriuskop Camp Layout
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:29 pm 

Can someone please tell me which bungalows have been assigned to the BD2Z range. Much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Camp Layout
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:41 pm 

Hi Tollie,

I am not sure if you mean what type and the facilities of that particular bungalow?
but here are the details as per the website.

Here

Hope it helps.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:01 pm 

Hi Elsa

Thanks for the update. I also wanted to know which bungalow numbers refer to the BD2Z bungalows. I have in the meantime phoned the camp and was told that numbers 115 and 116 are the allotted ones.

Again, thank you!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here is a link to the map, hopefully it will open in full.

Camp Map

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:54 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Bushbuddies :D

I have rather a soft spot for the camp. I just don't like the actual camping area as I have found it too crowded.

The camp itself has a lovely atmosphere and is the only camp in Kruger to keep oriental trees. This is becuase they were planted by Harry Wolhuter and they have great historical significance. The swimming pool area is a birders paradise. I often go there to "chill" when the sun is really hot.

I do love Mestel dam and Shitlhave dam for sunset drives.

This was taken on the main road to Skukuza, close to the camp.

The S3 is the road where I have had my most Raptor sightings. It was rainy and every raptor in paradise seemed to be perched on a tree.

I also have a great liking for the Voortrekker road. It can be a road that delivers in abundance, or one that is rather quiet. I just like the road though and love to think of the history of this area.

The Mitomeni dam area is often productive for birders.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:27 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
In May I saw Sables in Voortrekker road... well camouflaged... but still Sables :wink:
I like Mestel waterhole and Shilthave... and got lost in Fayi loop :lol: even with an help :redface:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:06 pm 

anne-marie wrote:
and got lost in Fayi loop :lol: even with an help :redface:
Not difficult to get lost in that area, I recall driving a couple of times around some of the loops unintentionally! :wink:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Anne Marie :D

I always get lost on Fayi loop :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Primate Problem @ Pretoriuskop
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:57 am 

OK, it's confirmed, Pretoriuskop is suffering from a MAJOR primate problem with Baboons and Vervet Monkeys alike....and it seems like nothing or very little is being done to solve the problem :hmz: I know that monkeys and baboons are part of Kruger and a problem in most camps...BUT the situation at Pretoriuskop is getting out of hand. The troops doesnt even leave camp anymore, they stay in the camp!!!! They also learned the skill of attacking in numbers and they surely know the effectiveness of persistance because they just dont back-off anymore...their aggresive approach to humans is also a matter of consern!!!

Ya, I know it's their place and we are only visiting BUT the camps are tourism facilities and visitor safety needs to take high priority but this is clearly not happening!!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Primate Problem @ Pretoriuskop
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:33 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This must be a very difficult problem to resolve. I wonder if camp staff could use mace or something similar that is able to be sprayed at the animals which would provide temporary discomfort? Pretty hard to do when you are dealing with a number of animals ranging all over! I don't know what non-leathal means would be effective :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:04 am 
Guru
Guru

Morning 'Mites

I will forward this to Pretoriuskop and will post their feedback here on the forum. :)

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:43 am 

Thanks lesego, we all await their feedback.
Ditto all said....DONT FEED THE ANIMALS!!!
Make sure litter is securely dispossed of.!
Educate everyone that you meet.

Although I dont know how often you have to shout, sing, make posters etc saying DONT FEED THE ANIMALS, yet people continue to do so!!! :slap: :wall: :wall:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:29 am 

Rooie wrote:
Good day all. We will be leaving for Pretoriuskop on 20 April 2012 and this actually came as a shock!!! We encountered lots off problems with Primates during our camping live and now I wonder if we should go??? :hmz:

You must go! Just do as advised and make sure you take all the necessary precautions. :wink:

We thought we had the whole thing of camping baboon proof totally waxed ... but they still beat us at it. You live and learn :P

A lesson that one needs to pack all food containers away, inside. (with windows/doors closed)

They are not interested in tinned goods :whistle: (even organic, the fussy things!)

They cannot open a strap around an ammo box ... but they will chuck the box around trying to.

Haspin staple also beats them ... but again the box gets thrown around and the contents become .... very messy :evil:

And welcome to the forums Rooie! :dance:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next