SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Advise
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:08 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Shitlehave dam is also a stunning place for sundowners.

seen close to Shitlehave.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:17 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We have seen cheetah several times on the main road near PKop Camp, and loads of rhino.

The pool is indeed the best in the park, for when you have finished your game viewing.

We also love Shitelhave Dam, though sadly sundowners (of the alcoholic nature) are no longer permitted!! :cry:

Safe travels and hope that you have a wonderful stay! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:32 pm 

Riaan, I am sure you will have the best chance ever in the time you are visiting as the grass won't be quite as long, so I am sure you are going to see lots especially if you are out at gate opening.
Some more good tips and advice Here

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or insects (2012)
Hi Riaan,

I am sure you will have a wonderful time at P-Kop - it really does have a charm of its own.

For what it's worth from our experiences, I would be ready to leave at camp opening and head towards Numbi gate and then take the Albasini road (past Mestel) where we have seen cheetah and serval, turn eastwards along the Doispane road and stop off at Lake Panic. Retrace your route for a while and take the S65 southwards (have had wonderful lion and giraffe sightings along this road), then on to Transport Dam for an hour or so (just never know what will come to drink here, both birds and mammals) then slowly back towards camp calling at Shitlhave and a quick look around the Fayi Loop. That should give you some good sightings for day 1. Day 2 I would try the Fayi loop to start, thern amble along the Voortrekker road, have a break at Afsaal and then go north either on the tar H3 or the sand S114 to check out Biyamiti weir and back to camp via Transport, Shitlhave Dams. We have also been lucky with bird sightings actually in the camp itself. I am sure you will have a fabulous time whichever road you travel.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:10 pm 

Hi Riaan.

Have been visiting PK frequently for the past 24 years, and yes it's true that the area has build up a reputation of "nothing to see", all thanks to the vegetation. Yes, it makes game viewing more challenging but hey that's part of the fun! We visited in December 2010 after an absence of 5 years.
The statement: Nothing to see - Not true!
For some people when they have not seen lions or the whole of the big 5 in an area in 1 day it' s not even worth returning :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

carolv wrote:
Hi Riaan,

I am sure you will have a wonderful time at P-Kop - it really does have a charm of its own.

We have also been lucky with bird sightings actually in the camp itself.

Couldn't agree with you more Carol! PK a birders dream! Spotted this beauty infront of bungalow.

Purplecrested Lourie by twigga2011

To add as previously mentioned:
Voortrekker Road a must - If you're lucky you might just spot the local Sable on this road.
Not even 1km out of camp you'll spot the entrance to the Circle Loop on your left, do make an effort to drive this little loop. Upon exiting on our last day we drove past and saw this bum shot. He was very aggro and graced us with his presence for a few moments.

Bum Shot by twigga2011

Spoke to friends who visited 2 weeks ago, said alot of the area was burnt. Bad news for them but great news for you. With a little rain by the time you are there it will be paradise!
Nevertheless enjoy!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Riaanf31

Pretoriuskop is a very special place! Birding inside the camp is spectacular...
We were there last December, and you can glance at what we experienced. Will be back this coming December for another 7 nights!
TR: viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=50662&start=45

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:03 pm 

Hi everyone

I'm staying over in PK for the first time on Friday night and staying in a Hut (the one's with only 2 beds a fan and no electrical plugs) does anyone know if these units have their own braaiertjie outside the unit and I see on the camp map there is a Boma. Is the overnight visitors allowed to use this facility or is it only reserved for special guests

21/05/2012 to 23/05/2012 SATARA
23/05/2012 to 25/05/2012 BALULE
25/05/2012 to 27/05/2012 TZENDZE

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:00 pm 
Riaan...to answer one of your questions: Borderline has seen awesome stuff including lion on his last two Night drives from Pretoriuskop...it will be cold, though! 8)

Welcome to the forums, Vleisvreter! :thumbs_up:

Yes, every hut has a braaiertjie! No, the boma is for arranged stuff!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:09 pm 

Hi Cheetah,

Your speedy cat was seen on the Mphongolo Loop about 1km north of the Sandpiper waterhole. There was a Hyena den nearby too, but can't remember the exact distance North of the waterhole, but approx 1km and the den was in the piping under the road for water overflow.

The S56 was teaming with a massive herd of buffs as we approached the Babalala picnic and waterhole. Not the first time, we had to wait a good 30 minutes for them to clear off.

To all,

What are 5 good birds to look out for in Pretoriuskop area and when is the last time anybody has seen a Pel's Fishing Owl, never seen one and odds are getting smaller.

May 2014 Trip: Skukuza 10/11 May; Satara 12/13 May; L/Sabie 14 May; P/Kop 15 May.

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop rocks!!!!!!!
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:18 pm 

I booked our accomodation for Pretoriuskop this morning, not out of choice but it was the only camping still available in the South of Kruger (:doh: for booking so late - I blame my indecisive family :roll: )

I don't regret this slip of fate as it will be something new and exciting :dance: especially after having read the above posts :thumbs_up:

But am a little concerned because this will be our first stay in this camp, we are a full party of 6 and will need to set up 2 tents and park 2 cars. The gentleman at the reservations center advised that we should be fine, but I just have a nagging feeling. :?

Can anyone tell me the approximate sizes of the camps (in meters if possible), are they marked, and if there are many trees there?

Any other info also welcome :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:20 pm 

Pretoriuskop is one of our favourite camps, it has the most fabulous pool and last year we saw 7 wild dog about 3km from camp and we were with them for about 20 mins on our own!! :D
we've had fab rhino sightings also
My girls love this area because of the history of 'Jock of the Bushveld'
It may be hard viewing in the summer time but we have had some fantastic sights there.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:53 am 

KDJ, I am sure if you have a look Here you will be able to get a pretty good idea what the sites are like.
Enjoy your trip. :thumbs_up:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi KDJ

Pretoriuskop is such a nice place to camp. It is clean and friendly (has one of the cleanest ablution blocks I have seen in Kruger, the top one that is) and the staff are always helpfull. Just watch out for the more hairy inhabitants i.e. Vervet monkeys, they are a nuisance so dont keep any food stuff inside your tent :tongue:
Fortunately, it is not as popular as some of the other camps in KNP but that is perfect for me as you dont tend to get the hoards of obnoxious 'Lion hunter' types who have little or no respect for anyone and take up half the camp grounds with one caravan (well in my experience at least).

Some camp sites tend to be on a bit of a slope but if you are lucky there are some really nice level ones and most are shady enough.

Enjoy it :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Good old Pretoriuskop!!! It was the first camp that I was priviledged to visit on my first ever trip to the Kruger, our daughter loves the pool, we always start our Kruger holiday at Pretoriuskop, either camping or staying in the huts. When in Pretoriuskop in July 2011 we went to Mestel Dam very early one morning, we were the only car there, we rolled down our windows, listened and absorbed the early morning smell, what a wonderful experience!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:46 pm 

hi all
Stayed in Pretoruiskop on Sunday and left early Monday morning and what waited for us about 400 from the camp gate-yes doggies!!We we the only people there and followed them for about 15 min before they ran off into the bushes-can one get so lucky om your last day in the park-what an end to a fantastic 10 days in "heaven".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next