Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Family Cottage location
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We were in a FF6DB in April this year. They are indeed facing the fence (in a northernly direction). It was great accommodation. We were only there for one night and did not have the impala around our unit. But the next morning we were quite "flooded" with baboons and monkeys when we packed up. My SO kept guard at the unit and my daughter stood guard at the vehicle while my son-in-law and myself carried our luggage out and packed it in the vehicle. One cheeky monkey still got the chance to grab a bunch of bananas when my wife turned her back.

Last edited by Stoffel on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:52 pm 

Thank you very much Stoffel - my mind is at rest now!We have booked for two nights this time and probably should have made it three but we have to get up to Roodewal and also to Mozambique so a bit pressed for time.After the many years that we have visited Kruger this May was our first visit to Pretoriouskop (just one night) and we thought it was a real gem -somehow we found it more rustic/bushlike? than some of the other maincamps. We also had monkey problems but not too serious -all part of the fun! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:43 pm 

pamelajane wrote:
Thanks Ruud - I can find FU4D but not FF6DB. Is 113 or114 the cottage I have booked?I wonder why Sanparks don't upgrade their maps as we had the same problem when we were booking at Nossob in the Kgalagadi.I'm so pleased that you replied as I have now had the pleasure of looking at your photos on your website - they are SUPERB! :clap:

Yes the FF6DB(it's the same as FU4D) are 113 and 114, it's a good place and You're right, it should be great when SANPARKS update their maps with the same accomodationtypes as you can book at the reservations-departement. And thanks for your compliments about our photos :thumbs_up:
Hopefully this year a new update from our last 5 weeks-stay in Kruger.

Ruud

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:16 pm 
Everything beautiful in the little village we know so well!

This two days ago...love it in Summer! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:38 am 

Good day Forumites

I mainly joined the forum for info on Mapungubwe, but have since discovered that this is a treasure chest of shared wisdom.

We will be in a EB5 (HUT) in P-kop this coming weekend. Can anyone cooment on these huts, the best one etc.

I've spent the best part of the morning reading through your comments (Note to boss: please don't read this) and I have found out a lot.

Has anyone here done the Madlabantu 4x4 trail?

Regards

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:54 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Stephan,

I cant comment on the huts you booked as we normally camp.

I have driven the Madlabanthu trail twice. I wrote a trip report here about the first time we did te trail.

We did the trail again towards the end of last year. It was dry and a totally different experience. We saw Sable close to Shabeni.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:37 pm 

Pretoriuskop is one of my hubbys and my best camps we had our honeymoon in the Kruger and Pretoriuskop was our first camp that we stayed at. If you can manage to get to the gate first,just one morning the main road between Pretoriuskop and Skukuza is well worth a drive. Some of our best sighting of Cheetah have been along that road, plus wild dog, plus Leopard at Shitlave Dam. Also do yourselves a favour go on all the links around Pretoriuskop we have had some wonderful sightings over the years. I really hope you have a great trip, and are blessed with many great sightings, and I hope you do not experience what you experienced last time!!!. :thumbs_up: Mama Faru

P.S. We have always found the staff at Pretoriuskop very polite and helpful. Godfrey who is the Manager in the shop is also such a great guy. 8)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:06 pm 

We spent our last two nights of our recent trip at Pretoriuskop and early on our last morning went for a short drive on the Fayi Loop where we had the privilege of seeing a cheetah, first lying against a big fallen branch not even 3m away from us. Then he marked his territory, with intent, all the way around the adjoining tree, totally oblivious to us, and proceeded to climb high onto a branch which he used as a "look out" to survey the surroundings. We were the only car there for as long as 15 minutes. What an incredible sighting that will remain etched in my memory! :D

Post subject: Pretoriuskop Advise
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:08 pm 

Hi All,

With our next trip to KNP, last week Oct and first week Nov, we're going to Pretoriuskop for the first time. We've included our favourites ( Skukuza, Lower Sabie and Satara to the list). Are there any do's or don'ts for this camp. We're in a bungalow as per normal.

Any good birding spots nearby or along a good route will also be most appreciated.

We're a couple that spends most of our time out and about and we are always waiting for the gates to open. The magic of the first hour, coffee in the flask and rusk in hand, can't be beaten.

The knowlegable guides (Patrick, Martie and Bridgeman etc) at LS are awesome so we'll be doing a drive there for sure. It is worth doing a drive/walk at Pretoriuskop? Satara will also see us for a night drive to see some kitty cats( never seen a Leopard near that camp in 5 visits). I'm not kidding!!

Look forward to hearing from the experts.

May 2014 Trip: Skukuza 10/11 May; Satara 12/13 May; L/Sabie 14 May; P/Kop 15 May.

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop Advise
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Riaanf,
in my opinion absolutely worth to do a walk there. I did one in May and enjoyed it a lot. I would do the Shabeni loop (S10) first thing in the morning and go to Shitlhave for the sunset. I know that some regular Pkop visitors would also reccommend the Fayi loop but I personelly never saw much there..Good luck :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:04 pm 

Hi

Pretoriuskop is very different from the mentioned camps as the game viewing is not the best, there is no river waterhole view and camp is not the scenic. That being said, it is one of my favorites. You must get one of the great bungalows overlooking the veld on the way to the pool. A braai is great idea. Also a swim in the best pool in kruger is a great idea! So spend time at the right bungalow, swim by the pool and do the voortrakker road drive!

Best advice I have!

NEXT TRIP:

June/July 2014
-Berg en Dal
-Olifants
-Orpen
-Satara
-Pretoriuskop
-Skukuza
-Letaba

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:06 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I always like to stop at Mitomeni on the Voortrekker road. Its a lovely peaceful place surrounded by Jakkleberry trees.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Seen Leopard on the Fayi loop, and lots of bird life early morning at Mestel Dam.

One of the few camps that has retained its charm

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have a very soft spot for Pretorius Kop. It has a charm all of its own. It is possibly a camp that can be enjoyed at every level. The historical significance of the camp is enormous. It is Harry Wolhuter's stomping ground.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Riaan

Pretoriuskop is not a Gameviewers paradise as such, but a really awesome experience.

Seen sable from there twice(shabeni loop and Shitlave dam), Tsetsebe on Voortrekker and all big 5 in the vicinity, also Cheetah near Mestel. So yes the animals are all there, just look.

Shabeni loop is a must, and I love the Fayi loop, see all the plains game.

Best interaction with ellies on Shabeni. Grass was long (higher than a Nissan X-Trail), so before I realised I was in the middle of a breeding herd, switched off the engine (not much more you can do :roll: ), got ready to take a snap or 2. Then it happened, I heard the grass next to my drivers side move and a strange noise. i slowly turned my head and looked smack bang into an ellie trumpet barely outside the window(my windows are always open). He stood there and smelled the car, looked me straight in the eye and then left as quietly as he came. I never breathed so softly in my life. Just proof that the "boring"(lot of people do not like the area at all) Pretoriuskop can also deliver amazing experiences.

IN OTHER WORDS GO AND ENJOY WHEREVER YOU GO!!!! HAVE FUN!!!

:thumbs_up:

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next