Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kruger NP Navigation
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:46 am 

Is there internet access through out the park.
The reason for the question is if it is then we can use an Ipad and Google Earth to travel around.
Currently I can sit here in Australia and cross reference the roads around the park with the photos from Google Earth
If I have access then navigation would be an absolute breeze.
The photos are very good and very clear,even to the point of seeing cars on the roads when the photo was taken.
Because we had to book so far ahead this will definitely be the most research O/Seas trip I have ever had
and the most frustrating as we have to wait so long.
E Orix.

Post subject: Re: Kruger NP Navagation
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:23 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

E Orix away from the main camps there is little or no internet coverage. Also you don't need any navigational help. I couldn't get lost in Kruger if I tried and that's saying something :wink:
And the other thing is you don't really want any superfluous devices taking your attention away from scouring the landscape for animals as you cruise along at 25kph. So don't worry about Google Earth and GPS and stuff whilst there. Just enjoy the bush, buy a guide book at a camp and follow your nose (and the signs!). :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

threedogs wrote:
E Orix away from the main camps there is little or no internet coverage. Also you don't need any navigational help. I couldn't get lost in Kruger if I tried and that's saying something :wink:
:)

Nooit!! That's because there's three of you. I usually have to navigate by myself and I get lost around Skukuza every single time. Well, not lost, but I end up where I really didnt think I was going.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
moobox wrote:
threedogs wrote:

Nooit!! That's because there's three of you. I usually have to navigate by myself and I get lost around Skukuza every single time. Well, not lost, but I end up where I really didnt think I was going.

:funny:

You're on top form today Moobox :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:55 am 

There are large sections of the park that have no internet access, and no cellphone coverage.

Fortunately, if you have recently browsed a certain area on google earth, the map should still be in your device memory, so you should be fine. If that doesn't work - your really don't need any more than a map to navigate through Kruger. All intersections and landmarks (such as waterholes) are clearly marked, and the maps have more than enough detail, including estimated distances. It really is quite hard to get lost in Kruger!

(I prefer Andy and Loraine Tinker's map, available at all camps shops and at the gates)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:58 pm 

moobox wrote:
threedogs wrote:

For me its P'kop/Fayi loop. Get lost every time.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:04 pm 

The maps you buy in the camp shops are great for navigation. I always bring my sat nav too, not for navigation help but mainly for dropping pins where I get great sightings. It's always great when you come back the next year and see another leopard in virtually the same place!

Seriously though the sat nav is handy for being accurate on timings for getting back to camp bang on closing and making sure you don't waste time in camp when you could be at a sighting.
Gemma

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:07 pm 

We do as Gemma T does, except we use a (is it a very Saffie) Garmin :lol: One can hire these when you hire your vehicle.

They are also nice for tracking where you have driven. And to calculate how much further on a road :thumbs_up:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

threedogs wrote:
you don't really want any superfluous devices taking your attention away from scouring the landscape for animals as you cruise along at 25kph. So don't worry about Google Earth and GPS and stuff whilst there. Just enjoy the bush, buy a guide book at a camp and follow your nose (and the signs!). :)
I could not have said it any better.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As has been said above, maps are avialable at all the gates, and camp shops.
Well worth getting one.
The maps also contain useful info, such as gate times, which look outs have toilets etc. Also, info on wildlife.

I get lost in the circles at Satara. :redface:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
saraf wrote:
for me too, Fayi loop is a nightmare... but so nice to be "lost" in the park :lol: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
moobox wrote:
threedogs wrote:

:funny:

Still chuckling .... :lol:

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

July/August 2014
27-30 Tamboti (Number 40!!!)
30-1 Letaba
1-4 Shingwedzi
4-6 Mopani

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

anne-marie wrote:
saraf wrote:
for me too, Fayi loop is a nightmare... but so nice to be "lost" in the park :lol: :thumbs_up:

I forgot about that one hey. Last July we stayed at Pretoriouskop and I got my wife up and out kicking and screaming for the early morning drive before heading off to Skukuza. It was pretty dark and so misty, it was like eerie. And we drove around there and we didnt know where we were going. We saw quite a few animals in the mist and that was great. And when bokkie started performing a bit about getting back to camp and packing up, I had to tell her that I didnt really know how. She just got quiet and I didnt like that. Anyway, I took a little dirt road turnoff and it sort of wound upwards around a hill and at one point we got up out of the mist and looked out over the veld and the trees and things just sticking through the mist. And then she loved me again I think because she got happier. So we just stopped and waited and looked out there a while before she started performing again. Actually one of the best days of my life.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

yoda wrote:
I get lost in the circles at Satara.
:mrgreen:

Easiest place to get lost in Kruger, especially after dark. I call recall literally going around in circles one night trying to find my rondavel.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:34 am 

Thank you for your posts,all opinions should be and will be considered.
I agree that the map I have is easy to follow but sitting here looking at Google Earth
gives me a far better perspective of layout etc. and also the little drive offs that direct you to
water areas or places of interest. On G/E you can easily pick up the drinking positions shown
on the Webcams of Satara and Orpen.
Over the years I have been to some remote places, I only wish I had access to a Forum for
those places like I have here.Life wouldn't have been so complicated and far easier.