Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Amazing pics RemiE, just shows what you can miss if you just drive past

Thanks for sharing :gflower:

Post subject: Re: S 100
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Elsa, amazing and very surprising sighting. This is what makes the S100 one of our favourites :cam: drives

Carol g, I firmly believe that driving endlessly for hours might not necessarily always be the best of choices, well for us at least. I’ll tell you one thing, since this experience when we stop we keep the windows open to a respectable ¼ level. You never know what might pop up next to you. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The S100 has been very kind to me over the years. We're leaving CT on Tuesday and have 4 nights in Satara the following week and hope we'll see more sights like these.

Image10911 265 by jansp, on Flickr

Image215 by jansp, on Flickr

Image220 by jansp, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:56 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Lovely sightings, Granjan. :clap: :clap: We love the S100 too, but sometimes there can be a worse traffic jam than in any big city. Then again, despite the traffic volumes along it, sometimes one is privileged to see sdomething all on one's own.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lovely cat photos Granjan :clap: :clap: S100 is special.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lovely photos granjan :clap: :clap:

Thank you for sharing

I am sure your lucky :littleangel: is waiting patiently for your arival at Satara

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:04 pm 

:thumbs_up: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:51 pm 

Sadly now back at work (time to save for next trip), but towards the end of Nov was lucky enough to spend 10 days in Kruger. As I mentioned in a previous post, the S100 has never been kind to me so far and was hoping this would be the trip that turned the trick. Well…..

I drove the S100 at least 4 times, may have even been 5 and again it proved to enjoy tormenting me :evil: I left the gate at Satara at 04.30 on the dot multiple times….and nothing. I tried it in the afternoon, and was the last car left on the road…and nothing :naughty:

Of course I heard all about the sightings on the other roads that I would have normally taken, including cheetah and leopard kills, and at least two wild dog sightings :wall: I imagine everyone has at least one road that hates them, and the S100 is mine!

On my last day in that area I again left early, and was stoked when the two vehicles in front of me turned left. So right from Satara I went trying to talk myself into one more S100 attempt. Now I don’t know about you guys and gals but I’m terrible for second guessing which way to go, and changing my best laid plans at the turnoff. Well as I got to S100, some strange urge said take the Nwanetsi road (H6) as this was the only place i’d ever seen cheetah in Kruger, and the S100 be damned! So with no small amount of dread I drove past old S100 and took the H6…

Now I have to say I found 8 hyena at a den on this road, and in the early light had them to myself as they played. Awesome sighting as I love hyenas, but have to admit I wanted cats. I took the S41 back towards the S100, and was rewarded with not one, but two civets. At first glimpse in the early light I half thought I was looking at the worlds smallest striped leopards! Ah wishful thinking.

Now back onto the S100 for what must have been at least the 10th time in total over 5 trips. When you’ve had no luck on a road, it only takes 5 minutes into the road to get that sinking feeling again, and sure enough here it came again. Now don’t get me wrong, I love seeing all the animals and the scenery on the S100 is beautiful. But after so many failed attempts, and always hearing about the amazing predator sightings I was quietly begging any one of a hundred various gods for a little help :pray:

Then with just 4kms left till I was back on the tar, a small traffic jam ahead put all senses on full alert. Three cars appeared to be parked under a very big tree, and my brain screamed ‘Leopard’! I couldn’t see anything no matter how hard I tried (I am very experienced at looking hard at nothing in trees :tongue: ). Eventually one car took pity on me, and the drivers first words were ‘ you shouldn’t have had that coffee this morning and been late out the gate, you just missed lions on a wildebeest kill’. Late out the gate??!! I must have been ahead of these people in the queue, but my fateful decision to take the H6 had come back to haunt me, and the S100 to taunt me once again!

Despite the gut wrenching pain of having missed the kill, the S100 did provide a small mercy however. Whilst the lioness’s had dragged the kill behind an embankment and were out of sight, the driver kindly told me the 3 adult males were sleeping right across from me under the bushes on the plains side. At last I had my S100 lions, 3 magnificent (if very sleepy) male lions. 2 decided I was not worth getting out of bed for, but one very blonde maned fella moved into the open allowing an awesome view. The other cars left, and I had 15 minutes (engine off of course) of pure heaven watching the lions, listening to the sounds of the bush. If you didn’t know where to look you’d drive straight pass them, even though they were only 10m from the road. it makes you wonder how many times you must have done exactly that. When the next cars arrived, they seemed perplexed at what on earth I was looking at. I got quite a chuckle and a big smile, at quietly telling them where the lions were and watching their reactions, especially the kids :D

So to conclude, the S100 and I still don’t really get along (I can’t help but think of it as a girl playing hard to get, lol), but perhaps we’ve seen the first thawing in a frosty relationship. And who knows where it will go next time? Leopard, cheetah, more lions? I’ll keep my fingers crossed. And oh yeah, I saw a honey badger on the last km of the S100 too :thumbs_up:

ImageS100 lion by b_ranford74, on Flickr

Sharky

Last edited by sharky74 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:46 pm 

A great thawing in a frosty relationship :wink: , Sharky :clap: !

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:26 pm 

Sharky, I think I can kind of relate to that love/hate relationship but I do detect a thawing and a tempting to come back and try it again!
but having said that I love the H6 in the early morning and have had such special sightings there that I would never complain and of course the best part is you are usually more or less alone as everyone else is on the S100. 8)

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:03 pm 
Sharky, I think you've had an argument with that road, and Nature has a way of winning. :wink: However, I have no doubt that the S100 yields, and when it does it yields BIG. Be patient. Perhaps you're driving it a little too fast, for often you may drive past a sighting that is under your nose, but the dust and speed mean that you miss it. I always drive that road slowly, and it seldom disappoints.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:14 pm 
Elsa, I agree that the H6 is also a delightful road, and definitely worth taking in lieu of the S100 when the latter is busy. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:02 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Over the years and many trips the S100 seems to have been yielding less. But this latest trip was better.

Having driven it twice, but not early enough, on our last morning at Satara I was at the gate just before 4.30 a.m. Several vehicles went in other directions and I ended up being number 2 on the S100.

After a while the vehicle in front of me had stopped and I then saw two young male lions very close to the road. They had been sleeping but got up and played with each other for a minute or two before moving off further from the road.

I left that sighting as number 1 and drove along until I saw something white in the middle of the road. "What on earth is that" I thought to myself (the light was still not that good). Well - on closer inspection I saw it was 16 lion cubs and one lioness in the middle of the sand road. The white "thing" was a white lion cub!!! After a minute or so 3 other lionesses came up. The cubs were 3 or 4 different age groups and obviously belonged to the 4 lionesses. I got a very brief sighting of a beautiful male - black-maned - but he decided to flop down under a bush and was not easy to see.

While I was watching the cubs another car came up and then moved off before me. When I caught up with them they had stopped and I asked them what they had seen. "A leopard with a baby impala in its mouth" they replied. I missed the leopard by literally 1 minute - it had gone down the bank into the river bed and out of sight.

The S100 continues to taunt. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes not. It is a beautiful road nevertheless.

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:09 am 

Oh No! talk about right time and place! :doh:
but at least you got to see the little white Lion cub among all the others, which I would have rated very highly! :thumbs_up:

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Sharky74, you need counseling ....

Dismissing a honey badger as a final thought while watching grass where comatose lions are sleeping invisibly? And a cursory mention of 2 civits? You need serious treatment or you are beyond hope. :wall:

We drove the eventless S100 3 weeks ago as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next