Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: S100 pride of 30+ Lions
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:45 pm 

Oct 14, appr. 6:15 am, to be precise :D - I might post more footage of them with my trip report

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:39 pm 

ice wrote:

could somebody who is more of an expert than I am make an educated guess about the age of these cubs? I filmed on them on the S100 so they might very well be another addition to the Mega Pride.

thanks

Hi Ice. I would say about 6 weeks.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:21 pm 

which would mean that they are probably just on their way to be introduced to the pride

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:58 pm 

here's the initial footage I talked about earlier on

On Friday we were ready to leave to Satara, probably the best place in the park to find big cats. With the 10 o'clock check out deadline we kept our morning drive short: first we tried to find the lions we had spotted the night before (without success), then we headed east again on the tar road. Following the reports at Kruger Sightings we noticed that Sharon and her husband (who has since identified himself as Chris) were seemingly on their way to Satara, too, although they were taking the direct route. And while they found 14 lions, a leopard and cheetah we had to be (and were) happy with a lone hyena on the H3, munching away on her breakfast bone and later a small group of 4 lions, deep on the bushes next to the Vortrekker Road.

On Oct 12 we left Satara camp at 3:45 pm but were quickly stopped by a huge herd of buffalo. While the other cars on both sides of the blockage waited, I decided to drive right through - and neither animals nor machines were hurt or damaged. Had I waited as the others, I would most likely have missed the S100 Mega Pride.

It was difficult to count the animals, since it was still pouring but I am sure there were at least 20 of them. However, it wasn't until back home with the aid of a big monitor that I was able to determine what they were "feasting" on: an impala ram (you can briefly see its head and cervical vertebra ca. 2:32 into the Clip) - not a lot of food for a pride of this size.

Strangely for us, all of a sudden the females and youngsters one after the other got up and left the scene, the first cats in a leisurely pace, the last ones in a rush - it was then that we realized that two males had arrived. I don't know if these guys rule this pride or not but they sure were a sight, obviously in the prime of their lifes.

We stayed with them for almost 45 minutes, the last half hour with no other car - what an encounter! I had of course read about this pride before but to actually see it "live"... a rare treat, I believe, even here at SanParks.org new reports about the pride drop in only every other month.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:54 am 

A fantastic sighting and video clip Ice! :clap:

I agree re the 2 males, they do look in amazing condition. :thumbs_up:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject: S100/GUDZANI LION PRIDE
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:43 pm 

There is a large pride of lions regularly seen in the S100/ Gudzani area. When we saw them on Wed 11 September, one of the 9 cubs had a serious injury to its right front leg and was really in a bad way - very thin and not moving about at all like the others. If anyone has seen them subsequently, it would be great to know whether the little one is still managing to keep up with the rest of the pride (9 cubs, 5 youngish males and 3 lactating females- but there could be more that we could not see)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6