Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: H1-4 road between Letaba and Satara
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:50 pm 

Hi,
Just out of the park stayed at Satara rest camp for 20 days saw the Big 5 three times, a friendly warning when traveling from Phalaborwa or Letaba to Satara the H1-4 is closed at Olifants and one has to use the detour which is the Balule gravel road which is in a bad state and is worst on caravans it is onley 12.4 km but I had to travel at a speed of 15km/h.
regards
Sorento

Post subject: Re: H1-4 road between Letaba and Satara
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:06 am 

Thanks Sorento for the advice,where exactly does the detour take you to,and how do you cross the olifants river as the bridge at balule is also partly destroyed ? i was to take this routing and would appreciate your input.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:35 pm 

Hi Shikaari,

Coming from Letaba side, you will turn left onto the H8 and then turn right onto the S92 gravel road (the road that Sorento is talking about). This then becomes the S91 (after passing the turn-off to the Balule low-level bridge) and joins up with the H1-5. You will cross the Oliphants river over the H1-5 high level bridge.

Be very careful on the S92/S91 road, loads of speeding, tons of dust and NO animal sightings to speak of. This is the only road available to go north of Oliphants, so you can imagine the amount of traffic on a daily basis.

Kind regards,

Pat

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:08 pm 

Thanks, Patto for the info, this now gives me a clearer picture,looks like i am going to have to make some changes to my itinerary.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:09 pm 

Only a pleasure Shikaari:)

It is a 17km detour on that route, but according to the latest flood notice in Kruger Park section of the forum, they are expecting the H1-5 to reopen by 30 June, so if your trip is later than that, then you wont need to take the detour.

The real inconvenience is the Balule low-level bridge being washed away. On our recent stay there, it was approximately 45 minutes to an hour detour to get to the other side of the low-level bridge on the S92.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:43 pm 

Hi Patto,
the road you described is correct, some people had windscreens cracked by stones, they tend to speed to get it over and so doing damage car wind screens, caravans are a mess inside , the best is to take it very slow.
Sorrento

Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:57 pm 

This news has me worried! We'll be going up to Letaba from Berg en Dal on 23 June, towing a caravan. We've done the trip before and know it's a long stretch, but with the road closure I'm worried about traveling time and the state of the road for the caravan.

Can anyone provide some feedback please?

Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:11 pm 

I will be doing that same route on saturday. Will let you know how long it took me

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:33 am 

Alf,keep us posted with the road condition and traffic,wishing you a fabulous trip.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:33 pm 

I must say 99% of all the people we saw were driving slow on this detour at olifants. It took us 10 hours from bergendal to letaba with a 10 minute stop at afsaal, 30 min stop at skukuza and 30 min stop at satara.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:50 pm 

thanks Alf for the update.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:40 am 

ARE THERE ANY UPDATES ON THIS ROAD REPAIR.
TRYING TO PLAN TIME AND ROUTE FOR JULY..

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:15 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Quote:
Hi 'mites;

Please find below an update on the KNP Floods as at 09h00 on 13 June 2012.

Kruger Flood update as at 09:00 on 13 June 2012

Camps Open
Balule, Bateleur, Berg- en- Dal, Biyamiti, Crocodile Bridge, Letaba , Lower Sabie (except 6 tents), Malelane, Maroela, Mopani, Olifants, Orpen, Pretoriuskop, Punda Maria, Roodewal, Satara, Sable Dam Sleepover Hide, Shimuwini, Shingwedzi, Shipindane Hide, Sirheni, Skukuza & Talamati, Tsendze.

Tamboti has also reopened as a number of tents are operational. The repairs on tents 1 to 20 are nearing completion and are expected to be fully operational by 30 June 2012.

Picnic Spots
Tshokwane Has reopened.
Nkuhlu, Muzandzeni, Mlondozi, Nhlanguleni, Nwanetsi, Afsaal and Timbavati are OPEN
Letaba Day Visitors Site: Reopened.
Makhadzi: Closed
Lake Panic Birdhide: Open

Access roads inside the park
All roads, except the following, are open:
S25 (From S26 to S139, Biyamiti Low Level Bridge inaccessible), S33, S34 (S34 is expected to reopen by 30 June 2012), S84, Balule Low Level Bridge (detour via S89 and S90) (Balule Bridge is expected to reopen by 30 September 2012), H1-5 (From S91 to H8) (detour via S91, S92 & H8 – detour 17km of which 12 is gravel road) (Breach on H1-5 near N’wamanzi is expected to reopen by 31 July 2012).

Sand River Low Level Bridge on H1-2 (between Skukuza and Tshokwane) has been reopened.

Biyamiti Weir (on S114) has been reopened.
Gates: All are open

Emergency Numbers:
Media Enquiries: Reynold Thakhuli 073 373 4999 / Gabrielle Venter 082 696 4724
Tourist Enquiries: Joep Stevens 082 802 8093

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:57 pm 

Thanks so much for update.
Would it be a better idea to come in at Phalaborwa gate if staying at Olifants rather then Orpen...
Any advice please. This is for 9.July so the detour will still be in place around Balule. Any detour from Letaba to Olifants? Thanks for help !!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:58 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

If only WTM explained it like this to me ... we might have saved an hour of arguing :lol:

@Carocat ... Both should be fine ... I'm usually at the gates or at the most 1 hour after gates open in the park. I would go in via Orpen to Olifants via Satara. Depending on how much time you then have you can take the S90 all the way to Balule and then the S92 to the main road (H8).

You can also take the main road to Olifants from Satara (H1-4) all the way up to the gravel road S91 which becomes the S92 to the main road (H8). I really like the H1-4 having seen a lot of nice sightings on that road but I'm sure the S90 will definitely be just as good as the tar road.

So whatever your preference (tar vs gravel) that should be your main consideration.

As for the Phalaborwa road .. yes .. it will probably be easier and faster, but I really dislike that road (very few sightings and a lot of traffic) .. I usually get off that road as quick as possible.

Hope it helped :)