Skip to Content

Mopani Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Senyetse » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:27 am

Hi BH

Tsendze is basically Mopani's camping area - it is a satellite of Mopani and is about 8-9 km from Mopani.

Have a look at the Tsendze thread under camps and roads, there are a few pics of mine of the camp there.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

Nina!

Mopani Camp

Unread postby Nina! » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Hi,
We love this camp. It is beautiful and quiet. The view from the deck over the dam is more than great and at night you can go to sleep hearing the sounds of the hippos.
The restaurant is one of our favourites in the park.
The in-camp trail is good, too, and there are always a lot of birds around.
Elephant sightings are guaranteed.
The vegetation is indeed a bit boring and around Mopani, it can happen that sightings are rare, but due to the fact that the camp and its atmosphere is so pleasant, we stay there each time we go to KNP.
The units are great and we love the fact that this camp is not crowded.
We made a night drive just once, some years ago (in 2003), but it was a productive one, including hippos grazing through the bush and a lion right next to the road, not far away from the camp.

Freda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Freda » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:04 pm

We saw Or (sp) the rhino with one ear on the S136 near the Boulders turnoff, but he is not a very friendly rhino :shock:
You must do the river loops, we met Alexander on one of these :D
Also consider a night at Shipandani Hide :)

Reardon

Mopani

Unread postby Reardon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:50 pm

We had a absolutely amazing evening drive ending at 8.
We saw lion, serval, wild cat, elephant, rhino to mention a few, our guide was Michael and he was great i can recommend the evening drive to anyone .

sandiem
Location: In UK desperately waiting for the next trip to SA!!

Unread postby sandiem » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:29 pm

Leaving in 6 weeks!!!! :dance: :clap: :lol:

Mopani was the FIRST rest camp we booked for this September......... last time we stayed there we had the most wonderful bungalow with a verandha overlooking the dam.

The most relaxing day was sitting on the verandha watching the ellies all day in and out of the water, photographing the birds that visited our railing......... we had a resident Monitor lizard that poked his head out and hissed at us every time we went up the path......... absolutely delightful.

In the afternoon we went for a walk with a guide and on the way back had to scout around the 80 or so elephants that were vacating the water..... very exciting and my nearest encounter on foot, so close my SO thought that the motionless elephant that blended in with the trees was in fact a tree ........until it moved it's tail!!!

We are booked in for a sunset drive this time and I am hoping that we will see a lot more, maybe we will further our education if we get Michael!!! Fingers crossed!!!

hanliemarais

Unread postby hanliemarais » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:49 pm

We always start our holiday up North and then work our way down. Mopani is absolutely stunning!! One of my all time favourites!!!

A holiday in the park is not a holiday if we haven't stayed over at Mopani!!
We hit gold over our last visit in Dec of '07. We stayed in one of the guest houses on the river bank. The view was mind blowing... hippo's playing in the distance... magnificent sunsets... those early mornings sitting on the 'stoep' with coffee and a rusk...

Amazing!! :lol:

Elsa

Re: Mopani Rest Camp

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:31 am

We spent 2 nights at Mopani beginning of this month, had Chalet # 51, nice view of the dam and we loved the thick bushes surrounding the units.

Lots of Hippos grunting, Fish Eagles and other water birds calling.
On the first night we even had Large Spotted Genet come visiting. :D

On one of our drives we took the S143 Tropic of Capricorn Loop and apart from lots of Ellies, we also saw a pride of 8 Lions, quite a few Tsessebe, Kori Bustards, in fact, plenty of interesting sightings to keep us amused for many hours.
But, the grass was really long and thick!
There were also regular sightings of Wild Dogs being seen in the Nkokodzi Water hole area near the S 144 junction, but we never did get to see them. :(
We really enjoyed the Mopani area. :D
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

pantera leo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby pantera leo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:53 pm

Loads of wonderfull birdlife in the camp itself. Sat on the stoep and took a foto of this hornbill with no! zoom!

This camp surely made a deep impresion on me and I will never forget the vissit!

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:11 am

Did the Shongololo Loop & then the Tropic of Capricorn loop, Saw game as follows Buffalo herd with day old calfs, Elephant(A lot), Cheetah, lot's of general game, Tsessebe, Eland, Mountain Reedbuck, Roan, Lion, on the way back, Hlanganini & a lot more. :thumbs_up:

alf

Unread postby alf » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:27 am

Anybody got some pictures of Bungalow no 12 and the view it has? I was lucky to get this unit when i requested it. Will be there on the 8th august.
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:46 am

It looks like it should have a good view, Alf, if you have a look at the map
Here
Enjoy! :D
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

simonB

Mopani new conference centre

Unread postby simonB » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi there

Has anyone got a few pics of the new conference centre in Mopani.
Would be great if you could share. Thanx

Here is a news link talking about the new conference centre: http://tinyurl.com/n2j5xy
He will "bring to ruin those ruining the earth" I look forward to that day. You have been warned!

Kruger: 27 April - 30 May 2012

Boorgatspook

Re: Mopani new conference centre

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:23 am

Conferencing in the Mopaniveld (Taken from home page)

The Kruger National Park’s (KNP) acting Managing Executive Mr Abe Sibiya officially opened the new, state-of-the-art R5,2-million Mopani Conference Centre on Friday June 12, 2009.

“I can proudly state at the official opening this facility at Mopani Rest Camp that the KNP has certainly arrived as a conference venue with a number of world class options that will hopefully meet and exceed most clients’ needs,” Mr Sibiya said.

Mr Sibiya went on to explain why the KNP, which is world famous for its high standards in conservation management and for its ability to balance the needs of tourists with the demands of conservation.

“Kruger’s tourism business has always been seasonal with high season times coinciding with South African school holidays. Conferences are seen as one of the ways in which these huge drops during off peak times could be negated,” explained Mr Sibiya.

wacktazz
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wacktazz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:51 pm

Here we go:

It's nice to be a person. You must just be a nice person!
www.facebook.com/wacktazz

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:29 pm

Speaking from experience, being there lately with a fairly large group, I can tell you that Mopani has great management infrastructure to handle anything coming their way. :thumbs_up:

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”