Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: letaba elephant hall missed oportunity
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I also think they are missing opportunities of 'history in the making' by not displaying Duke's tusks.

The displays are static, not living, same as when I went to the SA Rugby museum a few years go, it said that Mark Andrews was the most capped player and he had been overtaken by at least 3 others.

If it is not kept current, it has less impact until it becomes irrelevant.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:50 pm 

I don't find it loses its appeal but there again I only get to visit every couple of years.
I was not intending to knock the hall in any way, I just thought it might be a good earner.
also if there was info to take away on the present ellies there would I'm sure be an increase in the reported sightings.
Sorry hall staff wasn't my intention to cause you any waves!

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The elephant museum could be wonderful, if they kept it up to date.

When I was there in June, they did not know that Alexander had died and still had him listed as an future tusker. The person on the desk looked at me blankly when I pointed this out.

The displays are good and give one a better understanding of this magnificent animal.

Satara 30 Nov - 3 Dec 2014
Lower Sabie 4 Dec 2014

Skukuza 5-8 Mar 2015

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:11 pm 

I do not read the forum on a regular basis and only just find out Hglanganini's death.
It is so very very sad.
I am lucky enough to have seen him in May this year and will treasure this memory.
It will be 3 opportunities missed if they do not place Duke's, Alexander and Hlanganini's tusks in the Elephant Hall soon. We are talking of a hall and not the Rabelais hut, so I can not understand why they have not done so already (with regards to Duke's and Alexander's tusks).
Seems like a good opportunity to do so before the upcoming football world championship when people of all over the world visit the Kruger park.
Though the death of the big tuskers is sad, it will be very special to see their tusks and touch them, knowing you saw them alive.
It will only contribute to more respect for the bush and its wildlife.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:21 am 

And a further email from Kirsty, replying to comments made here:

Quote:
Dear Dalene,

I just read the link that you attached to the original query and feel compelled to perhaps answer some of the other comments.
With regards to Alexander, yes his information is still up on the current board as people commented they would like to see the tusk information and would not like him removed, so while still on the current tusker board there is an attachment that was inserted on his death (which we were informed of immediately and all my staff were aware of) which has the date of death and the tusk dimensions on it so there is no doubt of his status.

I cannot comment on the identification of the tuskers issue as, as far as I know all of us are very familiar with Hlanganini, however if there are problems with elephant hall staff I would appreciate feedback with specifics so I can address any issues immediately.

With regards to the inclusion of additional tusks, while we would love to include all the recently deceased tuskers, there simply is not space and displays would have to be lost to accommodate that, given it is an education centre and not just a tusk museum this would be counter productive.
While magnificent animals, Hlanganini, Duke and Alexander are only 3 of the recently deceased tuskers, 4 having passed away before Hanaganini and Alexander and all of whom had tusks that are equal to or bigger then all 3 of the mentioned tuskers.
A set of criteria was given that to be included the emerging tuskers would have to supersede the existing tuskers in the hall, none of which have achieved this to date.
We accept that people develop attachments to specific tuskers especially when the opportunity has arisen to see them personally, however it must be understood there are currently 10 regularly seen tuskers at this time and 8 that have died in my time here amount to 18 potential sets of tusks, and a limit has to exist as to where to draw the line on inclusion into the display.

With regards to updating the displays, we are looking at the written displays but cost is an issue with current budgets, this will therefore have to be done in time and very carefully, we met with huge criticism when we undertook the last upgrade to include the skeleton from many guests who did not want to see the hall changed at all and were quite upset that we were changing what they considered a piece of history, so it would seem we simply cannot make everyone happy and someone is always going to be upset.

I hope this will help with your queries as well.

Kind Regards,
Kirsty Redman
Interpretive Officer, Nxanatseni Region, Kruger National Park

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject: Re: Letaba elephant hall - missed oportunity
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks kirsty for the reply and what you have written about what tuskers to include and not to include makes perfect sense. :thumbs_up:

I will visit there sometime next week, the atmosphere in the elephant hall is great, probably from a sense of awe created by those amazing animals
A special privilege :D

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:32 pm 

Dalene thanks for posting the reply and Kirsty thanks for explaining things to us.
My personal feeling still is though that Duke, Alexander and Hgalanganini were loved by a big crowd. Not all the deceased big tuskers are well known to the public.
The fact that their tusks are not bigger than those of the magnificent seven makes it even more interesting because one can compare them.
It is so true you cannot make everybody happy; hope you will make me happy in time :lol:
Keep up the good work.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm 

This is the information and attachment Kirsty mentioned

Kruger tripreport http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=37790