Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Which restcamp is better: Shingwedzi or Mopani?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Looks like the vote is unanimous so far - and who am I to disagree? Shingwedzi - especially for a first time visit to KTP. Mopanie is a beautiful camp, but the wildlife is much more scarce. As Meandering Mouse said, the biodiversity and wildlife has more to offer around Shingwedzi! :thumbs_up:

26-29 June - Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:04 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Shingwedzi is our favourite camp in Kruger, as I always feel more "in the bush" there, and as has been said, you can visit Pafuri/Crooks Corner as a day visit from there.

We also like Mopani, as the view over the dam is stunning, and Thongonyeni waterhole always delivers!!

It depends how many days you have to play with?

Whatever you decide..................enjoy!!!! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:58 pm 

Thank you all for such kind and informative comments! They have really made our mind up.

Sounds like Shingwedzi it is then :lol:

We have already booked 4 nights there and were prepared to move based on feedback so will give this a shot and go with our initial feeling. Our second stop is Letaba but a friend from SA told us to limit the no. of camps we stay at as moving around too much is a schlep.

Thank you again! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ... Looked and Booked Next trip to SanParks
Moving around can be a nuisance. Good few nights in your choice of camps will give you plenty of time to explore the area at your leisure.

Shingwedzi and Letaba are lovely camps with great access to the surrounding bush.

Take the opportunity to drive out as soon as the gates open when all is still fresh and the animals are not hiding from the heat of the day.

Allow yourselves time to sit and watch and listen whenever you choose to stop instead of rushing off. That way you'll really get a sense of the richness and diversity of the African bush. You might then notice some of the little creatures that are just as fascinating.

Whatever you decide, just enjoy the trip and have a great time. :thumbs_up:

View our 2013 trip report at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.

Next trip "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb & Flow at Wilderness, Karoo, Mokala, Augrabies, KTP - booked :-)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Have you considered spending a night or two at Olifants, it is on a hill and has the most beautiful view of the Olifants river, and the sunrise and sunset views are breathtaking

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I don't mind moving around, we stay at a camp for 2 or 3 days then move on, otherwise one gets bored with the same roads everyday, gives one the chance to see more of the park too

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Carol g wrote:
Have you considered spending a night or two at Olifants, it is on a hill and has the most beautiful view of the Olifants river, and the sunrise and sunset views are breathtaking

Olifants is my fave camp :thumbs_up:
The views are spectacular.

If you have the time, stay at Shingwedzi and then move a bit further south to Olifants for a few nights.
Shingwedzi will give you plenty of Elephants, big Buffalo herds, and rare antelope.
From Olifants you can head south towards Satara where there will be more plains game and possibly associated predators.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:26 pm 

I have not stayed at Shingwedzi, but Mopani is great. Sightings are more difficult due to the Mopani trees but in saying that we did see lots of elephant, buffalo and, giraffe. We also saw zebra and tsessebe at Mooiplaas waterhole. We heard lions during the night and did see them on the road from Mopani to Phalaborwa gate.

It is more quiet on the roads and not a lot of traffic. Especially the dirt roads are very special. You definately do not get the same in the south, although the old Tshokwane road in the South is a favourite of mine.

In any event any road and any camp in Kruger is fantastic.

Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:10 pm 

Whatether you choose and seems for now your choice is Shingwedzi and Letaba,it will be nice.

I find Shingwedzi and Letaba are more "old"atmosphere and have more characters than Mopani and Olifants,inside camps speaking and like a lot these two camps.

Mopani and Olifants are great for their view,over a beautiful dam with dead trees for Mopani,and a stunning view over a river at Olifants,but i don't find their general atmosphere special.
Olifants is more crowded than Mopani where you can feel a little alone sometime,specially in the restaurant in the evening :(
At Olifants,you can have great drive with Lourens who is back there :D
Near Mopani camp you have two Hides,good for birds and the Tropic of Capricorn loop is usally great sightings wise.

I will also be in the park in november - beginning of december and for the north center i have choose this time Punda,Sirheni,Mopani and Letaba...i will stop for snacks at Shingwedzi and Olifants.

Punda is the lonely camp where i will stay four nights,in the others generally two.

I will drive at the beginnig of my stay untill Skukuza where i will stay 3 nights; i must say it was the only camp i really hated before,but i have change my mind a little about it now...a lot of nice roads to drive from there.

For now,seems there are still a lot of place available in November in camps;where you are in a camp,for exemple Shingwedzi for four nights and change your mind wanting mooving earlier,you can go to the checking office of Shingwedzi and ask them changing one or two nigths for Mopani,and they will arrange you if they can.Same at Letaba.I have already done this without any problem.

Wish you a very nice stay in the park,i will have my yellow ribbon flying from 21th november to 7th december :D

Post subject: Orpen or Biyamiti - End March 2015?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:01 am 

Hi,

I know I said I wanted to stay in Orpen at the end of March 2015, but now I am in two minds whether to stay in Biyamiti or Orpen.

Orpen is right on the border of the park and we found that the last time we stayed there we didn't really see much game around the area. We found that the game around Biyamiti was much better.

Could someone please give me some ideas.

Thanks,

Samantha

22 August - Letaba
9 - 12 December - Lower Sabie
Kruger 2015
28-31 March - Orpen

Post subject: Re: Orpen or Biyamiti - End March 2015?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:15 am 

Sounds like you have almost answered your own question Mant!! I would never stay at Orpen unless time was a huge problem - just too close to the border. We spent two stunning nights at Biyamati last week. The roads are not great at the moment but if you want peace and quiet then it is worth it. The only sound I heard on one night was an elephant munching. The second morning a leopard woke us - it was almost at the fence. I will definitely go back to Biyamati. Two little gennets came each night to have a visit.

The only negative is that the roads seem to get affected every year during the rainy season and there is no knowing what next season will bring

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or insects (2012)
Hi Mant

For us it would be Biyamiti every time - such a beautiful, peaceful camp and we have always been incredibly lucky with sightings in the area

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:48 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Biyamiti would be my choice for sure, if you could get a booking! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:57 pm 

Biyamiti for sure!! As Suebfly said the roads, specifically the private road to Biyamiti, are a bit of a problem. We were there about a month ago in a Golf6 and trying NOT to scrape the bottom of the car at meant driving so carefully that it took as 1.5hours to do the 18km to Biyamiti coming from the north.

Will still go with Biyamiti though!!! Just need a care with a little bit of clearance....sure my Toyota Tazz would have done much better than the golf!! :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
hilda wrote:
Biyamiti would be my choice for sure, if you could get a booking! :dance: :dance:

ditto :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7