SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Mphongolo loop s56
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Rose! :yaya:

The first time I read about this road was in high school, when reading a wonderful book about the Kruger, big coffee table book with lots of information and roads of interest. There was the first mention I had of the elephant road. Since I realized I seem a little nervous around elephants with my father driving, and recently even with me at the wheel, more out of a lack of confidence on what would irritate them for me and my father trying to tickle them when he sees one, I never even thought about this road. But I am glad we took it this year.

I would suggest to anyone to try this road. It has some beautiful views of the river and the massive herds, or many small herds all together across the river was wonderful to see. The amount of elephant we saw was incredible. I will post what I have in the trip report...and some pictures on here as well.

Post subject: Re: Mphongolo loop s56
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi People.

I see people are talking about the Elephant Loop, although my personal name is the Babalala Loop, and have called it that since I was a 3 year old kid who is 20 now, yet use the same name. My first ever Lion Sighting was on this loop as well, which I just found out going through my dad's old pics of Kruger.

As far as the Nelli population is concerned, it never decreases in this loop, below is a pic to prove my theory, and it was taken on this very loop.

I have a weird feeling that the Lions in this area may be praying on Elephants as well, because I saw a failed attempt once from the main tar road.