Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Schedule advice PLEEEZZZ
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:34 am 

Hi All

I am a newbie on this incredible forum and relative newbie to Kruger having made my maiden trip in 2011 and have great memories of spending just three nights at Satara and have been longing to go back ever since. As we are from Cape Town when coupled with budgetary and work constraints it has been difficult to make the commitment to return. My wife very kindly suggested the other day that as my 50th Birthday is on 29th August that we do something special and came up with the idea of going to Kruger for a few days. I was blown away by the suggestion and have been unable to sleep, work, eat or concentrate on anything else ever since. This site has been partially responsible for my distractions.

So here’s the thing - I booked yesterday for a two week trip telephonically through a very helpful lady at the Parks reservation office who restructured my initial trip schedule around available accommodation which I really appreciated but am left with a few questions and concerns.

Please if any practical advice, confirmations or suggestions could be offered regarding the proposed schedule it would be most welcome. I would like to sort out any proposed changes before making payment.

Please see schedule below

24/08 - 25/08 (1) - LOWER SABIE BG2 (BUNGALOW)
25/08 - 26/08 (1) – SKUKUZA BD3 (BUNGALOW)
26/08 - 27/08 (1) - LETABA REST CAMP CTT2 (SAFARI TENT)
27/08 - 29/08 (2) - TSENDZE RUSTIC (OWN TENT)
29/08 - 30/08 (1) - OLIFANTS REST BG2 (BUNGALOW)
30/08 - 31/08 (1) – TAMBOTI CTT2 (SAFARI TENT)
31/08 - 04/09 (4) – SATARA BG2 (BUNGALOW)
04/09 - 05/09 (1) - LOWER SABIE EH2 (HUT):
05/09 - 06/09 (1) - BERG-EN-DAL REST BA3 (BUNGALOW)

Herewith my concerns

1). My 1st concern is that we are spending a number of single nights in several of the camps and I am worrying about the constant pressure of spending one night and having to pack and go. I realise that we have left booking a bit late but this is pretty much all that was available for the places that were prioritised i.e. Satara and LWR Sabie. The rest of the camps were coincidental to a relatively linear travel itenarary with Satara being the real priority.

2). I realise that the drive from Skukuza to Tambotie is a long one but surely doable in a day as I am happy to spend one day driving to get up further North.

3). My wife is not mad about the camping scene but willing to suck it up for two nights at Tzendze just for a change of pace.

4). My 50th is at Olifants rest on the night of the 29th. We were allocated the accommodation of a BG 2 bungalow. As this is a rather special occasion we would be happy to spring for something a bit more luxurious for this night without breaking the bank. We would be happy to change camp site to something within the area or lodging within the camp if available, advice here would be most welcome. Probably would like to eat a decent meal on this evening and although mad about braaing I may want to be spoilt myself a bit as a rapidly ageing geriatric on this special occasion.

So that’s about it, please all suggestions or comments on the schedule and my concerns would be most welcome.

Thank you kindly for this site and the forum, looking forward to becoming part of the San parks family.

Post subject: Re: Schedule advice PLEEEZZZ
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:56 am 

I have done many trips where we spend just one night at each camp. It is not ideal but you are lucky to have organised a nice mixture of camps at this late stage. I just never unpack my case - reorganise it a little each night, put out tomorrow's clothes and everything else is ready packed - just put in toilet things and pj's in the morning and off you go in no time at all

Keep a look out for cancellations and you might be able to change around a bit and even get a cottage with a view at Olifants - nothing better in the wold than that. I have always been able to change around a bit - however I do check the website every morning in the last weeks before a trip and it is amazing what comes up

Have a wonderful birthday trip

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum ... cant add anything apart from keep checking and don't forget your yellow ribbon to tie on your wing mirror . The Park at that time of the year is full of pensioners so you should feel like a spring chicken when there ... only 50 and do enjoy your birthday

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:14 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Trailrunner, if the camps above are all you were able to acquire then you may have to make the most of it. Personally, I prefer a minimum of two nights at one camp, unless the camps are close together (such as Lower Sabie and Skukuza or Letaba and Olifants), which facilitates transfer between camps on a morning drive. As it is, you have some long drives, but if you prefer spending the whole day driving then it should be a pleasure rather than a hindrance. Whatever you decide, being in Kruger - and especially Olifants for a birthday celebration - is always magical and marvellous.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:19 pm 

A very warm welcome to the forum trailrunner! :clap:

What a wonderful way to celebrate a special birthday! :thumbs_up:

I always say better to be in the park with possibly less ideal bookings than not in the park at all!

I was looking at Mopani for a perimeter bungalow for you for the night of the 29th but unfortunately even there nothing available.
So all I can suggest is you keep your eye on the Availability every day and you may just be lucky and be able to snap up something great for your birthday.
Will be holding thumbs for you. :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:28 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to he forums trailrunner. :gflower:

It has all been said............better to have somewhat "not ideal" bookings, than no bookings at all, and keep a daily eye on the availability, and also the Accommodation Exchange Thread in Chit Chat!! :dance:

Wherever you land up, I do hope you have a wonderful time, with stunning sightings.

Happy birthday for Aug 29th. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:04 pm 

Wow thanks all for the great responses :clap: .

Sorry this is not meant to sound like reluctance of being in Kruger just trying to maximise time spent there.

Really appreciate the positive responses and cant wait to do tha Bfday thing in Kruger a real privelage for this ageing spring chicken :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:08 pm 

Anyone on here going to be in any of the camps on the corresponding dates?

Thanks for the pr Birthday wishes and all of your warmth, advice and friendship.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:27 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Trailrunner......keep an eye on this topic Link

Do you know about our yellow ribbons?

Forum members put a yellow ribbon around the driver's mirror, so we can say hello to each other. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:32 pm 

Thanks Crested Val

I will certainly put a yellow ribbon on my wing mirror.

Cant wait :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:42 pm 

Trailrunner, you have been given good advice, and I would pay for the bookings you have, they could be a lot worse at this late stage for such a popular time in the park. As mentioned you can tweak them between now and setting off on your trip.

From CT - are you driving up?

As planning such a trip is part of the fun and excitement, (and you do need something to tire you so you at least sleep a little between now and then ;) ) I suggest you plan your packing with the fact that you are moving camps a lot in mind. Make your car your 'base' and only take out what you need each night, no need to lug out cameras and ref books etc, or even food, if you plan to eat 'out'.

I cannot think of a more stunning setting than on the deck at Olifants, watching the sun set and the night-jars flying in dusk, with Africa out before you while enjoying a meal at Mug and Bean, and celebrating the start of a new chapter in your life - remember life begins at 50 :D

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:49 pm 

Ah, and one more thing .... you only need to book out at 10am. What we do is wake early, and go for an early drive, then return, shower etc, pack up and move to the next camp.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:50 pm 

Exactly what I was going to suggest DB.

Some fantastic advice you have been given here

Your only really log drive is Skukuza to Letaba and yes it is doable in one day. Take your time, stop at Tshokwane and Satara for a drink and leg stretch and don't forget the Olifants bridge is a get out bridge. From Tshokwane take a slight diversion up to Orpen Dam and at Satara have a wander to the webcam

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:23 pm 

Thanks Dinky Bird and saraf for the encouargement and advice.

Just a quickie, should I look to rather spend a second night at Olifants and forgo the Tamboti safari tent experience. May be a little weary on the 30th after a Birthday experience?

Is Tamboti really worth the drive and stay in a safari tent also was looking to restock the coolboxes at Klaserie on the 30th?

Thanks and regards

Trail

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:52 pm 

In my opinion, yes it is worth it. You can take a slow drive on the 'back' roads from Olifants to Tamboti. When you are at Satara, you will then have time to explore the roads around the camp and eastwards, and not feel you must also get to Orpen.