Skip to Content

Satara Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Tom124
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Satara Rest Camp

Unread postby Tom124 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:48 am

An AWC visits Satara cam so often that the cammers have named him/her. Perhaps the same cat?

As you can see, the cat is certainly grey in colour :D
Back from beautiful Botswana - a long time to wait, but KNP and KTP planned for 2016!

avon vosloo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby avon vosloo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:38 pm

I managed to get a shot of an AWC early one morning near the camping ablutions :wink:

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby roaneric » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:39 am

LaeveldLeeu wrote:Hallo all

I have booked bungalow BG2HB in Satara but can't find it on the camp layout. Can anyone tell me the bungalow number for BG2HB as there is only 1 in camp and what is the diffirence between BG2 and BG2HB.

Hi Laeveldleeu

Unit BG2HB is in the B circle. Number 42 to be exact. It's the one bungalow in the B circle that has not been upgraded. I have pictures of that unit and will add them to the accommodation threat later today.
Back Again
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby roaneric » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:14 pm

BarkingMad wrote:Why has just that one unit not been upgraded. I booked this morning and I asked what the difference was between the hb and was told that the hb are the newer ones,,,, so I booked that. Only after did I discover that there is only one, so am thinking that I should phone and change it to another unit.

Also, some confusion here as the B circle is actually one of BG3 with 3 beds, and the photo of the BG2HB shows 3 beds .... so are there actually 3 beds in this unit. I would love to see the photos of it when you have time to post them :)

Hi barkingmad

I really don't know about this unit. If you don't trust it, try to change to another unit. I added some pictures of number 42 in the accommodation thread. Have a look HERE

Have a nice day
Back Again
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: braai facilities at Satara camp

Unread postby Hugh » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:22 pm

All accommodation has Outside braais even the camp sites . Very basic If it says no utensils you have to supply your own pots and pans .. but these can be purchased at a very minimal rate at the shops outside and inside the park For braais you have to supply charcoal or firewood and some thing to start the fire ( matches and firelighters)
Communal kitchens have double hotplates and sinks and always boiling water . Best place to meet people and discuss sightings with them etc. etc. Most units have small fridges with a small freezer section.
Have a great time
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:54 pm

Firstly lets start with the braai. Every unit will have one.

And now the BD and BG. Please could you let us have the exact codes and we can have a look.
Each camp has a slightly different interpretation of the codes.
The BD units tend to have a kitchenette - 2 hot plates, a kettle, a kitchen sink and utensils (pans, plates, cutlery and cups).
The BG units have no cooking equipment but the communal kitchen will be close by and will have a number of hot plates and a hot water geyser (for coffee etc) and sinks for washing up.

All units will have a fridge.

Looking at the other codes - V means a perimeter view, Z means disabled access and E I think means the stoep is enclosed (but don't quote me). I have no idea what N or B indicate, sorry.
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015. Voting is now open - see here for details

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Warm welcome paddyross! :clap:

The BG bungalows will have a fridge but not a kitchen and you will either have to do a braai (barbeque) or use a communal kitchen which has hot water and a hot plate cooking and washing up areas but you will have to supply your own utensils and cooking equipment.
The BD bungalows will have their own kitchens with utensils, pots and pans etc and a braai stand outside.
I see Saraf has also described the various accommodations. :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

JeanniR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)

Unread postby JeanniR » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:21 am

We were in the Satara shop about 2 weeks ago, the renovations have been completed. The shop was also fully stocked :thumbs_up:
Such is the human race, often it seems a pity that Noah... didn't miss the boat.
Mark Twain

Want to learn something new? Take part in our Quizzes

Donny

Unread postby Donny » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:51 pm

Hi Guys

I am booked in next week at satara in 2 x bd2. Can u please advise which are the best units to request.

Thanks in advance
Need to get there soon !!!

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:16 am

Donny, looking at the map, maybe try keep away from the amphitheater (65-73) ... they run a movie each night. Not for long ... at about 7.
Sawubona
Dalene

cbozzini

Unread postby cbozzini » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi all,
we are planning to come back to Satara next June. Does anyone know if there are still public telephones in the camp? Last time we were there (April 2013) they were still operational but they had a stiker which informed on their removal.
We use prepaid cards to make international calls (we are from Italy) so public telephones are of great use!!
Thanks in advance!!

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:24 am

Hi cbozzini, welcome to the forum. :D

To be honest I am not sure if the public phones are still there or not. I do have some advice to offer though. One of our cellphone service providers(Telkom Mobile,), do have a offer that works like this.

For every R5 or more prepaid airtime you load, you get that equal amount of airtime for free, ex. load R100 and you will receive R100 for free. Thus you will be having R200 airtime for only R100 and I use this most of the time. So my advice will be similar to what our family do when they visit from the UK. They purchase a "cheap" cellphone, get a simcard and just load prepaid airtime as they need it. You can always keep the cellphone for future visits to SA.

Cellphone reception in general are quite good in main camps, like Satara.

I hope this was helpful. :thumbs_up:

Hope you have a great trip to Kruger. :mrgreen:
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

ctm7943

Unread postby ctm7943 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:54 pm

I have read about and see streamings from the Satara waterhole webcam.

I have a camp map, but do not see it listed on the map.

So, where is it exactly and are there any bungalows which would be located within proximity for good viewing?

Can waterhole wildlife activity be viewed from the fenceline?

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hugh » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:18 pm

The web cam is at the waterhole directly in front of the restaurant building on the other side of the fence . It can be spotted if you go and look at the fence
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

watershed

Unread postby watershed » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:53 pm

I have to admit that Satara was a disapointment for us this year. The bungalows could do with a bit of TLC and the grass in the circle was really quite high so that I had trepidations about using the recycling bins. Snakes hidden in the grass?? Also there were a number of small children running about in the grass. I do hope it has been cut short by now.
Having said that the best breakfasts we had were at the M&B in Satara.
24.02.15 - 27.02 Berg-en-Dal
27.02. - 03.03 Skukuza
03.03. - 06.03. Satara
06.03. - 09.03 Letaba
09.03. - 12.03. Shingwedzi
12.03. - 15.03. Olifants
15. 03. - 17.03. Lower Sabie

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”