Skip to Content

Satara Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Fozzi1

family bungalows at Satara

Unread postby Fozzi1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:56 am

Greetings.
Pse can someone urgently let me know what is the number of the GC5 family cottage, and does it have a big fridge/freezer.
Stayed in no. 82 last trip, would the GC5 be to the left of this bungalow.

josey

Re: family bungalows at Satara

Unread postby josey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:48 am

Hi Fozzi,
We have stayed in 86 and 87 before and they do have a big fridge and also a microwave.

Jo

ruud

Re: Satara Rest Camp

Unread postby ruud » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:41 am

cheetah2111 wrote:Could anybody please tell me what the cooking facilities are like?
We are staying in 2Bedroom huts - including one wheelchair friendly one(don't know if that affects things)
My mom keeps asking me about this, and I know the answer is somewhere on this thread, but there are pages on pages and I can't find it!
Is there:
A microwave
An oven?
Stove?
Gas braai?
Normal braai?

Hi Cheetah,

as far as I know, you have a guestcottage in the D-circle.
If so, you have a complete kitchen with micro,oven stove and a normal braai.So NO gasbraai:

Guest Cottages
• 1 x 5-bed and 9 x 6-bed units with well equipped kitchens and two bedrooms with 3 beds each (in the case of the 6 bed units). Both bedrooms have a bathroom en-suite (bath, WC and washbasin). The kitchen has a gas stove (with oven), fridge/freezer combination, sink, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery

(although the micro is not mentioned, al the times we were there we had a micro!)

Enjoy!!
:thumbs_up:
Ruud

Elsa

Re: closed Veranda Satara

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:57 pm

We have stayed in one of those the last 2 years and the enclosure is not glass but a small wire mesh with a netting, so air can still get through but it keeps monkeys and mozzies out.
You do feel a little like you are in a cage, :lol: but the benefits of not having to worry about little extra visitors maybe justifies it.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Katja
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Katja » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:17 am

ossendryver wrote:I'm going to the rudy frankel guest house in a few weeks. :dance:
Can anybody tell me sightings that they have seen from he waterhole it looks over?
thanks

When I was at Satara in September 2010 a clan of spotted hyaenas killed a buffalo right in front of the guesthouse. (I didn't see the kill and was later told that they drowned the buffalo in the waterhole.) Three lions tried to steal the kill but didn't succeed. Another 3 lions arrived later and started stalking the buffalo herd that was somewhere near the gate. Suddenly the buffalo herd started running along the fence and scared away the first 3 lions and the hyaenas. The hyaenas came back, continued eating and when they left, the buffalo was finished and there was nothing for the lions. There was also a black-backed jackal that managed to get a few bites of the kill.
Great hyaena/lion/jackal/buffalo interaction that lasted for a few hours. I didn't get much sleep that night... :)
KTP: November 2014
KNP: March 2015

wbevents

Unread postby wbevents » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:22 am

Just got back form a lovely time at Frankel house and Satara once again ! :clap:

Been many years since I have been in kruger during summer months, this time without the kiddies and with friends from europe. The kruger and Satara area look amazing, green green green and lots and lots of birds !!!Frankel house much diff than in winter, need chairs to stand on to see waterhole because of all the tall grass ! Can not sit near waterhole light at night time, to many insects. Still amazing house, best in kruger, great sightings while sipping a drink on the huge stoep, wildebeest, zebra, buffalo, ellies etc,
one of our highligts on the trip was driving the H7 early morning and just outside camp coming across around 25 wildogs on the hunt ....... and not to mention a cheetah with 8 cubs on the h10 !
July 2016 booked !!!

adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby adw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:22 pm

The best bungalow views (in my opinion) are those in the semi-circle starting with a G.
Any bungalow starting with a G have the best views but of course are in great demand.

I have done the Mananga 4x4 trail twice albeit 4 years ago. I did them in the dry season and they were fairly easy to traverse.
When I did it they cost me R400 a trip but I presume the cost has gone up quite a bit now.
Is the cost worth it? Let me put it this way I am glad I did it.
I dont think I saw more animals than usual but I did not see another vehicle on the trail.
Absolute bliss for me. Also when I did it you were allowed to get out of your vehicle provided you stayed within 10 to 15 feet ( I think that was the distance allowed) of your vehicle.
Also you are not allowed out your vehicle near any water streams. Hope this helps.
Rhino Poaching - Highlight's man's stupidity and greediness.

Higgsie

Unread postby Higgsie » Mon May 16, 2011 8:13 pm

We stayed in a BD2V bungalow at Satara in March this year.
There are 2 semi circles of bungalows.
The first semi circle goes from 161 to 167 and are between 5 and 25 metres from the fence with 161 and 167 the closest.
The second semi circle goes from 167 to 179 with the 2 outer huts only 5 metres from the fence, whilst the ones in the middle are up to 50 metres back.
Also this semi circle has numerous trees in it, so is a bit more shady . If I had a choice I'd go for 167.

Here's a picture of 161 and 162

and heres 167 and 166

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:46 pm

The guest cottages will have all you need in terms of being fully equipped.

The BD3 in Skukuza is listed as having a bathroom, fridge, aircon. and has utensils but you will have to use the communal kitchen to actually cook at. It will also have a braai outside.

The BG2E is a 2 sleeper, aircon, a WC and shower, a fridge, has no utensils and a communal kitchen will also have to be used.
will also have a braai.
It will have a enclosed veranda which is what the E stands for.

You could use the deli/takeaway or the restaurant if need be.

This info is taken from Here

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:11 am

molpol, if you have a look Here

and Satara contact details

Here

I hope you have a wonderful celebration! Enjoy

Elsa

Re: Satara rest camp

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:04 am

The Sunset drives usually leave about an hour before gate closure, night drives, where available, around 8 or 8.30 I think.

The morning walks also leave about 1 hour before gate opening.

Have a look Here for lots of extra info.

The picnic site with great views is N'wanetsi which is at the end of the H6.
There is also the Timbavati Picnic site within easy distance of camp which is a great spot as well.

Nungu
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Satara rest camp

Unread postby Nungu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:11 am

Hi Michael,

And welcome to the forums. I'm not sure, but I think it might be addictive!!

About the times of their activities - as far as I know there is a button somewhere on this sight about times etc. I just don't know where - but I'm sure other mites will help.

As far as picnic spots go.... you have PLENTY to choose from around Satara:

1. Nwanetsi Dam
This is a dam to the east of Satara with a picnic spot. Take the "dustbowl" S100 to get there - a busy dirt road but one where you might see the cats. You will either love or hate this road. N'wanetsi is about 35km's from Satara and what I love about it is that the picnic area is a distance away from the actual lookout... makes the lookout much more peaceful.

2. Muzandzeni
This is a quiet picnic spot South West of Satara - about 32km's away. Take the H1-3 South for 10km's and then turn right onto the S126. There isn't much of a view but it's nice and quiet. Just note that when we were there last week that whole area was on fire - so it might be black for the next couple of weeks... not necessarily a bad thing - but some people don't like it.... personally I think you might get to see the little critters normally hidden in the grass.

3. Timbavati
Situated 23km's North West of Satara take the H1-4 north and turn left onto the S127.... or even better take the H1-3 south for 2km's turn right onto the H7 towards Orpen. Then turn right again (north) onto the S40 past Girvana. This picnic spot has become very busy lately. But there is always a chance to see a bushbuck or 2 up close. But please, please don't feed them. An added benefit here is that the Ratelpan hide is just around the corner.

4. Nhlanguleni
If you wanna travel a bit further you can go South West to Nhlanguleni. 62kms south on the H1-3. Turn right onto the Vutomi road (S33 - great dirt road) and right onto the S36.

5. Tshokwane
If you're looking for a picnic spot with a shop and nice Kudu Rolls or Pap&Sheba you can take the H1-3 south to Tshokwane. 49km's on the tar road - but there are many, many, many dirt roads along the way if you wanna take the scenic route. PS: I see that they're stuck with a food stealing baboon troop again :wall:

6. Olifants Camp
If you wanna go north and have one of the best views in Kruger, you can go to Olifants Camp. It's got a view to die for... but unfortunately the picnic area is behind the shops and not with the view.
Have you seen KNP from the SKY yet??

Member No. 15342
-----------------------

Perks.
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Perks. » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:05 pm

Feedback from last weekend...

We spent one night in Satara, leap-frogging up to Letaba.

We had a BD3B unit booked, and as luck would have it, the identical hut we had previously!

Since our last visit (2007), these huts have had a small half-boma built onto the verandah, which used to be mesh-enclosed. The fridge has been gated in, which makes up for the mesh removal.

In any event, they really are super now, providing much more space outside than before. They've also been intelligently designed, with a bulkhead lamp placed close to the braai, for instance.

I would recommend that if you are spending a fair length of time in one of these huts, a small (3m x 3m) piece of 60- or 80% shade-cloth will provide even better shade over the boma area, than the roof poles alone. But that really is nitpicking... I'd have no problem going back.

The Satara pool is lovely, the camp is as charming as ever, and the game in the area is like going to the zoo... you cannot drive two kilometers without seeing something.

And oooooh yes, re the reply from 03/10... there was a shedload of rain on Monday!
Last trip: New Years in Skuks and Satara
Next: ....................................................

Pumbaa
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pumbaa » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:27 am

First I think the bungalow in the G circle are all nice :thumbs_up:

We stayed in No. G161 - the very first one which is also located extreme close to the fence and we saw indeed a lot of animals from our verandah. 8)

alf

Unread postby alf » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:48 pm

No 167 are the closest to the fence. By far the best perimeter in the camp
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”