Skip to Content

5 Nights in September

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
scottmcd

5 Nights in September

Unread postby scottmcd » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi,

My wife and I are coming to the Kruger in September where I think we'll have 6 days/ 5 nights in the Kruger.

Originally I was thinking to try and travel the length of the park but from what I've read on here today that doesn't sound like a great idea.

I would appreciate some advice regarding the best places to see wildlife at this time of year. I spent a bit of time in the Kruger around 10-11 years ago in June when I was visiting SA as a student, and was mostly around Skukuza. I've also been to Botswana in 2004, so I've been lucky enough to see most of the main species before, although not to the extent that I'm not excited about hopefully seeing them again!

My wife has never been to Africa before, so I would like to try and see the main species for her as well as hopefully slightly less common things like Wild dogs and cheetah that I've never seen in the wild before.
It will just be the two of us, and so staying in bungalows would be our plan.

I was thinking maybe 3 nights somewhere like Skukuza/ Pretoriuskop/ Lower Sabie and maybe 2 nights in Mopane or similar to see a bit more of the park?

Any advice would be gratefully received,

Scott

RayK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: 5 Nights in September

Unread postby RayK » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi scottmcd,
Welcome to the Forum. My recommendation would be Satara and Lower Sabie with the last night closer to your exit gate. Don't forget to extend the days by taking sunset or night drives provided by Sanparks vehicles. Have fun. :)

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:39 pm

A warm welcome to the forums scottmcd!

Five nights are definitely not enough to travel the length of the park. I agree with RayK, rather book at Satara, Lower Sabie, or if you cannot get accommodation, try Crocodile Bridge and/or Berg en Dal. Tamboti is also a great camp with luxury tents, with Orpen as another option. Also try Malelane and Pretoriuskop. All these camps are in the southern parts of the Park, where you will see more of the Big Five and Wild Dogs.

I would not recommend more than two camps for five nights. It takes time to pack up every night to move to a next camp the following day. Time that you could have spend driving around, enjoying all the park has to offer. And as RayK has said, make use of a sunset/night drive, or an early morning drive.

Enjoy your planning, and I wish you a wonderful holiday with lots and lots of stunning sightings! :dance: :dance:

scottmcd

Unread postby scottmcd » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:04 am

Thanks for your advice guys. Lower Sabie is booked up already unfortunately but I've taken your recommendations and got camps booked and also some game drives through SAN Parks as well.

I'll keep my eyes on the forum for advice regarding routes now!

Scott :D

gjorgi

Unread postby gjorgi » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi Scott, you mention that you got camps booked. Where did you book in the end?

scottmcd

Unread postby scottmcd » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Pretoriuskop for 3 nights and Tamboti for 2

gjorgi

Unread postby gjorgi » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:19 pm

Hi Scott, enjoy! Just remember to start early when going to Tamboti, that is at least a 6 hour trip....maybe even 7. Your average speed drops quite dramatically when you keep stopping along the way. Am sure your wife will LOVE it!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:08 am

Pre tories Kop is good in September. There are many dams and waterholes close to the camp. It is usually a dry month, so it is possible to just wait for animals to come and drink. Shitlehave dam is good for Sable sightings.

In my mind, Tambotie is good anytime of the year.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”