Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Snakes in roofs –is it possible?
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 am 

In certain aspects Moz spitting cobras are more dangerous than mambas. There seems to be relatively more encounters with them as they come closer to human dwellings. They are also nocturnal which makes it difficult to spot them, they are very acurate in spitting their venom (can do so even from a lying down position) and their complex venom is a combination of cytotoxic (painful and damaging to body tissue) and neurotoxic (potentially fatal). Having said this I would still rather be bitten by a Moz than a mamba.

I wish that guy that got bitten in the North West reserve that starts with a P a speedy recovery with minimum damage.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
JeanniR wrote:
But what if it falls from above? or comes slithering into your bed later?

I`m going to start sleeping in a motorcycle helmet 8)

I've got the perfect T-shirt for you to sleep in with your helmet on, JeanniR. It says on the front "I AM THE STIG" :lol: :lol:

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

Travel Tales - Jaxi's and Porridge's 4th adventure

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yikes this thread gives me the slithers!!! :shock:

I have had encounters with scorpions and spiders (don't leap out of bed without looking at the floor is my advice!). I am still yet to see a snake out in the bush believe it or not - they obviously hear me coming..

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Snakes in roofs? Most definitely!!! Here is our story.....

It was our 2nd trip to Africa. We were staying in a small hut with a thatch roof. It had 2 rooms (bedroom and bathroom), with simple light fixtures in each room, connected by a grey electric cable running along the inside of the peak of the roof. The door to the hut was very rustic, with a slide bolt on either side to keep it closed. SO had gone to the bar and “locked” me in while I was in the shower. I finished my shower, wrapped a towel around myself and was sitting on the edge of the bed brushing out my hair when I felt something land on the bed behind me. I turned around in time to see a mouse scurry away. Ah, not a problem, just a mouse, I thought. Then I thought about it a bit more. :hmz: That mouse must have fallen from the roof. I looked up and the grey electric cable was moving. Uh, oh, that’s not an electric cable, that’s a SNAKE. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: And I can’t get out unless I break down the door. :wall: And, I’m not dressed. :doh: I took a few seconds to gather my thoughts. OK, that snake is probably more afraid of me than I am of it. :pray: Or maybe it’s 50/50. It really didn’t matter at that point, because the snake was long gone.

When SO came back, I told him the story. It was actually kind of fun, watching his eyes grow bigger and demanding “WHERE is it now?”. Of course by that time, the snake was probably in the next country. That night, SO slept with a knife beside his bed, I got the torch/flashlight. :whistle:

The next day, I looked up the snake in the field guide. I hadn't gotten a good look at it, and I certainly didn't ask it for ID. The section on poisonous snakes was a whole lot bigger than the non-poisonous section, but I did find one in the non-poisonous section that looked similar. Or that's what I convinced myself of. I was able to sleep a little better after that.

Post subject: Re: Snakes in roofs – are it possible?
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have read the good news today that the person who was bitten in the eye by the Mozambican Cobra while asleep in his bed earlier this month has gained back the sight in his left eye -although he still needs to fully recover from the snake bite.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:27 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Timbits wrote:

The section on poisonous snakes was a whole lot bigger than the non-poisonous section,

It isn't really most books just show the dangerous ones and not all the innocent ones. If you get a full guide with all the snakes you will see the deadly ones are probibly only 15 to 20 %.

I'm a BIG snake fan sorry and just feel sad that they are the most misunderstood animal if you ask me, over easter I shared a small bird hide (1.5 x1.5m pop up) with a little Spotted bush snake (one of the "safe" ones) that was after a gecko and no-one got bitten or killed (the snake) I sat looking at it and the snake nearly had a heart attack when it saw me and left.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:52 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Porridge wrote:
I love them too, NetEk, but my SO is hyper-phobic. 3 nights in Tamboti in September will hopefully get her over it :)

Don't count on it!!!!! :shock:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:57 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have a Texas Rat Snake as a pet.....

Isn't she beautiful, these are old pic's she's over 1.5m now.

I REALLY LOVE snakes. Did Mike Perry's course awhile back. Would advice anybody that might meet up with a snake to do it. He covers Identification, First aid and then just for fun handeling. PM me if you want his info.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Grantmissy wrote:
And also reported today on News24 happened in Polokwane (in a separate incident than the one in Mokopane) where a woman was bitten by an Egyptian Cobra that had crawled into her daughter's car. She was picked up by her daughter after a shopping trip, and after they drove off the snake bit her.

Those are not very small towns how do these snakes live in such urban populated areas I wonder and it is getting winter :hmz:

GM Polokwane may be a City but their is still so much bush in those surrounding areas that they do still appear in peoples gardens and houses their, as for that snake the fact that it was in the car says to me we are going to have an extremely cold winter this year cos that snake was looking for a warm place to hibernate and she disturbed it eish now im really not looking forward to winter, hope that lady will be ok

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Bush Baptist wrote:
NetEk wrote:
I sat looking at it and the snake nearly had a heart attack when it saw me and left.

Well then don't go to a hide in your curlers and gown without make-up. :twisted:

Oh is that what it was :w:

I don't do curlers or make up sorry. But we didn't have any warm water for a few days might have been the stench. :w: :redface:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WOW, WOW, WOW. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Some great stories, and scary as well, the only possible snake I dont mind spending the room with would be a Python. Besides that, If I see one, You'll find me sleeping in the safety of my Car, a place which I can guarantee there are no Snakes in.

Personally I have slept many hundreds of nights in Shingwedzi and I am yet to experience a Snake in camp, however I did see a Black Mamba at the Kanniedood Dam Bird Hide which disappeared very soon indeed. I will be staying at Tambots in June, and I am personally not really afraid of staying at Tambots, because I have slept at Sable peacefully with Lions just outside the hide, and I shared a hide with Hippos at Shipandani for an overnight stay, other than that, so Tambots seem pretty safe, and most snakes are in hibernation, but if I do see one, nothing is stopping me from sleeping in the car.

I said a lot of things which I dont think makes sense. I think this particular thread has made me lose my mind a bit. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Alright people, right now I am cursing myself for coming onto this topic :mrgreen: :wall:

I have never been soo afraid of snakes in my life, I mean I have slept at Sable and Shipandani overnight hides, and I think I hold the world record of spending the most nights in Shingwedzi Camp over the years, but never once thought there could be a snake in the bathroom or in my room as a matter of fact. I spent one sleepless night last night thinking about a snake biting me while I am asleep, and am not even in South Africa yet. right, I may be 20, but I am sleeping in the same room as my dad in all my future visits to Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
kallis1786 wrote:
I am sleeping in the same room as my dad in all my future visits to Kruger.

Kallis I think many people either look for protection/security or run away when a snake is in the immediate vicinity.

The South-African summer is here, snakes are more active, and although the possibility and probability of finding a snake in the Kruger accommodation are low, a person should always take care.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I returned from Hazyview a few days ago.

My daughter and I decided to do a lovely trail walk next to the Mac Mac river. Most of the walk was on very tangled riverine bush. It is actually quite lush at the moment due to early rains.

At some point we heard a faint movement in the bush. My daughter went to investigate.

"Ïts only a frog", she said.

Big mama asks if its worth a :cam: .

My daughter peers closely and claims, ''it looks gross, maybe its not a frog".

Big mama goes to look, holding her camera.

There is silence

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Not so big mama says, ''it is a frog, but it is attached to a boomslang's head''.

Did I tell you I have a snake phobia?

I did creep as close as possible to see if I could get a picture, but it would have meant moving branches and twigs. That is not yet in by bravery capacity.

I must say, I was rather grossed out by the sight.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jeez, I have not had any snake experiences in Kruger till date and Thank God for that, but had a few sightings of snakes around my house here in Thohoyandou, we recently saw an Mfezi :shock:

MM, You are really brave even to try and get a photo :clap: :clap: :clap: , but a scary experience non the less.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next