Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:02 am 

I have spent a few nights there and enjoyed the peacefulness of the place. I think it could be a bit noisy if the wind was southerly though, bringing industrial noise from Malelane.

Scruff

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Beautifull camp , nice and quiet ... inside .
The noise from the factory can get a bit much , and also
1 time I stayed there the farm across the river had motor bikes
racing about :? .

It is great for an overnight stop if you are entering the park late
on a afternoon , as malelane is still the easiest gate and best route from jhb/pta to get to the park quickly , and are moving up to satara or so on the next morning.
There is a scheme now , that if you arive late at the park , you can enter certain gate camps that you will be staying at later than normal hours (up to about 9pm) , you have to pre arrange this .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:33 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Bucky wrote :

Quote:
It is great for an overnight stop if you are entering the park late
on a afternoon , as malelane is still the easiest gate and best route from jhb/pta to get to the park quickly , and are moving up to satara or so on the next morning.

Looked rather a nice place to stay and convenient if wanting to get into the first gate - for one night, I could live with the noise

Post subject: Malelane camp: Stories and information
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:04 am 

Hey guys and gals :D !

I'm heading over to the KNP next week for three nights :dance: ... and thought it would be a good idea to get some info on one of the camps I'm staying at...Malelane.

I'm just interested to hear people's views on this little camp, I've never been there before and was wondering:

What people have seen from the camp fence?

What the camp itself is like?

Does one have to check in at Berg-en-Dal?

And generally any other stories or advice on it :D

It's in a lovely area of the park and have driven past the entrance road many times in traveling to Berg's :wink: !

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:23 pm 

Haha... to true BH! You caught me :lol: ! It looks like a nice little place so we're very keen for the trip! Thanks for reply :mrgreen:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi
this is a satelite camp to Berg n dal so you need to checkin and shop at Berg n dal, The camp is small and fairly old but they were doing some renovations when I popped in a few weeks back nothing large just rethatching etc. The camp is down by the river but does look out over the suger cane and towards the mill. There is a resident leopard in the area that is frequently seen as well as a pride of 5 lion that seem to have been hanging aroung the area for the past couple of months. Last sighting I heard of was 2 days ago.
the wild dog are often also seen in this area and I have often seen honey badgers near by.
enjoy your trip

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:51 pm 

Stephen Nel, Manager Hospitality Services, Berg & Dal Rest Camp has asked me to post the following for him.

Stephen wrote:
At least there has been a visitor to the fence at Malelane. He was very calm and relaxed. I do not have a big zoom on my camera so had to get close to take this photo. We had a gentlemen’s agreement: I would not bother him for too long and he would not break my fence.

Post subject: Re: Malelane camping
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:13 pm 

Hi Pikkie,
If you read here, some of your questions may be answered...

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:27 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Malelane is a great little camp! Just 15 camp sites, ample electricity although a long lead is needed for the majority of fence sites. There are also 5 bungalows. The ablution block is small - men have 2 showers, ladies a shower and bath. It does get a little under pressure when the camp is full. There is the usual outside communal kitchen area - but also an inside kitchen with communal freezer and lots of cupboard space, plus a full gas cooker (nowhere else in Kruger!!!).

Noisy sometimes at weekends from the town side, but not too late, and not too intrusive. I have known other camps far worse.

Morning and sunset drives are done - morning drive 1/2 hour before gate opening (although often negotiable with guide), and sunset drive 5pm. Morning walks will be starting in the near future too, although even now they can be booked via BnD and they will do a pick-up.

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:50 pm 

Quote:
Morning and sunset drives are done - morning drive 1/2 hour before gate opening (although often negotiable with guide), and sunset drive 5pm. Morning walks will be starting in the near future too, although even now they can be booked via BnD and they will do a pick-up.

Hey Ecojunkie, how negotiable are the morning drive time and with who do we negotiate? We are staying in Malelane this coming Easter Weekend and would love to do either a morning or sunset drive, which would you recommend?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The guide who is taking the morning drive will try to talk to you the evening before to check on timing. Your choice is pretty much 1/2 hr before gate opening to about 1 hr after gate opening. It does depend on how many folk are going of course...... And they will not do drives for less than 4 people (unless you pay for the extra). Not quite sure of the reasoning behind that as I know other camps will do drives for 2 people - but that is another issue....

Morning or evening????? Depends really on what you want. If you want the nocturnal creatures then sunset is best - unless you go early for the morning drive so you get a decent bit of darkness. But if you like birds, and the bush waking up, then morning drives are best. I love morning drives....but also enjoy the sunset! Whichever you choose just plan on enjoying the experience of being out there at a time when others cannot, and appreciate whatever comes your way - and you will have a great time.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:57 am 

Thanks Ecojunkie, looking forward to it. Being a Malelane local, could you maybe give advice on good roads to drive, have you got any favourites around the area?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The 'best' roads vary! Depends on where the animals decide to roam...... Driving the Steilberg road is a must as you get to the highest point you can drive to in Kruger, with some good views (NOT a 'get out' point though).

The S114/25/119/118 loop often provides some good sightings - but can be disappointing too!

The tar road to Afsaal provides a nice plain just before Afsaal where there are often lots of animals, and I have often seen ground hornbills there too. South of that is also Renosterpan which can be good for sightings.

Ask around when you are here for the best tips.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:33 pm 

I understand that the Malelane camp sunset drive is done from Berg-en-Dal and that it departs at 17h00.

Does the truck first pick up guests at Berg-en-Dal and then guests at Malelane camp or does the truck depart from Malelane camp? If the truck departs from Berg-en-Dal and then to Malelane camp, it would mean that the folk from Malelane camp would only be on a 2 hour drive?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:55 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The Malelane drives are done from Malelane! Guests from the camp are usually picked up about 1630-1645 and then taken down to the gate to pick up any from outside the park joning the drive. At the end of the drive outside guests are dropped off and then the vehicle returns to camp to drop off camp guests. So camp guests can get a longer drive in fact! If wanted they can be dropped off before outside guests, and sometimes the gate reception forgets to let the guide know about camp guests so they are then picked up after the camp guests at about 5.15.

Morning drives are also done from camp.

At present walks are done in conjunction with Berg-en-Dal, but that will change in the future and walks will also be done from camp.