Skip to Content

Malelane Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bucky » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:04 am

Beautifull camp , nice and quiet ... inside .
The noise from the factory can get a bit much , and also
1 time I stayed there the farm across the river had motor bikes
racing about :? .

It is great for an overnight stop if you are entering the park late
on a afternoon , as malelane is still the easiest gate and best route from jhb/pta to get to the park quickly , and are moving up to satara or so on the next morning.
There is a scheme now , that if you arive late at the park , you can enter certain gate camps that you will be staying at later than normal hours (up to about 9pm) , you have to pre arrange this .

Bush Andy

Malelane camp: Stories and information

Unread postby Bush Andy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:04 am

Hey guys and gals :D !

I'm heading over to the KNP next week for three nights :dance: ... and thought it would be a good idea to get some info on one of the camps I'm staying at...Malelane.

I'm just interested to hear people's views on this little camp, I've never been there before and was wondering:

What people have seen from the camp fence?

What the camp itself is like?

Does one have to check in at Berg-en-Dal?

And generally any other stories or advice on it :D

It's in a lovely area of the park and have driven past the entrance road many times in traveling to Berg's :wink: !

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!
A bird in the hand should be in the Bush!! ;)

wingman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wingman » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:51 pm

This is a satellite camp to Berg n Dal so you need to check in and shop at Berg n Dal,
The camp is small and fairly old but they were doing some renovations when I popped in a few weeks back nothing large just re-thatching etc.
The camp is down by the river but does look out over the sugar cane and towards the mill.
There is a resident leopard in the area that is frequently seen as well as a pride of 5 lion that seem to have been hanging around the area for the past couple of months.
Last sighting I heard of was 2 days ago.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:51 pm

Stephen Nel, Manager Hospitality Services, Berg & Dal Rest Camp has asked me to post the following for him.

Stephen wrote:At least there has been a visitor to the fence at Malelane. He was very calm and relaxed. I do not have a big zoom on my camera so had to get close to take this photo. We had a gentlemen’s agreement: I would not bother him for too long and he would not break my fence.

ImageLarge
Last edited by Elsa on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic resized.
Sawubona
Dalene

Boorgatspook
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Malelane camping

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi Pikkie,
If you read here, some of your questions may be answered...

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:27 pm

Malelane is a great little camp! Just 15 camp sites, ample electricity although a long lead is needed for the majority of fence sites. There are also 5 bungalows. The ablution block is small - men have 2 showers, ladies a shower and bath. It does get a little under pressure when the camp is full. There is the usual outside communal kitchen area - but also an inside kitchen with communal freezer and lots of cupboard space, plus a full gas cooker (nowhere else in Kruger!!!).

Noisy sometimes at weekends from the town side, but not too late, and not too intrusive. I have known other camps far worse.

Morning and sunset drives are done - morning drive 1/2 hour before gate opening (although often negotiable with guide), and sunset drive 5pm. Morning walks will be starting in the near future too, although even now they can be booked via BnD and they will do a pick-up.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Visit OLA

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:13 am

The 'best' roads vary! Depends on where the animals decide to roam...... Driving the Steilberg road is a must as you get to the highest point you can drive to in Kruger, with some good views (NOT a 'get out' point though).

The S114/25/119/118 loop often provides some good sightings - but can be disappointing too!

The tar road to Afsaal provides a nice plain just before Afsaal where there are often lots of animals, and I have often seen ground hornbills there too. South of that is also Renosterpan which can be good for sightings.

Ask around when you are here for the best tips.

Visit OLA

Johan N

Unread postby Johan N » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:33 pm

I understand that the Malelane camp sunset drive is done from Berg-en-Dal and that it departs at 17h00.

Does the truck first pick up guests at Berg-en-Dal and then guests at Malelane camp or does the truck depart from Malelane camp? If the truck departs from Berg-en-Dal and then to Malelane camp, it would mean that the folk from Malelane camp would only be on a 2 hour drive?

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:55 pm

The Malelane drives are done from Malelane! Guests from the camp are usually picked up about 1630-1645 and then taken down to the gate to pick up any from outside the park joning the drive. At the end of the drive outside guests are dropped off and then the vehicle returns to camp to drop off camp guests. So camp guests can get a longer drive in fact! If wanted they can be dropped off before outside guests, and sometimes the gate reception forgets to let the guide know about camp guests so they are then picked up after the camp guests at about 5.15.

Morning drives are also done from camp.

At present walks are done in conjunction with Berg-en-Dal, but that will change in the future and walks will also be done from camp.

Visit OLA

El-Bok

Re: Malelane Satellite Camp

Unread postby El-Bok » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi all has anyone got any newer experiences of Malelane camping am booked there for 2 nights in July was wondering if it is good area for sightings or perphaps only camp there for one night then move to Skuzuza if there is still space? all suggestions welcome.
June 2010 Trip Report - Kruger Here We Come

Planned Trip Nov 2010

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:32 pm

I am living there!

Yes it can get noisy at times from across the river, but not all that often, and usually the noise finishes at a reasonable time too. Yes there is a view of sugar cane across the river too (and occasionally the 'Malelane snow' when they burn the cane prior to harvesting). But as has been said the birding is great - green pigeons around a lot of the time for example.

One other problem for those who book there for the quiet is the guests from other camps (or day visitors) who decide to come into the camp to look around or use the ablutions - they ignore the large 'no day visitor' sign, and forget that they actually cause a disturbance by crunching gravel, revving engines, loud talking, doors slamming, etc as they drive in. In the bigger camps such disturbance is kept to the day visitor/reception areas. It is just not fair on the guests who have booked for quietness to find they have to endure intrusions like that.

But having said all that, I find there are many folk who love the camp and return frequently. No shop or restaurant is not a problem for them (we have had folk insist on moving when they found neither!).

Game viewing is much like any other place in Kruger - sometimes really great, others quiet. The scenery is great of course with the mountains.

Visit OLA

Richprins

Unread postby Richprins » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:55 am

Am playing with Google Earth...

A 2010 image!:

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Require info

Unread postby ecojunkie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:16 pm

Malelane camp is small - only 5 bungalows and 15 camp sites. No shop or restaurant. The bungalows have fridges and cooking utensils etc, but cooking facilities are shared with the campers in an outside lapa and an inside kitchen (with gas cooker). There is a large shady grassed area in front of the bungalows, and a fenced in area where you can look down to the river. Opposite the camp on the other side of the river are cane fields and sometimes you can hear the traffic on the N4, or trains on the railway line. But the noise is not really a problem at all - there is more noise from the other guests in the bigger camps anyway!

The area is like any other in Kruger for sightings.....very good sometimes and poor at others! It is very pretty though with the highest points in the whole of Kruger.

Visit OLA

cheetah2111

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:21 pm

Hi there Klasventer :D

Malalane is one of the most under rated camps in Kruger! Many people are concerned about the noise that comes from the other side of the Croc River by farmers and so on. But in my experience the noise coming from the farmers is insignificant in comparison with the general noise one would experience in large rest camps.

It is a charming little camp 8)
Every camper can easily find a spot at the fence 8) Plenty of trees for shade 8) And the camp is well kept 8) You are most probably familiar with the game viewing there ... brilliant to say the least :D Especially for leopard :dance:

I would recommend that next time you go to Kruger, you spend your first nights at Malalane and give it a try :thumbs_up:
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

PetraJ
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PetraJ » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:49 pm

I would really recommend Malelane camp for camping, it is a great camp :thumbs_up:

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”