Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Top 5 roads South of Lower Sabie and Pretoriuskop.
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:08 am 

Hi everyone

What are your top 5 roads in the southern section of the park, specifically south of Lower Sabie & Pretoriuskop, and why? :think:

Here are mine in no particular order, it's just too hard to choose :D

1. S28 - The open plains always deliver. The good grazing attracts an incredible variety of game and with this come the predators. Prime big 5 territory!!! We've also been lucky enough to see cheetah several times along this route. Its always my number 1 road to drive when staying in the Crocodile bridge area.

2. H4-2 - especially the last 10km or so before Lower Sabie. Even though it gets busy, there is nothing like coming over the hill and getting your first glimpse of the Sabie river when driving up to Lower Sabie. This area is just teaming with incredible wild life. Game, birds, big riverine trees and everything that comes with it. You don’t need to drive far to find the action, particularly in the dry months.

3. Biyamiti Bushcamp road/ S114 – this road is without a doubt one of my favorites, particularly where it meets the S114 by the Biyamiti weir. I have had some of my best leopard and black rhino sightings along this beautiful road. It’s also an amazing feeling being all alone as it a private road for bush camp guests only. The bush does get very thick in the summer months however which can impact the game viewing.

4. S25 – another beautiful drive with some lovely views of the Crocodile River. We have ways had good luck on this road and have even been lucky enough to encounter the odd wild dog sighting. Again, sticking close to a major water source during the dry months is always a good idea. Everything comes down to the river at some point. In Aug 2013 we were lucky enough to see the resident lion pride make several hunting attempts on a huge herd of buffalo over the course of a few days.

5. S110 (dirt road) – Love the granite koppies and the drive to the Matjulu waterhole. Beautiful surroundings and scenery with good game viewing. There are few things that beat a sun downer at Matjulu waterhole. During one trip, we saw 4 of the big 5 in and around this waterhole. The birding is also very special.

What are your top 5 roads and why? Share some of your experiences and sighings.

Post subject: Re: Top 5 roads South of Lower Sabie and Pretoriuskop.
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:48 am 

Hi, James.
Love your logo!!
Can't argue with your choice of roads but would add the Nwatimhiri road(s21) and Biyamiti loop(s23).
Also I love the loops around Pretoriuskop,which have been very mixed for us,but always get the feeling that something could happen.
We will be in Biyamiti in 3 days time,then Pretoriuskop so if I can work out how to download pictures watch out for a TR in September.
Cheers.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Afriphile wrote:
Hi, James.
Love your logo!!
Can't argue with your choice of roads but would add the Nwatimhiri road(s21) and Biyamiti loop(s23).
Also I love the loops around Pretoriuskop,which have been very mixed for us,but always get the feeling that something could happen.
We will be in Biyamiti in 3 days time,then Pretoriuskop so if I can work out how to download pictures watch out for a TR in September.
Cheers.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have just had my morning laugh. Brilliant logo.

I want to add a road, but I am not sure which road to take away.

I have also had good sightings on the Phabeni, S1. I love to stop at the Albasini ruins and breathe in the Kruger air. I think I also associate it with arriving :dance: :dance: :dance: oh dear, but also leaving. :cry: :cry: :cry:

a very emotional road.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:06 am 

Leopard at the Biyamiti weir - Biyamiti road/ S114 intersection

Buffalo meets sleeping lion on the S28

Morning traffic on the H4-2 on the way up to Lower Sabie

Elephant having a dip - Crocodile river

Last edited by James of the Jungle on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
James, those are seriously beautiful pictures :thumbs_up: