Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes i find this road a very nice drive, have had excellent big 5 sightings and is always good for birds...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This road is one of my favourites, but sometimes quite boring I must admit. When it gives , it gives BIG however ! We've seen the big 5 , hyena, jackal, cheetah etc. Probably our best sighting happened about ten years ago at the eastern end of the road. We came round a bend and there were four cheetahs right in front of us resting in the middle of the road. We watched them for a while - another car approached , but they were still undisturbed. All of a sudden they sat up and sneaked off into the bush, looking back into the bush. We were still wondering what had changed their mood, when a big male leopard crossed the road at about the spot where they had been resting. Two other cars arrived and asked what we were looking at minutes later. Well I didn't even want to tell them, they wouldn't have believed me, so there happened to be a vulture in a tree which I could show them LOL

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:46 am 

Back in July while travelling on this road at about 13h00 came across a pangolin walking across the road , my first pangolin in 34 year....we spent about 10 min watching it forage..it was fantastic ...also saw Elephant , impala , baboon as well as a two secretary birds :D , we were told about cheetahs but we see them. :( ..luck of the draw I suppose 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Little Leopard

What is enjoyable about this road is the varied vegation and changes of scenary. There are some spots you can just park and switch off the car and chill 8). I sometmes take 5 hours just for 30 plus kms!! Once i hit the Tar road, i turn around and go back... too much traffic on the tar highway.

I also have found it to be very rewarding for birding throughout the year, sections being close to permanent water).

Yes, i have been lucky recently on the road. The half closer to LS is the section where i have been fortunate to see most of the more uncommon - cheetah, leopard, wild dog. Still hoping to see a Black Rhino on this road... which rumour has it have been seen! I believe some sable are seen on this road often, but I have not seen them on many trips on Salitje.
Enjoy.. and see you in the park one day

KNP: 03 Jan to 12 Jan 14 (Berg n Dal, PKop, Croc Bridge)
KNP 10 May to 17 May 2013 (Malelane, Satara, Skukuza)
KNP 16 July to 26 July 14 (Croc Bridge, Tamboti, L Sabie )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:25 pm 

The Salitje road is known as one of the top Leopard Roads in Kruger especially on the Lower Sabie Section away from the river wher I saw 3 leopard in one afternoon. It was also one of the favourite roads for Kambaku one of the famous Magnificent 7 elephants. It's not rough at all .... try the roads in the Kalahari for comparison!!!!!

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject: Salitjie Road
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:11 am 

Along this route there is an area fenced off to keep out the larger grazers and only allow the smaller ones.

Has anything been learned from this experiment.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I don't know about the fence on the S3, but the other fence near P'kop, on the Voortrekker Road, is the quarantine camps.

I was told by a ranger at Nkuhlu years ago that the fences on the northern bank of the Sabie were a research experiment, to gauge the shift patterns of game that have their usual routes blocked off by unnatural means.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:38 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Everyone

Not head office here, only little old me.

Those are pretty long term experiments. I believe we are in year eight of the 25 year term.

On the Southern Bank of the river, there is actually a well worded explanation, but basically the blocks are divided into two major areas (one that we let fire go through and one that we don't) and each of these major areas are divided into three minor areas (one that only lets in small animals, one that lets in everything and one that doesn't let in any animals).

So far, the results are more or less predictable. The trees in the fenced areas are growing pretty tall compared to the other trees and the fire plots also show major advantages to keeping fire in the system.

I will look out for a formal report on this project and see if anything is worth posting.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all :D

I think this road is very under estimated!! Really, did anyone have some exellent sightings on this road? The 3 times I've been on this road , I've seen 2x lots of hyena's , 2 x a big pride of lions (9 or so) 1 x buffalo, zebra , an elephant and loads of nice flowers, as this was in November! Not to mention the other game .... And a lovely sunset on a sunsetdrive!

(My proof of 2005)

Like to hear from you formites

Monné

Last edited by G@mespotter on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: S30 Salitje Road - Between Skukuza & Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This the loop you're talking about Martial Eagle?

Pic taken by TheunsH, and placed on Where in Kruger quizz here:

Member No. 15342
-----------------------

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:14 am 

Have done this road every year for over 15 years. Some good days some bad days. But have seen Leopard Cheetah and Wild Dogs amongst the normal game.

One question remains, parts of the area are "fenced off" to only allow small animals in, and keep the bigger browsers out. What is the findings? How long are they still going to do it? If the tests yield positive results, are they planning on setting up more fences? ( Surely you do not test something just for the sake of testing)

I believe Sanparks have not made public any findings ( If they did I apologise )

Are they even running these tests anymore. Yes I know it is a long term test, but surely they have been running it for many years now, and some findings must have been made.

Does anyone know anything.

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:38 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sorry Jakoventer ... I don't know anything about these "fenced off" regions :?
The S30 was still closed when I was in Lower Sabie from 9-12Feb because of flood damage. It would be nice if someone could post on this thread once it opens :thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Post subject: Re: Salitjie Road
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:58 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Has anyone had any luck on this road? :D
Or any experiences to share? :D

I have never driven this road before. I want to try it on my next trip 8)

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:26 am 

Hi

Very corrugated road in some parts, but also some very nice "hidden" stops next to the river. Lovely quiet road, have never had more than 3 cars pass us on this road.

We have seen Cheetah, Wild Dog and Leopard along with the normal game. We always drive this road. We normally drive it from Skukuza to Mlondozi as the morning drive.

As said, can be very corrugated in some places, and for some reason, this road cannot be graded, as according to the sign boards it has not rained enough to be able to grade it. Wow not enough rain, funny how the floods since 2000 has completely missed this road, even if it is right next to the river. Something smells fishy here.

Anyway, worth to travel at least once

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 am 

Hi Cheetah2111,
I have seen everything on this road, wild dog, leopard, lions, cheetah loads of antelope, ellies
different birds but have also driven it and seen nothing, you just never know, I believe its worth
a drive though especially early in the morning.

Bornfree :D