Skip to Content

Shimuwini Bushveld Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Elsa

Re: Shimuwini Bushveld Camp

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:45 pm

I really don't think you should worry about a lot of nattering on phones, the signal is not that great so quite a difficult procedure.
but anyway, the tree in question is near the hide which is in front of the low numbered bungalows.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

judithlorraine123

Unread postby judithlorraine123 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:23 pm

thankyou! we´ve been allocated #7 so we should be fine.

judithlorraine123

Unread postby judithlorraine123 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:30 am

sorry...but yet another question....have just been told (another forum) that we may find the travel time required between talamati and shimuwini difficult to cover in one day and that we should take the fastest rather than the most interesting route. days are rather short in may. must get an early start of course. what do you kruger experts think....

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:33 am

There was NO signal there, even under the Jackberry tree when we were there. The tree is next to the bird hide, to the right.
Sawubona
Dalene

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hugh » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:37 am

I think the distance is easily doable Leave early and as long as you don't spend ages at each siting and set times you should reach certain targets you should be fine.
And all the chalets are great with great views.
We spent ages in the hide watching a goliath heron and the kingfishers were all over The river was flowing quite strongly
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ...2015 trip to SanParks completed

Unread postby umtali1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:59 am

judithlorraine123 wrote:sorry...but yet another question....have just been told (another forum) that we may find the travel time required between talamati and shimuwini difficult to cover in one day and that we should take the fastest rather than the most interesting route. days are rather short in may. must get an early start of course. what do you kruger experts think....

My two favourite camps :mrgreen:
Shouldn't be a problem so long as you leave early and stay on the tar roads. Leave Talamati north on S140, East on S106, picking up H7 to Satara. You have he chance to lots on that road. Breakfast at Satara. H14 North to Letaba, H16 to Mooiplaas for loo stop, then H14 southwest to Shimuwini. You could go via Masorini to Shimwini but it is longer.

Yes you would have to curtail time at sightings. You could see as much on tar roads as on dirt roads.

We have driven from Shimuwini to Malelane, leaving at 6am, in a day exiting in time to drive to Jo'burg!

We have also done Talamati to Shingwedzi in a day.

Good travelling :gflower:
umtali1

2013 Mokala and KNP http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.

"Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP TR's in progress

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:51 am

Taking mainly the dirt roads which I know you have a preference for its about 180kms excluding any detours into Olifants or Letaba camps for a break, so a long day by all accounts taking in sightings stoppages etc.
but if you leave Talamati more or less at gate opening it will be fine.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

angiek

Unread postby angiek » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:36 am

We spent 4 nigtths here last week and really enjoyed our stay. Shine is still in camp and was not taking much weight bearing on her right back leg :(
There was a mommy hippo in the water in front of our chalet for 2 days with baby often resting on her back. Crocodiles tried to get hold of a waterbuck running through water on way to sandspit to sleep (luckily not caught) and we didn't see them venture that way for the rest of the time we were in camp. No other big game at water that we saw during our stay.
Will hopefully be back here again one day.

MR1980

Unread postby MR1980 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:54 pm

Looking forward to a relaxed 2-night stay at Shimuwini after we've spent the long weekend at Satara this coming June. It will be our first stay at this camp so if there are any do's and don'ts in and around camp I would love to hear them. From what I hear sightings around camp are limited so we will probably spent most of the time in camp near our chalet or in the bird hides. Although I've also heard about several sightings of wild dogs and leopard in the early morning on the access road to the camp... Of course I know it's usually luck and being at the right place at the right time but I'm always keen to help luck a bit.

What would you do if you had 2 nights at Shimuwini?

Thanks in advance! Cheers,

Michel
© Michel Rademaker Photography On Facebook

10, 11 & 12 June - Lower Sabie Rest Camp
13, 14 & 15 June - Satara Rest Camp
16 & 17 June - Shimuwini Bushveld Camp
18 & 19 June - Berg-en Dal Rest Camp

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon May 04, 2015 7:44 am

MR1980 wrote:What would you do if you had 2 nights at Shimuwini?

I would travel the roads to Mopani and Letaba and relax on the stoep. We have seen elephant, waterbuck and impala in the river, also crocodiles and hippos :D . And many water birds. The scenery of nature is also first class.

Shimuwini is a very pleasant bushveld camp. Visitors do see now and then black mamba there. I saw a photo on facebook of a rather big black mamba on the stoep of one of the huts. Fortunately the glass door was closed. The person said the brave staff captured the mamba and relocated it in the veldt.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Comberton near Cambridge UK ...2015 trip to SanParks completed

Unread postby umtali1 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:31 am

When we've had two nights at Shimuwini we have often just chilled out in the camp, being entertained by anything that comes to the river. We choose this camp often just to have some quiet after a lot of traveling ......big sigh!
umtali1

2013 Mokala and KNP http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.

"Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP TR's in progress

Boslaaitie

Unread postby Boslaaitie » Tue May 26, 2015 12:52 pm

Good day.

almost time for kruger again. would just like to find out, which GC5 bangalow would you prevere?
i don't wary about the hide and so on. would like n bangalow with a nice view of the dam and maby a tree cloce by.

thanx alot

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby George_Brits » Tue May 26, 2015 2:10 pm

Boslaaitie wrote:Good day.

almost time for kruger again. would just like to find out, which GC5 bangalow would you prevere?
i don't wary about the hide and so on. would like n bangalow with a nice view of the dam and maby a tree cloce by.

thanx alot

Hi Boslaaitie,

All the bungalows do have a nice view, but I love nr 10 and 8 as its in the middle of the camp. Each person will probably have a different preference as to which unit they favour.

Please post your trip report under this thread and make us all jealous!

Have a safe trip and enjoy your stay.

rodgerh
Guru
Guru

Unread postby rodgerh » Sat May 30, 2015 9:33 pm

Hi great people,30/05/2015,Shimuwini Bush Camp,if eneyone can remember from Shimuwini,I was working there from 98 to 2006,I also left a picture at reception just to remember me,
download/file.php?mode=view&id=2475

I was so happy meeting Thomas,Busi and Phinias at Shimuwini

P1090186.JPG
This is a picture am talking about,to remember Rodger at Shimuwin,now am Tsendze Rustic campsite,the picture is at receotion on the wall
P1090186.JPG (32.01 KiB) Viewed 81 times
bush cam,here are the uther pictures from me Rodgerhhttp://www.sanparks.org/forums/d ... ew&id=2478
Attachments
P1080978.JPG
That is me with a green T-shirt Rodgerh & Alfons
P1080978.JPG (54.04 KiB) Viewed 80 times
P1090244.JPG
I really like this place
P1090261.JPG
I was here with Frank and Brenda
P1090251.JPG
P1090251.JPG (98.03 KiB) Viewed 83 times
P1090225.JPG
P1090225.JPG (80.85 KiB) Viewed 83 times
P1090230.JPG
P1090244.JPG
P1090213.JPG
Last edited by rodgerh on Sat May 30, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO BABOONS AND VERVET MONKEYS AT TSENDZE RUSTIC CAMPSITE,ONLY OWLS IN THE CAMPSITE,AFRICAN SCOPS AND BARRED OWLETS, ,[rodgerh]H stand for Hobyane,full names Rodgers Hobyane :)

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sat May 30, 2015 9:49 pm

I remember you from Shimuwini Rodger!

We stayed there and Frank was there too. He took us on a walk. Shine was also there.

And I remember you. You came around to our cottage in the evening to make sure everything was fine and ask if you could do anything. Already, you were offering great service to customers! :clap: :clap:
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”