Skip to Content

Shimuwini Bushveld Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Rooies » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:30 pm

We stayed at Shimuwini 23-28 Dec 1999.
I would definitely not stay there again during the summer months.
The camp manager at that time, was Frank Watts, who confirmed that the temperature rose to 42* Celsius every day for 5 days in a row.
With no aircons.and only ceiling fans, It made it impossible to sleep inside the bungalow at night.
We had to carry our beds outside and sleep under the stars.
But perhaps we got the climate at it's worst.
What was more terrible than the temperature, were the stink beetles which came out night, literally millions of them.
They were attracted by the light and if you step on them, they gave off the most horrible stench.
We used 2 cans of insect killers and swept them out of the bungalow by the bucketful.
The stench even penetrated our leg of lamb that we were supposed to have for Xmas.

From what I understood from Frank was the bungalows were sponsored by big overseas companies and they could design the bungalows (within certain parameters).
Apparently they have the right of occupation for a period of 30 days per year.

Regarding the duiker, Frank told us that he picked it up in the veld after it's mother deserted it.
I do not think that it will survive in the veld, for obvious reasons.
By feeding it will not make matters worse for the animal.
The situation is unfortunately that the duiker is there for keeps.

Frank was a very likeable man.
We could sit and listen to him for hours around the campfire, especially when he told us about the funny encounters he had with the animals.
One day we asked him as to what time the gate closes.
He said "man, if you arrive at the gate and it is closed, you just open it and close it after you have entered.
I will lock it at 22h00"
Obviously we did not take liberties but you get those situations where have great sighting minutes before closing time.

wilmaw

Re: Shimuwini Bushveld Camp

Unread postby wilmaw » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:57 pm

We spent 3 nights at Shimuwini last week... loved it!
We stayed in #10 which seems to be frequented by a "tame/begging" crested Barbet.
We met Shine (duiker) and she's lovely... she even let us stroke her.

They are busy with a new lapa (looks almost finished) near the middle of the camp and it has a small swimming pool - we didn't need it but from what I read here it will be welcome in summer.

We enjoyed listening to the hippos at night, saw lots of birds in camp as well as tracks.
Mmmm interesting.
Some of the staff confirmed the small cat like spoor as civet.
We didn't see them - I assume they wait until all is quiet.
We did see scrub hares in the evenings, hopping across the lawns in front of the units.
The most interesting spoor however was next to the back fence (near the "old" smaller lapa) - on the inside! - of a leopard.
So... stay near your bungalow at night until they confirm/figure out what to do about it, is my advice!

We had an incredible sighting the one morning around 7am.
A mere 800m from the camp gate, 2 adult leopards crossed the road in front of our car!
They walked into the bush and we lost sight of them but we hung around for a while and then heard them (what we think was) mating.
So maybe there'll be some cubs in a few months' time!

Another highlight there for me was the huuuuuge baobab tree nearby.
I wonder if anyone can estimate the age? I would estimate about 19m in circumference which should equate to about 3000 years?
Just looking up into the branches and trying to comprehend its age blew me away.

We discovered that there is a hyena den just to the north of where the Shimuwini dirt road meets the tar. You'll see the culvert on your right, less than 100m from the junction.
There were a few youngsters including one with a horrelpoot (deformed front leg) - not sure how long (s)he's going to last because already seems to be at the bottom of the hierarchy.
There was a small baby (still brown) the previous evening but upon returning on the morning it seemed to have gone.
The (mother?) called at the culvert and all of the clan were outside but no sign of the little one.

wilmaw

Unread postby wilmaw » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:51 pm

The pool

View from #10

And to the left

wilmaw

Unread postby wilmaw » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:07 pm

Shine's toes!

Beggar

wilmaw

Unread postby wilmaw » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:11 pm

I see the baobab's here already. But, different season... (love it so want to show it again!)

wilmaw

Unread postby wilmaw » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:33 pm

Can you tell me more precisely where this is located?

Red dot marks the spot! It's more of a splash pool... not sure it will generate too much noise? (talking about noise it was bliss when the generator (and fridge) went off each night)

How do you get the "quote" to include the poster's name?

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby anne-marie » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:40 am

here you are:

bungalow nr 9
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

Lindacd

Unread postby Lindacd » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:30 am

I was lucky enough to stay at Shimuwini from the 20th to the 22nd August and have the most wonderful time. One of the highlights was a morning walk with Godfrey and the manager Portia. They were brilliant guides and talked about the plants and insects as well as the animals. It was such a privilege to be there and I can't wait to go back.
We had two cottages, 7 and 8 and they were both lovely. The new pool is still under construction but I am looking forward to using it on my next visit.
Linda

alf

Unread postby alf » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:15 am

Hi Anne-marie,

Can you tell me if the GC5 Cottages can be accessed by the mobility challenged?
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby anne-marie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:22 am

I Alf
I was in nr 9, so nr 5 is not far away, on the same way.
If I remember right, is the same, one step to "climb" to the terrace
and in front, to the river, a little bit sloping.
Inside there are kitchen-lounge, bathroom and a bedroom, and another bedroom at the 1st stair. Two big (all the wall) windows (lounge and bedroom) opened on the "wild" (with mosquito-net) and a lot of windows to make draught... (running-air)
a delight :D
it's a torture to remember all this :mrgreen:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

phiandre

Unread postby phiandre » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:30 pm

The fridge at the bungalows, do it have enough space for a weeks meat?

Previous visits at Kruger - the fridges were very small - is these ones larger?

Mgoddard
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mgoddard » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:38 am

There are communal freezers at Shimuwini where you can keep your meat.
Its shared with all other visitors, but with it being such a small camp you should not have a problem.
The freezers have baskets inside with the bungalow number.
Depends on how much meat you are talking about :D
These freezers are located in a little building as you enter the gate... :D

alf

Re: Boma's at Shimuwini

Unread postby alf » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:09 pm

I think this is the new pool area.
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

far2000

Unread postby far2000 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:05 pm

The sunrises are just awesome over Shimuwini..

ImageLarge

ImageLarge
Last edited by Elsa on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pics resized.

far2000

Shimuwini After a 1 night stay

Unread postby far2000 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:50 pm

I am just back from a wonderful Easter weekend getaway in Kruger and stayed 1 night at Shimuwini Bush Camp and 1 Night at Mopane Camp..

During the past i have stayed in Berg en dal, Skukuza , Mopani and Letaba, and just have to say that my night at Shimuwini was the best and most unforgettable stay ever at Shimuwini..

The last 11km drive 2 the camp from the main road is gravel, and can be a bit irritating, especially when u driving a low Mazda 6 with 4 passengers and a Boot 2 put a Boeing 737 to shame.
Don't get me wrong, most cars should make it comfortable and any irritation would be made up very quickly..

There is also a resident female leopard that currently has cubs, from what the local Ranger told me..
The staff are very friendly, well, actually all Kruger camp staff are friendly, in my last 10years of going there I have never had a problem with staff...

The entrance 2 Shimuwini, is, well, basic, nothing to shout about at reception either, but don't let that affect you, the chalet more than makes up for all that..there is no shop, so stock up in advance, they do have a large freezer room, but never needed it as the fridge,freezer in the chalet suited me fine...there is a stove and all utensils as well..we had electricity whole day and night during our stay..

I was told, that one of the largest Black mambas was caught at the camp, and its skin is on display at reception, scary i tell you.. :sniper: ...
Watch out for snakes....they full, but i guess they everywhere in Kruger...

The chalets are awesome, I stayed in number 7, whichI would say is perfect, as you in the middle, of a tottal of 15 chalets, u get to look at the middle of the dam and the hide is juts on the left, I felt much safer seeing passers by walking looking at the dam from the electrified fence...oh yes, plz don't touch the fence unless u want a Johnny Bravo bad hair day.....

from the veranda / braai area you have the perfect view of the river, and the animals coming for a drink...Hippos are full...only saw 1 croc but im sure there were more...

the bird hide is fantastic, and brings u closer to the river.

the resident duiker is very cute as well, me and SO patted it, very tame as well..hope its not a crime feeding it :redface: ...IT WASNT ME.....

chalet 7 had 1 room with 3 beds, and 1 room with a double bed...main bedroom had an ensuite, while there is separate toilet/bath and separate toilet and separate shower....

the sounds at night were just awesome....made me want 2 get up and take a walk at 4.30am, which me and SO did.
Nothing beats watching sunrise having a hot coffee and a biscuit.. :D ...

it was awesome watching the hippos come out, laze on the grass, also saw a single wildebeest come and drink water..was hoping for a croc kill, but hey, we cant have everything go your way now can it... :naughty: ....

here are the pics that I have taken , and hope this summary and pics will be of use 2 fellow forumites..:

My Chalet:
ImageLarge

ImageLarge

View from the Veranda:
ImageLarge

Hippos relaxing....taken from the fence, just below the chalets:
ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge
Last edited by Elsa on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pics resized.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”