Skip to Content

Cats around Shingwedzi

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Umar_Daya

Cats around Shingwedzi

Unread postby Umar_Daya » Mon May 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi fellow forumites!
I am planning a trip to Shingwedzi soon and wanted to find out recommendations on hotspots for cats, also which roads have yielded success at which times and residents that I should keep an eye out for? Any information will be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Cats around Shingwedzi

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon May 04, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi Umar_Daya :D . We have seen leopard on different occasions on the Kanniedood dam route. Also on the Red Rocks route but not as often. We have seen lions near Babalala picnic spot and around Punda Maria. We once had a good sighting of a caracal near Pafuri picnic spot. We have not seen cats during each visit to the Shingwedzi area as in central or southern Kruger where the probability of seeing cats are higher in our experience.

May you enjoy your trip and I hope you will have good sightings :thumbs_up: :cam:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

RayK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RayK » Mon May 04, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi Umar_Daya,
Wow...Grantmissy has has seen quite a few Cats in the Shingwedzi area. My experience is the opposite but I'm not complaining. Although I've yet to see a Cat this is still one of my favorite Camps. Good luck with your sightings and pass on your experience to us. :)

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon May 04, 2015 3:29 pm

Rayk cats we see more often in the central and southern Kruger areas. Particularly the Orpen/Satara/Lower-Sabie areas for us. The sightings of cats that we had in the Shingwedzi area were not many over the years, but we did see some lions and leopards. Never cheetahs though :hmz: I guess it is being in the right place at the right time. It is also one of our favourite Camps in the Kruger :D . It would be nice to read of the experiences of other forum members regarding cat sightings in that area :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby flying cheetah » Mon May 04, 2015 3:56 pm

I saw one leopard on the Loop around Shingwedzi and had one of my best lion sightings on the S 50 a few years back. Two more lions on this road.
Once there were 3 lions in the riverbed at the restaurant but I thought I should finish my meal before I take a look. As soon as I was ready the lions were chased away by an Elephant :big_eyes:
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

BerkiSA

Unread postby BerkiSA » Mon May 04, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi All

I have stayed 80% of the time in the southern and central regions which needs to be put in perspective to my cat sightings.

I have seen Lion twice between Mopani and Shings, once between shings and punda and then once by Punda.

I have seen leopard at all spots.

Cheetah by Kanniedood dam (although it was in 2009!).

BTW had the pleasure of seeing a Rhino in the area as well!

Basically, i would definitely say that Cat sightings are far less common in the north. However, that is made up for by below:

- more wild areas
- dirt roads
- less people
- more rustic feel
- hyena sightings
- big tusker sightings
- big buffalo and elephant herds

I definitely i have soft spot for the north
BerkiSA

NEXT TRIP:

Mopani
Punda Maria
Bataleur
Olifants
Orpen
Talamati
Pretoriuskop
Berg en Dal
Lower Sabie

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║
© MΛDЄ IИ SOUTH ΛFЯICΛ ®

harrys
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby harrys » Mon May 04, 2015 8:53 pm

We saw Lions on the Kanniedood dam road and Leopards and Cheetahs(once in Dec 2012).

Good luck with the cats :mrgreen: :thumbs_up:
Say NO to hotels in KNP!!!

Golden Gate: 15 to 20 November 2015

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leaping Lizards » Tue May 05, 2015 8:37 am

Hi there Umar_Daya

I went north for the first time last year September (2014). Spent 3 days in this area (Sirheni) and at the time, Lions were very active around the Babalala picnic spot and Leopards on the river loops along the Shingwedzi River, north of the camp.

Enjoy
September - Orpen, Talamati and Satara :P

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Tue May 05, 2015 12:41 pm

About 2 years ago after staying at Bataleur camp we were extremely lucky to have a double Leopard sighting on the S52 and then another Leopard just after joining the tar road all on the same morning! 8)
But really right place right time!
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

PRWIN

Unread postby PRWIN » Tue May 05, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi Umar,

I am not sure if your soon will be sooner than my visit in 8 weeks time, but if before remember to give us some feedback. You should be able to spot all the big cats around Shingwedzi within a weeks time and maybe one on each day.

We had a cheetah sighting outside the gate on the way to the airfield. The airfield makes good hunting ground for cheetah. Last visit was a year back so maybe not that relevant now but may help. Saw a mum with 4 teenage cubs near Shipirivirhi water hole on the tar road 1 km after spotting 3 lions (H1-6).

Good chance to see leopard near Red rocks and lions along S56. My first amazing lion sighting on a zebra kill was near the s56 turn-off, but that was many years ago. First saw a large pack of hyeanas of nearly 20 animals sitting around and then we got to the lions feasting. Three hours hyaenas tried their luck but were chased away until most of the zebra was consumed.

Leopards are also frequently seen along S50 but had no luck so far. If you miss them be sure you will see lots of elephant and water birds.

:thumbs_up:

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby richardharris » Wed May 06, 2015 12:55 am

Never knock the north! Had plenty of amazing sightings over the years and my last trip (November last year) was amazing; two large prides in the Shingwedzi area and a lion kill in the Shingwedzi river being fought over by crocs, vultures, jackal and lion! Even watched a male give a full-blooded roar very early in the morning - awe-inspiring!

Plenty of leopard around (a friend very recently at Shingwedzi saw one every day for 5 days!), cheetah (though seen more around Punda and Parfuri - including an amazing family of 7) and one very memorable morning when the dogs took over - a large pack of wild dog running down to the river.

And as has been mentioned, elephant, buffalo - and birds!!

And not to forget the rare antelope.

Its all up north!

Richard

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed May 06, 2015 7:24 am

richardharris wrote:Its all up north!

:) The Northern part is a very special area of the Kruger National Park. We “go slow” there, relax and enjoy the peace and tranquility 8)

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Wed May 06, 2015 10:31 am

We once saw a beautiful leopard near the Shing causeway.

Also lions right near Shing camp on several occasions, and near Red Rocks.

Cheetah near Mopani, and also near Pafuri in the past.

Hope you are successful with the kitties Umar................but even if you are not, I am sure you will still enjoy your trip........the north is fabulous!!! :clap: :clap:

Make sure you check out the rarer antelope..........Roan, Tsessebe, Lichstenstein's Hartebeest!!!! :whistle:
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Virtual Potjie Competition for VHR Far School's Project

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby George_Brits » Wed May 06, 2015 10:41 am

I found cheetah a few times on the capricorn loop near Mopani

You have to include Redrocks and Kanniedood on your "to drive" list

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Wed May 06, 2015 12:12 pm

We've seen lions stalking buffalo on the far bank of the river across the S50, 4 lionesses on the main road by the Jaoa waterhole and a serval on the main road just north of the bridge.

Further afield, we've been more successful with cheetah in the north than in the central and southern areas, with the count standing at 10. These were mainly around the Punda Maria area though.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”