Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Oumie » Thu May 11, 2006 9:26 am

Photo of Phabeni Gate

Storms river 11/10/15 - 12/10/15
Addo 13/10/15 - 15/10/15
mountain Zebra 16/10/15 - 18/10/15
Camdeboo 19/10/15 - 20/10/15

Reservation made for April and May and June 8)

kathy sa
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kathy sa » Sat May 13, 2006 3:33 pm

We came in the Phabeni gate last month and thought it was great.
The people were friendly and we saw lots on the tarred road..Buffalo, Black Stork and Elephant within the first half an hour.
We were also pleased to be in the park sooner than if we had gone along the long road to Kruger Gate!

KNP Spokesman
Guru
Guru

Unread postby KNP Spokesman » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:33 am

MaroelaMan wrote:I know that compliments etc. go elsewhere on the forum, but I am posting it here anyway!
Was in the Kruger area yesterday on a business trip, and decided to spend 2 hours in the park, entering at Phabeni gate.
Sharrell Ngomane, greeted me with the biggest and friendliest smile that made my day! So hats off to you Sharrell and Phabeni gate!!! :D

Hi MaroelaMan

Thanks for the feedback.
I just happened to spot this and will certainly pass on your comments to Sharrell and everyone else that should hear this - it certainly makes a difference when we hear that guests really appreciate our efforts.

Just on this subject, a short history of Phabeni Entrance Gate:

After the floods that caused so much damage in 2001, many facilities in Kruger needed repair.

It was also shown that Skukuza was nearly cut off by the floods.
Paul Kruger bridge under water, the road bridge at Hoxanne near Mkhuhlu (on the road between Hazyview and Kruger Gate/Skukuza) washed away and the approaches to Skukuza via Lower Sabie and Satara (H4-1 and H1-2) were also impassable due to the rising of the Sabie River.
The only road route in and out of Skukuza was due south on the H1 - 1 and then H3 via Afsaal and Malelane.

Compounding the matter was the fact that the bridge at De Laporte Windmill was also very close to being washed away (you can still see signs of the extensive repairs and strengthening).
The S114 was also impassable because of a low water bridge that you get to on the way to Renosterkoppies Dam.
In other words, Skukuza was on tender-hooks and the ONLY way in and out was over the river at De Laporte.
Had that bridge washed away, the only way to resupply Skukuza would have been by helicopter!

The South African Government came to Kruger's assistance at that time and funding was granted to repair what had been damaged.

The idea for an entrance gate was on the table at the time but the floods graphically showed KNP management that a gate at Phabeni might be the answer as an alternative to totally cutting off Skukuza.

Funds were made available and work started on the gate at around that time.
The gate was officially opened in December 2002.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman
Kruger National Park
110 Years of Conservation Success - Now isn't that worthy of a Celebration!

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:51 am

Thanks for this most interesting historical background, KNP Spokesman 8)
It's really interesting to know why Phabeni was chosen as the site for a new gate.

I must also add that I also had an excellent experience when I used Phabeni for my grocery run to Hazyview on 4 May 2006.
My passage out and back in was a breeze, with a great welcome each way.
I also stopped on my return to have a look around and was most impressed by the extremely attractive reception area, as well as the gardens outside.
And the staff on duty (I didn't note their names, unfortunately :redface:) were both extremely professional and wonderfully welcoming.
For anyone entering KNP here, these gentlemen would be sending them on their way in the best possible frame of mind!
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

KNP Spokesman
Guru
Guru

Unread postby KNP Spokesman » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:09 am

Johann wrote:
KNP Spokesman wrote:The idea for an entrance gate was on the table at the time but the floods graphically showed KNP management that a gate at Phabeni might be the answer as an alternative to totally cutting off Skukuza.

I hear what you are saying KNPSM but have my doubts :wink:
Went to KNP a few times last year and I remember not being able to enter at Phabeni due to the bridge being completely underwater.
Think it was during the trip to Satara beginning of March.
Somebody's caravan even got thrown off the bridge by the water's force according to one of the gate staff members when I phoned for an update. (Had been raining for a week or so)
The water at Kruger gate was flowing wildly but not close to the top of the bridge yet.
The water from the N'waswitshaka going towards Skukuza was very close to bridge level but not quite there yet.
The bridge on the H1-2 over the Sabie was also closed down.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but the bridge at Phabeni (first one when you've entered) is very low, the lowest in the area I think.
So how come that would be the only safe alternative left if everything else is closed?
Surely that would be the first one to be closed?

Please don't misunderstand me, I love the gate and the S3 up to Kruger gate is one of my favourite roads. Just asking that if this was suppose to be an alternative or emergency entrance/exit to Skukuza why the bridge wasn't built any higher then?

Hi Johann

I can get the exact elevations of the various bridges for you, but I am pretty sure the Phabenispruit is higher than the Sabie River, as it is a tributary to the Sabie River (using the principle of "river flows downhill").
If a large amount of rainfall does fall in the catchment area of the Phabenispruit, it stands to reason that there will be problems, but we feel that the chances of this happening are fewer than the chances of the Sabie River coming down in flood and, perhaps more importantly, cutting the three key bridges away.
The simple reason for this is that the catchment area of the Sabie River is SO much bigger than the catchment area of its tributary Phabenispruit.
Because of the higher elevation, a Phabenispruit flood will also clear quicker than a Sabie River flood, enabling us to open it before (say - and touch wood it never happens again) the river washes away the Paul Kruger bridge.
It just so happens that at that particular time (I remember it pretty well) the Phabenispruit did come down, causing problems but we don't think this is going to happen every flood, simply because of the elevation of the land.
With rivers and bridges, I guess it is always a gamble as to what to do as nature has a tendency to throw a curved ball every now and then (remember the Laingsburg flood, and various other examples), but if you look at a relief map of the area, the Phabeni - Doispane route is definitely higher than the Hazyview - Skukuza route which certainly makes sense as an alternative.
And now there is always the question of whether to build a full size bridge (a la Paul Kruger Gate, Malelane etc) or whether to build a low water bridge (a la Croc Bridge, Phabeni etc) and the guiding principle is usually budget (but is often environmental considerations).
We are not saying Johann that the problem will disappear completely, but what we are saying is that the Phabeni route might be Skukuza's trump card the next time a flood of the scale of 2001 comes down.

Hope this clarifies.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman
Kruger National Park

bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bucky » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:16 am

Makes sense to me , I suppose that to build a bridge over the phabeni spreit would be pretty easy also , being a small non perenial river.

Johann
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Johann » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:33 pm

Thanks meneer.
That sounds like a good enough reason :lol: and explains a lot.
When driving around there you think everything is at the same level.
Suppose you don't realise the lay of the land. :)

We just have to hope it clears before the others every time.
But don't think I'll mind too much if I get stuck in the Park.
Good excuse to stay away from work. :lol:
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:34 pm

Just to stir the pot here (and for historical accuracy :wink:), wasn't that catastrophic flood in 2000, not 2001? :? I was in KNP in July/August 2000 and there were still closed roads and a lot of evidence of flood damage.
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

KNP Spokesman
Guru
Guru

Unread postby KNP Spokesman » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:29 pm

Elsa wrote:Yes, the big flood was in February 2000, in fact I remember seeing the news on the night of my birthday, that chaos was reigning in the park to coin a pun!!! :roll:

Hi Everyone

You are all 100%.
It was 2000! My mistake :redface: ,
I always get confused.
When I look back on the flood era, it was all a mad rush :shock: .
I was a journalist then at a local newspaper and I remember going to cover a rescue attempt on a river nearby the Riverside Mall in Nelspruit.
I had just had a foot operation so I was on crutches :cry: .
My camera also got drenched and it needed a new chip.

And it was because of that operation on my foot (February 2, 2000) that I couldn't go to Mozambique to cover the story there :twisted: .
I got to do the follow up stories on Kruger 8) , the human interest stories like how five families lived in one home and how the church became a dormitory.
I also interviewed various ecologists about the effects of a flood on the ecology which was absolutely amazing.

Anyway, amazing memories for me.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman
Kruger National Park

Bartman

Gate entry - Phabeni

Unread postby Bartman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Hey mites

We will be day visitors into KNP through Phabeni gate as from Sat.
Last year we were able to queue at the boom in our car and swipe our Wild card as we went through etc.
In 2009 we had to park, and join the queue at the office and pay etc then get back into the car and drive through the boom.

Whats the latest method in 2011?
Don't want to waste time standing in a queue when it's not necessary.
6th July - Satara
7&8th July - Letaba
9th to 17th July Skukuza

BerkiSA

Re: Gate entry - Phabeni

Unread postby BerkiSA » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi Bartman,

Was there in August and you have to stop and check in by the gate.

Enjoy!
BerkiSA

NEXT TRIP:

Mopani
Punda Maria
Bataleur
Olifants
Orpen
Talamati
Pretoriuskop
Berg en Dal
Lower Sabie

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║
© MΛDЄ IИ SOUTH ΛFЯICΛ ®

Shushin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Phabeni Gate

Unread postby Shushin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Hey all :D My brain has been working overtime and it's beginning to hurt :wall:

After realising :doh: how long it will take me from Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport to get to Letaba. I have changed 1 night for Skukuza. Then we will drive up refreshed the next day. My question is which is the best gate Phabeni? and how far is it from the airport to the gate. Keep finding conflicting distances.

PS I also need to shop any ideas?
May 2014
3 Skukuza
4-6 Letaba
7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:03 pm

The nearest gate to KMIA is either Numbi or Malelane. If you need to shop then I would say Malelane or pop into Hazyview and then yes, Phabeni or Paul Kruger gates would be best.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:53 pm

Shushin, there is also a good Topic Here with great advice on distances, gates etc from KMIA.

Depending on which gate you decide on, shopping can be done at the nearest centre.
Malelane gate, - Malelane Spar or P n Pay
Phabeni - Hazyview
Numbi - White River.

but more on shopping Here
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”