Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bateleur Bushveld Camp
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:04 am 

Not all the bungalows have a bird bath so it might be best to request one that has, if you really want one.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:21 pm 
If your are booked in a 4-sleeper, request #6…the best 6 sleeper IMHO is #7…both these units have sort of a view towards the riverbed (others not)
#6 has a birdbath that is VERY popular among the birds (in the shade) ….in December, treat the birds a bit by adding ice to the water.
A very nice sighting we had here during our last visit, was the Greater Honeyguide (and from other reports on this forum, it appears to be a regular).

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:22 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

We booked a four sleeper and no 6 sounds excellent.
Will regularly add ice to the bird baths.
Might add some to my own come to think of it ....

We're very much looking forward to see the birds in December.
Foeke hopes we will get thunderstorms, he's never experienced an African thunderstorm. (we both love thunderstorms)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:05 pm 

BTW We also stayed in No. 6 and same as well as the bird bath there are highly recommendable. :thumbs_up:

The staff is very friendly and I am sure when you request for that unit, Gwendolen, you will get it :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:31 am 

gwendolen wrote:
Will regularly add ice to the bird baths. Might add some to my own come to think of it ....

That's where Bateleur comes into it own, air-con in the bedroom.

gwendolen wrote:
We're very much looking forward to see the birds in December. Foeke hopes we will get thunderstorms, he's never experienced an African thunderstorm. (we both love thunderstorms)

Hmm... we were there in 2008/9. Apparently the access road was pretty bad after 3 days of afternoon thunderstorms and they had to rescue a couple of guests. You might get stuck...
:lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

When we were staying in Bateleur in July this year, the Camp Manager was inspecting each building with an official from HQ.
They noted how well the camp was cleaned, the condition of the furniture and fittings, checked if everything was working correctly and made sure that all utensils, kitchen equipment etc. was in place.
They made notes on the condition of the kitchen units and worktops and asked us our views of the camp, facilities and staff.
They were very thorough in what they checked, even moving the fridge to check behind.

I got the impression that they were compiling a list for carrying out maintenance work, so hopefully any repairs that may be required are already in the pipeline to be attended to?

A Birder's Eye View of Kruger

Post subject: Re: Bataleur Bushveld Camp
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi mvtm
You can fax the camp on 013 735 6843, BUT I have found in the past they don't always get the fax. The best is to phone and ask for Lazarus.
ENJOY and let us know what it looks like there!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:47 pm 

We recently returned from Swempie. No 7.
The unit has been upgraded and the cupboards sports new doors. We found everything in order with good housekeeping and not one single monkey or baboon in sight, what a rare enjoyment.
Beware of the spider, inside the second bathroom’s shower curtain and
the big scorpion with a bad attitude staying on the left of the chalet where you park.
Take a light at night. Please dont kill them.
Stayed 3 nights, should have been 7.
Lazarus and team - Philip and Michel, thank you for being the perfect hosts.
We will be back, asap.

Annelie.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:13 pm 

I have to get my pictures back. I don't carry currently with me. Here are a very few. I owe you the others. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:07 pm 

Bateleur Camp is situated in Woodlands Section and is the only Kruger camp there. Large forests of Mopani, Leadwood and Apple leaf trees with good quality grasses.

To my mind the best section in Kruger and Bateleur is great with only having 7 huts and is far enough away from Shingwedzi crowds to spoil one's photography early in the morning when I took this young Waterbuck

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:11 pm 

We spent 4 nights at Bateleur and loved it as always.
The kitchens have been upgraded and Lazarus is very very proud of the new verandah furniture which arrived while we were staying there (unfortunately, the consensus from our group was that it was far less comfortable and took up too much space so we much preferred the old furniture!).
Steven was amazing in organising the TV to be put on in the large screen conference centre for the one cricket mad member of our party - thus enabling her to see Kallis's 200 (finally!).

One drawback - which I suspect is a consequence of the rangers and that the the camp itself can do very little about - is that the majority of the road that you used to be able to use to sit by Rooiborant has been closed off, leaving only a tiny circle, mostly surrounded by quite high bushes.
This isn't adequate for more than 2 cars and gives you a very very limited view of the dam, sunsets etc.
As a result we only drove there once instead of spending much of our time there as we have done in the past - it just wasn't worth it and, may impact on our decisions about whether we will again go to Bateleur or not.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:54 am 

Bateleur Bush Camp by gwendolen, on Flickr

Here's a photo of the bird bath at no 6. I don't have any good photos of the bungalow, sorry.

As you can see we didn't have a view to the dam due to the growth of the shrubs and trees. But there wasn't any water in the dam, it was bone dry and had been for many many months.

Poor Lazarus was desperate for some rain. I really hope they got some water after we left. Apparently Bateleur is located in an arid pocket and gets very little rainfall.

Post subject: Re: Bateleur Camp - Mashokwe Spruit
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:16 pm 

Hi Von,

We have been going to Bateleur for 20 odd years always in Sept/Oct. Have never seen water in the Mashokwe!!

We are at Bateleur from 24 - 27 October. Can't wait.
See you there.

Ken

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We would probably book a GC6, of which I gather there are only three, Units 1, 4 and 7.

From reading the thread, 7 seems to be the most popular because it has a view into the veld.

What are number's 4 and 1 like?
Do they have any special features that make them more desirable? For example, especially isolated and cant see neighbours?
Or beautiful shady trees?
How close is number 1 to the hide?
Is it visible from the hide and vice versa?
Also, I see MVM mentioned that they could clearly see unit 6 at night from number 7....how close are the units to each other?

Would also love to hear about your experiences at this camp if they haven't been recorded here... looking forward to your responses...feel like a little kid making these plans....only Kruger can do that.

:D

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:59 pm 

Hi Bushmad,
December last year, we couldn’t see the fence from no 7 due to the tall grass and trees.
We preferred it because of the privacy it offers from the people walking along the fence.
And the river was dry.
We never saw another human and all the units were occupied
There’s a bench at the end of the path that’s perfect, at night, to sit and listen.
Yes you can see number six’s side and you’ll be able to see the visitors’ park and getting out of their vehicle if you’re outside but that’s about it.
You cannot see onto the veranda of number 6 from number 7.
We found the units at Bateleur much more private than those at Sirheni.
Hope that helped a bit and that your other questions are answered.
(No2 looked great?
Plan to request unit 2 next time if it’s only SO and me.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next