Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Please can someone give me a quick answer....I have 1 night booked at Talamati..GC6...now just saw on web that GC6D is available...what is the difference between the 2 and which is the better.....would like to change and add a night here....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:04 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

In GC6D one bedroom has a double bed, in GC6 they are all singles.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:10 pm 

Hi Forumities,

just a short question regarding the cottages at Talamati. Does each Cottage has got it's own Braai facility???

Talamati has got it's own reception, right???

Thanks in advance for your help.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Correct, Pumbaa, te only funny thing is that the units face each other, not like at Biyamiti where they face the river.

Go on a night ride from T, you often see unusual animals.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Talamati has a hide overlooking a waterhole. Serval are regularly sighted on night rides. The game seems to be a bit sparse but have also seen lion, rhino, ele, AWC, civet, & friends also saw honey badger & sable near Fairfax waterhole on the same trip as us.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:08 am 

Hi Talamati Fans

Staying for four nights at Talamati in October. Do any of the chalets have a reasonable view of the dry riverbed, which chalet numbers would that be?
Has anyone been there in October before? what is the game viewing like in the area and what waterholes are worth the visit.
Who is currently managing the camp and does anyone have an e-mail address for the camp manger.
I would appreciate any input and recommendations on how to make the most of our four nights at Talamati.

Can't wait to see Kruger :dance: :lol:

Post subject: Re: Talamati Bushcamp
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:45 am 

mike.vs wrote:
We will be staying at Talamti for the first time and would like to know what the camp is like and if there is any good viewing spots close by

Hi, Talamati is one of the nicest bushveld camps you can ever stay at, I'm going there next week, but unfortunately only for 3 nights, would've loved to stay longer, there is two birdhides, one has got spotlights and the other not, and you can expect to see many ellies having a drink at the borehole that is situated just outside the perimeter fence.

It will be now my 8th time I'm visiting this camp and it will be great to hear your responses on your return! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:13 pm 

Just came back from a 5 night stay at Talamati and it was great.
We had a male lion that was hanging around the camp for 3 of the nights and we often heard him roar.
We also sighted him often from both hides during the day and night.
It was a great experience to see how other animals react when the lion appeared out of the bush to come for a drink at the waterhole.
Even a herd of elephants decided to leave when he arrived.

We also had a wonderful sighting of a cheetah close to Fairfield waterhole and a black rhino just after that!
we also saw a honey badger on 2 occasions.

The camp itself was well kept and i will definitely visit again. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:07 am 

Talamati is situated South-East from Orpen Camp on the S145

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 pm 

Home after a superb trip to the Kruger in early August.
Were lucky to see so many interesting things and had two nights at Tal.
We also saw honey badgers, sable, rhino and elephants there but most amazing for me was seeing three wild dogs run down to the Fairfield waterhole to scatter a herd of sable and try to take a young one.
Absolutely fascinating to see the defense behaviour of these beautiful antelope; strangely a large group of wildebeest ran off at the dogs arrival to come back after about ten minutes in a wide phalanx and chase the dogs off; took a while but was successfully achieved.
My first sighting of dogs -sixth visit to Kruger in ten years. I was elated!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:21 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Just back from there...

The camp is absolutely stunning. Units 1 - 4 have been updated with new kitchen and bathrooms and floortiles, making it a little more modern yet keeping the Africa feeling.
The area around Fairfield waterhole has been burned recently and looks like a golf lawn now, giving very good sightings. There are abundant lilies and another unnamed flower growing there.
We saw, aside from general game, some roan and sable, Senegal Lapwing, a breeding herd of elephants and little bee-eaters. Plenty of birds around, and if the baboons come up just aim a long lense at them and they flee.

The roads are in very good condition, only a few spots are currogated, just let out your tires a little bit or speed up, and you'll not notice it.

Just as a hint, in the reservationspage you will only find the sunsetdrive. All other activities are possible though, including walks and bushbraai, just call the manager and he'll arrange it.
They did not get the trophee for best camp for 5 years running now...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:17 pm 

The A team spent two nights in this wonderful bushcamp. We stayed in units 1, 2 & 13.

Unit 1 has a lovely view of the (dry) riverbed. It has two bedrooms with twin beds. One bedroom has a bathroom en suite.

The camp has two (bird)hides, the hide opposite reception gets a lot of action. We saw elephants, impala, waterbuck, a [strike]crocodile[/strike].water monitor & lots of birds. And Woodland Kingfishers. Hundreds of them. Waking me up at 4 am. Every morning. I [strike]hate[/strike] love them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:18 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Bungalow #11:

One of the 2 hides:

(Photo's by GP)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We paid a quick two-night visit to Talamati during December 2007.
This was our second visit to this camp.
Herewith just a few general remarks on the camp that might be of interest to future visitors.

Location of Units
We stayed in the “dreaded” unit number 1 this time around.
Yep, the baboons are still sleeping in the trees next to number 1, but we actually thought it was a really nice unit.
Firstly, unit number 1 offers quite a decent view of the riverbed (unlike some of the other units) and is nicely tucked away in the corner of the camp, quite close to the perimeter on both sides.
Despite the fact that it is situated quite close to the reception area, it was still very private in our experience.
Secondly, as far as the baboons are concerned, maybe we were just lucky but they did not give us any trouble and it actually made for quite some fun to see them coming in to sleep at night and going out again early in the morning.
They are apparently still causing trouble though.
According to one of the Sanparks officials the baboons ransacked unit number 8 just the day before we arrived.

We had a nice stroll along the entire perimeter.
IMHO unit 11 (for its privacy) and units 1 and 5 (for its limited view on the riverbed) seems to be the “nicest” from a location perspective.
However, overall I think all the units are basically the same.
They all look great.
None of them offers any clear view of the riverbed from your veranda.
I certainly am not going to bother in future to try and arrange beforehand for a specific unit to be allocated to me in this camp.
We’ll just stick with whatever we get.

Accommodation
We stayed in a two-bedroom guest house.
We did notice some changes (improvements) to the interior furniture since our last visit – especially in the bathrooms.
Generally, our unit was once again well kept and it was an absolute joy to stay there.
However, we did notice that the upholstery of some of the furniture was still in some serious need for replacement.

Service
The manager on duty at the time of our arrival was Patson Makhubele (I think).
Like the last time around, she (and all other Sanparks assistants we dealt with) was very friendly and efficient.

Sightings
Spotting was generally very difficult, given the time of year.
Also, like I mentioned before, it was pouring with rain for most of our stay.
From a birding perspective we did manage to add a few new ones to our short list in the Talamati area, but overall the rain kept them birdies away.
New birding highlights for us in the vicinity of Talamati was the Long-tailed Paradise-Whydah, Eurasian Golden Oriole, Double-banded Sandgrouse, Bennetts Woodpecker, the Red-backed Shrike and lots of Southern Carmine Bee-eaters.

Animal wise, Talamati was good to us again, given the circumstances.
My brother-in-law saw a caracal chasing a small impala on the plains in front of the bird hide at Talamati late on the first evening of our stay.
I didn’t believe him at first, but on our late afternoon drive the next day we saw a caracal trotting over the road just in front of or car just outside Talamati, so I guess I should start believing him now.
We also saw a beautiful male lion the one afternoon just outside the camp (although very far) and two more females with a cub the next morning also just outside the camp (once again very far).
Other than that, we saw plenty of the usual general game (impala, zebra, waterbuck, elephant) on the planes in front of the camp.
Unfortunately no sign of the resident leopard this time around though.

Roads
A lot has been said about the gravel roads around camp.
IMHO the roads around camp were all in a good condition, despite the heavy rainfall at the time.

Overall
We think this is a wonderful bushveld camp and we will definitely be back for more sometime in the future.

Post subject: Re: Talamati
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

davegrohl wrote:
Going to be in Kruger next month ( 8) ) 4 nights Talamati and 2 at LS.
Havent been to Talamati in about 8 years and was wondering if it's still the camp it was.
I remember it being awesome, really quiet with a few great sightinings at the hide (hope its still there).
General game in the area?
I believe that the grasses in that section of the park turn sour in winter and the large game herds move away during these months?

Talamati is still a very special camp...I don't think much has changed..I was there in April.. great sightings..
Leopard and Sable on the S36 the Mondzweni waterhole and the Shimangwneni Dam..
Look out as we were told by the guard at Muzandzeni picnic spot that there are 3 leopards in the area..
2 young ones and a mother.
The S140 from Talamati to Orpen was very badly corrugated :( so I wont give that a try..generally I found the area to be more open that further south...enjoy and have a great time! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next