Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: S118 (Mpambane road) or S121 (Timfenheni loop)
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:19 pm 

I will be staying my 1st night at Bergendal and my 2nd night at Lower sabie and wanted to drive the gravel roads between the 2 camps and not the tar road via Skukuza. Which road would be the best? The S118 or the S121? From there on i will do the S25 to Crocodile bridge and from there the S28 to Lower Sabie. Any place in the area thats interesting that i must stop at? Any other road that anyone would recommend?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Both S25 and S28 are really great roads, alot of people have been spotting cheetah as of late on these roads.

Maybe you can spot Duke and give us all an update. :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:31 pm 

Thanks Dotdan,

Yeah Ive heard about all the nice sighting of cheetah in that area. Has done all those roads around lower sabie end of may in search of Duke but with my bad luck i couldn't find him. I hope he is still alive when i get there. Has spend the last 5 years searching for him and always ended up going home disappointed. Maybe my luck will change this time around. Any other roads that anyone will recommend?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:45 pm 

Hi Alf,
I would definately suggest the S118 compared to the S121. The S118 follows a riverbed (which is predominantely dry but has some pools every now and then) and has been a hit with sightings for me. Have seen 4 of the big 5 plus Wild Dogs on this road. The S121, if I remember correctly, goes through a lot of thickets where sighting ability isnt that great. The S118 road is one of my favourites, and is a must drive on entry at Malelane gate (one of the superstitions I have on entering the park :lol: )

Another suggestion while driving to Lower Sabie, either try taking the S118 and then the S114 up to Skukuza and then down to Lower Sabie on the main road (both roads being very productive for me), or going on the S118 up the S114 doing the Biyamiti loop and then onto the S26 Bume road onto the S108, H5 and then H4-2 up to Lower Sabie. The reason I mention this second route is that I saw a pack of Wild Dogs on the Bume road in May that had a very pregnant female and they could be denning in the area.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck for the sightings, and dont forget the trip report when you get back!!!

Kind regards,
Pat :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:01 pm 

Thanks Patto,

That's a very interesting route that you mentioned. Now i'm in 2 minds. Has heard so many good things about the S25 and S28 but your route follows the rivers more frequently. Maybe one change will be to turn left from Bume road onto the S102 past Mpondo dam and then he H5 down to the H4-2.

I will be staying outside the park after Lower sabie for the rest of that week and will be entering the park from Crocodile bridge. I will post my trip report after my trip to heavan and maybe have alot of pics from Duke and let you guys know where to find him.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Leave the S25 & S28 to the days you are entering the CB gate, that will give you the chance to explore as Patto suggested?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:54 pm 

Hey Alf,

The Wild Dogs that I saw on the Bume road were about 100m past the left turn to Mpondo dam, so maybe consider keeping to the Bume road. Not saying that they will still be in the exact spot, but they may stick to that road possibly. But its your choice, the thing I have learnt is to follow your gut. If you feel on the day that Mpondo dam would be the better route, then by all means go for it.

With regard to the S28, you could consider doing it the morning after your stay at Lower Sabie. I did the route in the morning when I was there and went down the S28 to Croc Bridge and up the H4-2. Saw the whole Big 5 on that drive (2 seperate lion sightings) and Elephant were the last seen to complete the Big 5. It wasnt a long drive at all.

Enjoy!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Coming back to your initial question, my answer is 118 - ALWAYS!! I find the s121 a dull road, maybe even the worst in the south, along with the s108, but which is a little better.

Seriously, the s121 is dense, some places you see 5-7 m far.....and with no permanent water, its not that good. Also not that scenic. S118 is a scenic road, although when dry sightings can be a bit poor, but it depends. This is if you do not consider the '@ the right place @ the right time rule.

s25 and s28.....simply wonderful roads IMHO. :D