Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sweni River Road (S126)
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I just recently came back from kruger and for some reason this road has just stuck with me this trip eventhough i have travelled it before, its not that we saw lots on this road but more the scenery and type of road.

Has anyone had any special sightings or experiences on this road?
:dance:

Last edited by oddesy on Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi oddesy 5466

This is my favorite road is the park!We make sure we drive it every time we are in the area. We have been driving this road for about the last 20 years and we have had many AWSOME sighting:
- There was a pride of lions that used to use the koppie on the right hand side of the road, about 7km from the turn off , as their home. (haven't been there for a number of years)
- Cheetahs at the open area about 10km down the road
- Wild dog at the same area
- White Rhino at many places along the road
- Leopard also near the koppie mentioned above. Another leopard just after Welverdient waterhole
- Welverdient: lion coming down to drink a few times, hyaena in the water, elephant herds drinking etc
- Muzandeni Picnic site: Lions and rhino within sight of the picnic site.

As everyone says, just got to be at the right place at the right time!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

BH :D Maybe you should gear up those rice crispies of yours....are they frozen or what?? :lol:

Jokin. This road in 'driving' parallel with the H7, south west of Satara...maybe a good choice on your upcoming trip... :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:24 am 

:hmz: It is rather cold so it's more like brain freeze.

Found the road in question. Follows the Sweni River from the S36 to the main Tshokwane Satara road.

Thanks GS. Never been on it before. Will have to do it some time in the future. When we leave Tamboti, we head for Satara via Girivana Dam, get the permit for Balule and then head via the S100 up aound thattaway to Balule.

Last time I did that road we never saw a dam thing. Grass and trees and a few birds, but nothing else worthy of mention. Plan to stop at Bangu water hole on the way in to Balule.

I digress. I might just plan to do that one next year at the beginning of April. Seem to recall something on the go at Olifants come April 2009.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject: s126
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Been forunate enough to see a leopard's kill up in the tree with the leopard resting at the base of the tree. This was between Sweni and Welverdiend waterholes during May 2007. What I like about the S126 is that we have never encountered a lot of traffic. A road not to be missed

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:25 am 

Sable, leopard, ellies and lions on the Sweni road in 45 minutes. (22 March 2008) This road is definitely going to see me again next week.

Post subject: Sweni road
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:00 pm 
This is one of the roads I used to travel MANY times in the 90's!

For the number of times, I would rank it as medium as far as sightings go... :?

Once again, the right time and place are what counts!

There was an article in CUSTOS magazine calling this the "cubs" road, as some lucky fish saw lion, cheetah and leopard, all with cubs, in one morning! :shock:

I have a very soft spot for Welverdiend, as I spent many hours there, with little reward, though! Highlight was an eland cow that had escaped from one of the neighbouring private reserves!

Also a road of two halves, as the eastern stretch passes through Delagoa Bush, and into open savannah, generally more productive.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The s126 or sweni road as we call it is fantastic. In the mid 80's we were at Satara for a week and found a leopard in a treee along this road. We went every day to check on it and for 5 consecutive days it sat guarding its kill. As the dats went by the "aroma"from the rotting meat got a bit much so you couldn't stay there too long! Other than that we have seen almost everything there is to see along that road. Its a great one

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:58 am 

I always do that trip early morning from Tambotie and go for breakfast at the turnoff at Sweni road or at Satara. Depending on the time and sighting. Enjoy it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
My mapbook estimates that it would take 6 and a half hours to do Letaba to Lower Sabie driving the shortest route.
The estimates are taking an average of 25km.

The S26 would add about another 2 hours if you just do an out and back route.

Its up to you.

Post subject: Re: S126
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Drove this road in beginning of Dec on a night drive. We had 2 honey badger sightings, many large spotted genets, hyenas, civet , white tailed mongoose, porcupine (but people were unhappy we missed the larger cats). The night was about the smaller mammals and they put on a great show.
Despite the rain during the night I decided to drive it again the next morning 1st thing...didnt see much but coming back along the S40 to the H7 we were lucky to see a very fat male leopard who slowly moved off through an open area.

Undoubtedly the best sighting on this road, although sad was in Dec '05 when we saw 2 cheetah bring down a baby impala in the road right at the S126 and S40 junction. We were looking at a map when the next thing out of the bushes came this little impala followed by the cheetahs. They caught it and played with it, before eventually killing it. A year later my mom was at the exact same juntion and saw 2 cheetahs on a kill they had made. Weird conincidence 8)

Post subject: Re: S126
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nice thread, Ods. :thumbs_up:

Hiya L Snr

The Sweni Road remains one of our favourites, including a pit stop at Muzandzeni. Welverdiend has always delivered in the past.

As far as your query is concerned - We were there at the beginning of July 2010. The road was in relatively good condition in comparison with past experiences. :thumbs_up: Saw lots of rhino, elephants and a huge herd of buffaloes. No canines, as it seems Welverdiend is no longer an active waterhole. :(

There is a resident pride of lions at the Sweni bridge too (t-junction with the H1-3). The Sweni dam was quiet in July as there were Sanparks labourers upgrading the dam or something.

We have even seen wild dogs on the S126. And yes, it is a quiet road, making you believe you are the only visitors to this Kingdom. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Sweni River Road (S126): Sightings
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
One of my favourite roads. I have seen leopard several times on this road. Often in trees. Have also spotted lions several times as well.
This magnificent male leopard was taken at the Welverdiend waterhole late in the afternoon in Nov last year. His coat was in pristine condition.

And this male lion was at a buffalo kill during the same trip. This was a early morning shot and it was raining. The other male lions were resting nearby.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:50 pm 

I love that road. The 1st time I brought my wife to the Kruger(1992 )she really wanted to see a leopard. Earlier in the trip I had glimpsed a leopard at lower sabie but while I was reversing to get a better view it ran away(our first big argument).A few days later travelling on the sweni road I spotted one in a tree sprawled out on a branch in full view. We watched it for 45 minutes. It eventually got up and jumped out of the tree. I was a hero. Probably why she married me. We were the only car.As we drove around the corner to see if we could find it we bumped into 3 lionesses walking in the road. Since then we have seen numerous lions, a cheetah and Sable antelope. The road always feels like something is going to pop up around the next corner.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

STUNNING pictures adw :clap: I LOVE this road.... although corrugated at places, very scenic and LOTS of raptor and bird activity....

Saw some beautiful flowers in december 2009 along this road :)