[ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Best wateringhole\dam around Satara
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:15 am 

which dam/wateringhole would you say is best to sit for a few hours? :hmz:

Post subject: Re: Best wateringhole\dam around Satara
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Gudzani (if it has water in) as Nsemani can get very busy at times :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:23 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

AREFF wrote:
Zeelie , Girivana seems to be very hot at the moment with leopard and cheetah sightings.

Yep. We missed them, but even then it's a super waterhole to stop at. The sheer beauty...

(Of course the best watering hole is the restaurant at Satara itself, looking over the webcam and waterhole. ;) )

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
I like to sit for an hour or two at Lugmag Dam even though the dam is a bit far in for good photography. There is always general game around and Lions are fairly frequent sightings and on my last trip I saw the resident male Leopard.
I know it is further from Satara than Gudzane or Nsemani but it is quieter car wise. Another dam on the S36 is the Shimangaweni dam which I also like to stay at for an hour or two before driving back late in the afternoon on the Sweni road. I have seen Lion and Leopard at this dam and numerous Buffalo herds wallowing in the dam.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 am 

I must agree with adw, we were blessed to witness a leopard killing a male impala Saturday at Shimangwaneni-dam at 11:00. The area around Satara is abundant with general game as always, and Friday morning we saw 5 female and 1 male lion not 100 metres from Satara - we were heading south and the lions crossed the road at the gravel road to the staff accommodation. It was touch-and-go, some zebra ran straight to the lions, but unfortunately the male gave them away.

STOP HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER!!

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right" -Nelson Mandela.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:15 pm 

I find Girivana to be a great spot to park off and relax.Always has something interesting to view.
I was in the park the past weekend.Spent Wednesday night at Satara.Drove the S100 on Thursday morning at gate opening time.Quite dark still.Didn't see much came round the H6, very quiet.Decided to go on the H7 then S40.Lots of general game up to Girivana.Drove about 500m past the dam and saw a car parked off.I asked the gentleman what they are looking at, he replied leopard stalking impala on the right.I looked to the right and saw this cheetah in stalk mode.I told him it's a cheetah.Him and his wife were absolutely sure it was a leopard.Told them I know what is the difference.You could see they were getting a bit edgy and I said ok whateva didnt wna miss out on the action :) I drove little down the road parked halfway between the cheetah and impala and waited.
Within like 5 minutes I saw this cheetah in full speed.I saw the impala started running and dashed across the road obviously spotting the cheetah.I drove quickly down the road to see what had happened and couldnt find the cheetah.The gentleman behind me drove up to me and was very upset with me!I told him now you saw it's a cheetah.He was still 100% sure it was a leopard.Then he got really upset and said I spoilt the kill by driving towards the impala when the leopard took off.I said when I drove off I saw the impala already running and I know what I did was the right thing and I have enough knowledge when it comes to the bush.He got really upset then drove off.I told my wife the way that cheetah ran, like lightning , there is no way that it didnt make the kill.I drove up and down looking but didnt find anything.About 10mins passed and my wife spotted the cheetah on the other side of the road.The cheetah started calling, and I said its calling its cubs.Looked in my rear view mirror and on the road the 3 cutest and tiniest cubs walking on the road towards us :dance: The mother walked towards them and played with them and took them in just off the road to the kill :wall: Can you believe I was looking on the wrong side of the road :wall: Shows how fast it crossed, probably between all the impala and if I only looked that side would have seen the kill :wall: That gentleman deserved it for acting like he knows everything.He said he has been coming to the park for the past 60 years and he knows more than I would probably ever know lol :clap:

To see many of my KNP pictures and tales, visit my Facebook page at :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Safraaz- ... 1744385395

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Vutomi dam - a quieter refuge .

Just another few minutes and I would have had 3 out of 5 in one view .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:17 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Always very lucky at Girivana
this year herd of impala coming for a drink
And group of giraffe.
And icing on the cake was 2 playing young bull elephant
This all within 30 minutes
(not another car around)

last year a huge herd of buff making their way past and in the dam, while vultures still dining
on a dead buffalow near the waterhole,

But the road from the tar to the waterhole has never delivered any of the big 5 :huh:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:14 pm 
My pick would be:-

Nr 1 Gudzani
Nr 2 Girivana
Nr 3 Vutomi
Nr 4 Kumana
Nr 5 Nsemani

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:42 pm 

One afternoon in early June we saw about 30 Elephant, 5 Rhino. a lone buffalo. 14 giraffe, warthog, impala and many zebra and a very pregnant cheetah at Giravana waterhole all within an hour.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:20 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Nseamani always has something to see :thumbs_up: Hippos, Crocs, Saddle Billed Storks, Maribou Storks and Fish Eagles are always near Nsemani. And there is always something coming to drink :D Although as said before - it becomes a zoo with all the cars.

Girvana is a quieter spot but hardly ever has water :lol: Just access it off the s40 becasue that s12 is a very quiet road compared to others around satara :thumbs_up:

Lugmug dam is not close to satara. But It is in the central region and always has plenty of animals and few cars :thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:22 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Oh and I forgot!!
Ngotso to the North! Check out the trees with binocs for leopard. Also cheetah and lions coming to drink or hanging out in the area. Ngotso is a cat magnet 8)

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:18 pm 

Hi! I see that quite a few people rate Gudzani as a very good waterhole....is that the Gudzani at the S90/S41 split or the Gudzani at the S100/S41 split. On the map I have it shows both the waterholes as Gudzani with anothe one, Gudzani East on the S41 itself.