View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tshokwane Picnic Spot
Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

guepard wrote:
Lockie

March 08 tshokwane was still under other management.
Are you saying that R60 for a meal with starters, mains, desserts and coffee is an expensive proposition Lockie or did I get you wrong?

Not at all guepard...a bargain at twice the price. I was just wondering about the baskets, the cutlery the glasses and of course the food!! What if people make off with the whole thing and go someplace else?? does R240 cover all??..You may run out of baskets!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:14 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Geupard, I love the idea :D

When I used to visit the Cape frequently, we would always make use of the picnic basket options on the wine route. It's perfect :thumbs_up: It's also versatile.

One of my biggest eating problems at Kruger is the fact that I tend to feel a bit uncomfortable with lots of driving and the very fatty meals on offer. I think it might be due to a bit of car sickness after a while. That option looks spot on.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:32 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
o-dog wrote:
Although its not correct to feed the birds (and I dont anymore) I cant see why people are so against it in the National Parks. I remember feeding birds was a highlight growing up as a kid on holidays at places like Shingwedzi and Olifants in particular. It certainly was a main reason to get me to appreciate birds with a passion. I think those people who feed birds are not as big offenders as everyone makes them out to be. If it helps people love the Kruger and love birds surely its only going to do better for nature on this earth. To me the costs of people feeding birds to the birds and the other people who just get irritated by them, are negligable compared to the good that people get out of it and In think birds and nature get more allies by such experiences.
It makes the trips for me having all the birds at the various picnic spots and camps. If the birds are such a problem to people then I think they should just go to the Park in summer when as is mentioned the birds disperse and wont be a nuissance.
With food around animals are always going to be attracted - people shouldnt feed I guess but people always will continue or will at leave crumbs behind etc thereby attracting wild animals. Should we just convert all the stop over spots to large chicken wire fenced enclosures so that no birds or animals can get in and so that no one gets disturbed??

The problem with the ignorant visitors is that they only see the fun of feeding the animals and oohh and aahh and imp[ress everyone. But, once they feed birds, they won't stop there: it will progress to monkeys, and baboons, and whatever else comes their way. That's why it is best to nip it in the bud at source.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

o-dog
I can see point, but please do not entertain this thought too long. Feeding the birds at picnic sites create further problems. Period.
If in any doubt you can work here for two days during a long weekend or school holidays.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:58 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Some of the Tshowkane bandits.

Despite their nuisance factor, I enjoy watching these little devils.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

To get off the topic of birds and monkeys.
2 Saturdays ago we had a LIT at Tshok behind the kitchen. A few fortunate visitors could enjoy the sight for 20 minutes or so before it jumped down and disappeared.
This past Saturday we saw a lioness with her two cups down the road about 50 yards from Tshok turnoff towards Satara.
Our resident ellie bull paid us a visit last Thursday and this morning it was the first time I saw buffalo at the tearoom.
Took this pic about 10 minutes ago across the road from the parking area.
Now we need that rhino we saw next to the bridge while cycling I while ago to come and show face.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:37 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What a life you have.
I never get visitors like that, sigh!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tshokwane seems like the place to be. I am just going to have stop there for the day and watch the animals pass by. No need to drive around all day - its all happening at Tshokwane! - Including good food. 8) 8)

No to Hotels in Kruger

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You had better tell some down sides to you job if not we will have all the younger mites ( and not only) applying for a job in the KNP :roll:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:32 pm 

o-dog wrote:
Although its not correct to feed the birds (and I dont anymore) I cant see why people are so against it in the National Parks. I remember feeding birds was a highlight growing up as a kid on holidays at places like Shingwedzi and Olifants in particular. It certainly was a main reason to get me to appreciate birds with a passion. I think those people who feed birds are not as big offenders as everyone makes them out to be. If it helps people love the Kruger and love birds surely its only going to do better for nature on this earth. To me the costs of people feeding birds to the birds and the other people who just get irritated by them, are negligable compared to the good that people get out of it and In think birds and nature get more allies by such experiences.
It makes the trips for me having all the birds at the various picnic spots and camps. If the birds are such a problem to people then I think they should just go to the Park in summer when as is mentioned the birds disperse and wont be a nuissance.
With food around animals are always going to be attracted - people shouldnt feed I guess but people always will continue or will at leave crumbs behind etc thereby attracting wild animals. Should we just convert all the stop over spots to large chicken wire fenced enclosures so that no birds or animals can get in and so that no one gets disturbed??

While at Satara once I was watching a small boy playing, well I had to as his parents and grandparents were too busy chatting. He managed to put his hand in some rather yucky bird mess. Because he was doing something that he obviously knew he shouldn't have been doing, he didn't tell his parents. Instead he managed to wipe the said yucky mess on the seat, the table and anything else he could reach, thus managing to spread it everywhere else. He then ate a burger and chips. I just wonder how ill he was that evening.

Birds = bird mess = health risk.

Sorry to bring the topic back up but irresponsible feeding of birds and monkeys needs to be discouraged.

The picnic basket sounds great but my SO's a veggie :roll: I will be trying your venison pie though.

Last edited by saraf on Mon May 25, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:37 pm 

Taken in March 08....

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I spoke to a staff member at tshokwane in my last visit he said one day when they got there a lion was lying at the one bathroom! :hmz:

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Guepard or Cheetah, whatever you prefer to be called:)
Understand the problems. You dont need two days of working in Tshokwane to see the problem-in fact 2 mins over lunch on a sunny winters day and you will have seen all you need to see concerning this 'problem'.
Its not quite Tshokwane, but I have been working close by in the Sabi Sands for 2 years and the animals cause the same problems as they do there. We have slightly different managment strategies which seem to pay off as far as the larger mammals are concerned - and for sure its harder to control in a national park! But I stil remember that in places like SHingwedzi feeding the birds as a kid ended up in food to the birds and not monkeys or baboons and a thorough enjoyment and one of the possible causes of me getting involved in nature more actively.
Im sure when I read the article it said they dont have a problem with monkeys because they keep them away with catapults (also works very efectively in the Amazon with the 5 or so problematic monkey species I had raiding me for food). So are the monkeys in Tshokwane a problem or just the birds??
If youre attacked by a monkey I feel sorry for you, and yes we have a problem, but if its birds stealing crumbs (which will happen feeding or no feeding) Im sorry then you wont handle the insects either so why are you out there in the first place??
Its nothing personal, I just (possibly wrongly) dont like people complaining about what to me was always a major highlight of the park (having the birds around) when there are more important issues such as speeding in the park!! 8)

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Oh Saraf I think thats hilarious :D :D ...hopefully the child got at a stomach ache then he/she wont do it again! I wonder which lucky parent got to assist in the cleaning up! And hopefully he doesnt treat dogs' excrement in the same manner - then he may get really sick!
If health were a big worry for the family then surely malaria (had a friend die from it after contracting it in Winter in KNP) would be more of an issue?? I think people get too pedantic sometimes thats all...then we need to add to my chicken wire cage that I mentioned, a roof so no feaces can pass through :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next