Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tshokwane Picnic Spot
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
No Sakoro, only those south of Tshokwane, namely Nkuhlu on the 'N1' highway between Skuk and LS, where Wacktazz works, and Afsaal, on the Skuk to Malelene road.
The others are just pleasant 'fenced off' spots with tables, chairs and toilets, some (picnic spots that is) with a view.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:34 pm 

I love monkeys, but when we were at a very full Tshokwane a couple of weeks ago, I was setting out the family picnic on one of the far tables when a vervet monkey leapt onto my arm and tried to bite me - fortunately my husband rushed forward and scared him off. I can only assume that, just like our baboons here in the Cape, they are being fed by visitors and are starting to expect food from humans - though why he picked on me, I have no idea!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Samantha

As you know one of my staff was quick at hand with a kettie. We can do nothing more. I ask nicely, explain, reprimand, etc etc every day of my life, but people still feed birds....and some even the monkeys. Very few want to believe that feeding birds is harmful. It is in fact the reason why monkeys behave the way they do. Besides that, if you can feed a crested barbet, why not a leopard? Feeding an animal is feeding an animal! FFS!
I am not going further with this, as I will say things I might regret, but I am really sorry about your incident.
I agree with Ndloti. People are the nuissance.
Yours in Kruger
David

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:52 am 

Hi Guepard,

Thanks for that info, but I agree with everybody. It's not the monkeys fault or the birds fault. It's the PEOPLE that are the problem.

Your staff and yourself are doing a very good job at Tshokwane. At least the kettie chases the monkeys away. :thumbs_up:

But I think something needs to be done about the people. :sniper:

Thanks,

Samantha

28-31 March - Orpen

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ndloti

We were at Pafuri in mid-May and the vervets were becoming a problem - snatching things from the table if one turned one's back for a split second.

Had bad experiences at Nkulu with baboons (long time ago - saw huge baboon snatch food from the hand of a tiny toddler) and vervets (Aug 2007 - one bared its teeth at me and another jumped on table and smashed our vacuum flask). Glad to see on recent visits that Wacktazz has improved things and one can have a relaxed coffee and rusks break (and stock up on Buff Pasties!) without fending off thieving vervets.

I agree with other posts that it is HUMANS who are the problem - thinking that feeding birds etc will do no harm. Even the bushbuck at Timbavati can be a problem.

Thanks to all the staff who are trying to keep things under control and keep the picnic sites safe and pleasant.

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:04 am 

While visiting Tshokwane in Feb, a group arrived and the one woman immediately took out a bag of specially prepared breadcrumbs and started feeding the birds.
Within seconds she had what looked the entire Kruger park's Starlings and Hornbills around her. :roll: plus a few Monkeys of course.
Anyway Jock immediately marched over to her and informed her that she was not allowed to feed the birds, "Oh, I didn't know we were not allowed to feed the birds as well" was the answer. :huh:
Jock then told her to not only read the signs all over the place but also to read her entrance permit where the rules and regulations are plainly printed.
Anyway, we left shortly afterwards and she wasn't feeding them at that time but there was already enough crumbs on the ground to keep them going for a while. :roll:
Until folk are given huge fines on the spot for these transgressions, this is going to continue, I'm afraid.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:43 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
I had a greater blue-eared starling poop into my boerewors and pap sheba from the tree overhead. Unappetising after that, I assure you. Many of the tables are under the magnificent trees - which I suppose they have to be - but that is one of the hazards of close bushveld contact, I suppose. :lol:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Own, my SO got it got it on his head. :lol: :lol: Here is a mug shot - maybe one of them?

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Aren't we glad that elephants don't fly. :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:31 pm 

Hi RayK

A boerie is a long bread roll that has a boere wors(sausage) on it. Boere wors is a sausage that is normally made of beef with spices and then prepared on a gas or wood fire. It think it is the same as a bbq in USA. Sheba is a tomato and onion sauce. The combination is a South African favourite.
Hope this helps but the best explanation is to try it. :twisted:

This is off the topic, and I appologise for it, but can someone please give me a quick explanation of how to post pictures.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

When I was planning our trip recently I knew that we would be going BnD to Letaba - lunchtime very conveniently happened to coincide with going past Tshokwane :twisted: :twisted:

I must give my congrats - what a well organised site and the food is absolutely delicious.

I managed to scoff a venison pie and it was mmmmmmmmmm..... and then the SO and I shared a kudu wors, pap and sheba lunch with a side salad (fresh, crunchy and excellent).

Good grub and we took a couple of pics of the food prep to show some of the peops here - again, great, great place to stop.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

During our trip last week we twice had a breakfast of boerewors, pap and sheeba. We have done this many times before and it has become a "must do" while in Kruger.
Thanks to Guepards' Dad :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:18 pm 

Geelwortel wrote:
Hi All

We where in the park again, after a 3 year absence, on the 21st to 23rd of August 2009. :D !!! We went to Tshokwane on the 21st and after reading the forum I decided to test Guepards dad's boerie roll with sheba, hope the spelling is correct, and I must say it was great and I would recommend it to everyone driving past. My mouth is starting to water again.

I would also like to congratulate Guepard and his team on the excelent job they are doing. My wife who introduced me to the park and who have been coming for years said that this is the best that she has seen this picnic spot and the service are also better than ever before.

:clap: :clap: Well done Guepard and team :clap: :clap:

I had one to...was awesome, got to the turnoff to Orpen Dam, made a U-turn and went back for a second...and THIRD :-)

RESERVES were declared to keep natural areas in their wildest form.
KEEP IT THAT WAY!!

15 Mar: Satara
21-23 March: Shingwedzi
18-21 April Balule
9 May: Sand River Bush Camp

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:10 am 

Guepard. You and your dad are making this spot a "must visit".
Beautiful setting. Spotlessly clean and very well trained staff.
Glad that we have had the chance to meet you two a few times in the last few weeks.
I Take my hat off for you.
Well done.

My SO and the kids are really hooked on your Kudu rolls now after I let them taste it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:12 am 

MM could be right there, but if you are use to pay R22.00 for one potion of french fries, a normal size and not the big portions you sell in Sout Africa, then I guess R22.50 for a boerie roll is just a steal and you are not going to make your food yourself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next