Skip to Content

4 nights at Kruger NP

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
fcenteno

4 nights at Kruger NP

Unread postby fcenteno » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:16 pm

Hi everyone,

Firstly my apologizes if Im not my opening the topic at the correct place.

We will spend 4 nights and more or less we have an idea what we want to do but need some piece of advice. We are thinking on next itinerary (booking mostly everything from your webpage):

Malelane (out of KNP) - Lower Sabie - Satara - Olifants - Private reserve?

Wednesday 4th November: From Joburg go to Malelane and sleep out of Kruger NP.
Thursday 5th November: Early morning enter via Malelane Gate and Birdwatching. Then drive to LS for sunset drive.
Friday 6th November: Early morning selfdrive around LS and enjoy the camp. Mid day drive to Satara camp and rest.
Saturday 7th November: Do Morning walk at Satara, go to Olifants and do sunset drive there.
Sunday 7th November: Morning selfdrive, and go to private reserve and spend the evening there.
Monday 8th November: Morning drive in private reserve, exit via Kruger NP, see Panorama views and come back to Joburg.

What do you think about 1 night private reserve? Would it be better Tamboti or spend 2 nights in one of previous camps?
Any advice about birdwatching and activities?

We already booked Malelane-LS-Satara-Olifants nights,as well as LS sunset drive at and Satara morning walk.

Appreciate your time! Thanks in advance.
Willing to enjoy there!

Regards.

DinkyBird

Re: 4 nights at Kruger NP

Unread postby DinkyBird » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:37 pm

Hi fcenteno! :D

You have a well thought out itinerary, and it looks good to me. I cannot advise re a private reserve, we always love as much time as we can get in Kruger. Have you looked at Talamati? A lovely private camp.

Early November is a lovely time in Kruger. The birds are arriving back, and in full song and very busy. The impala should be close to dropping their lambs, so I hope you see a few young ones.

We find that even walking around the camps brings good bird watching opportunities. The deck at Olifants is wonderful to watch for raptors riding on the thermals. And also at Olifants, at sunset (you do have a drive planned) the nightjars are all around the camp - wonderful.
Sawubona
Dalene

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:22 am

A very warm welcome, fcenteno :gflower:

It I agree pretty much with Dinkybird about thinking of Talamati. It will open up a completely different eco zone. The camp also has a lovely hide and waterhole for the guests. It is a place where the beautiful Sable can often be seen.

The S39 is a great road in that area. It covers a number of eco zones and for birders, this is an opportunity for many different species.

Tambotie is one of my favorite camps, but as far as I know, its hide is currently not in use.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

leervis
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:24 am

Hi fcenteno. November is when it all starts happening bird wise in Kruger. It is the beginning of full summer and many of the migrants have already arrived. Your itinerary looks good and I offer the following suggestions. Please remember that in November it can already be very hot, and temperatures in the low 40's are possible so be prepared. Malaria is also a danger so use the medications that are available. I agree with the other comments and we have found that the private reserves are great if you have only a day or two and want to tick the big 5, but nothing beats Kruger for birding and if you do decide to spend that extra night at Talamati you will not be disappointed. ENJOY!!!
26 - 29 August Balule
30 August - 1 September Sirheni
2 - 5 September Tsendze

9 - 12 November Punda Camping
13 November Letaba Safari Tent
14 - 17 Balule Camping

fcenteno

Unread postby fcenteno » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks to all of you!! You are very kind! And quick :D !

Ok so we are going to check Talamati availability, sounds great. We will take all your advices into account. We wiil book olifants sunset drive as you said Dinkybird!
What activities do you recommend in Talamati??

As summary, we have 2 sunset drive and 1 morning walk. What do you think? Is it enough? We still need to plan Malelale morning and one day at Talamati. Open to all your recommendations!

Thanks in advance!
My best wishes!

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Doing self drive, and getting up early before dawn and just enjoying coffee at your unit while the bush wakes up around you is also special, as is braaiing at camp at sunset, so leave time for that too. I think 2 drives and a walk in 4 days is plenty.
Sawubona
Dalene

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:16 am

You already have a full program for your four days in Kruger as DinkyBird has said fcenteno, with two drives and a walk! I also wouldn't even think of a night in a private reserve if I can spend it in Kruger, and can only agree with all the great advice already given here by other 'mites! :dance: :dance:

Enjoy this experience, and tell us all about it in a travel tale upon your return! :dance: :dance:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:52 am

I agree about the self drive, particularly if you are birders. It is then possible to stop a while and take everything in at your own pace.

The road to Talamati is next to a river bed. Take the byways into the lovely riverine trees. You will probably be rewarded with many birds not seen on normal drives. I have often have sightings of African green pigeons on this route.

If you do decide to explore the S39, considered by some as one of the best roads in Kruger, it might well take a full day.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”