Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BnD is my favourite big 5 area. We always take visitors there to knock their socks off. The "ring" road is almost guarenteed!

It starts at the turnoff to the camp from the Malalene / Skukuza rd 9km of tar goes past camp on to dirt down to the water hole back past mountain and riverbed back on "main" road and back to camp. We have also seen buff, rhino, lion and elephant while standing in camp. Leopards on all road are regulars.

Have a great time

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:00 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

We seem to have missed this event. Any other camps with a “birthday" coming up soon?

Media Release: Berg & Dal turns 21 today
Date: 2005-02-25
Berg & Dal Rest Camp and Conference Centre, in the Southern Region of the Kruger National Park (KNP), turned 21 years old today (Friday, February 25, 2005).
This camp, one of the newer tourist facilities in the KNP, was officially opened in 1984 by the then-Minister of the Environment and Fisheries, SAS Hayward.
According to KNP records, the construction of the camp at the site on the Matjulu Spruit in the Malelane Mountain Range was conceived during a 1980 - 1985 plan to increase tourism facilities in the Kruger National Park.
At the time, the government granted R1-million per year for five years to implement the plan which would add another 1 000 beds to the KNP's existing 3 000 bed tourist infrastructure.
This ambitious plan stipulated that, with proper planning, the new camps would include the tranquility of the smaller camps but would provide as much accommodation as the bigger camps.
Apart from Berg & Dal, Mopani was also built during this period, as were various other tourist facilities - bush camps and picnic sites - around the KNP.
Today, Berg & Dal not only boasts tranquil accommodation which includes 69 huts, 23 family cottages, two guest cottages and 70 caravan sites (which haven't changed since the camp opened), but also a world-class conference facility, a swimming pool, an “in camp" trail with Braille facilities and various other exciting activities. See brochure or visit www.sanparks.org for more details.

Post subject: berg en dal
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The camp is situated in an ecologically unique area in terms of vegetation and therfore animal life. it is a good area for white rhino, wild dog and further north and west for sable. The only real negative about the camp is the view of the sugar refinery at malelane which is visible from the camp, but as mentioned you may always be able to change your reservation once you are there if you wish.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:37 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Berg-n-Dal, recently turned 21 years old being the second youngest camp in Kruger after Mopanie. BnD is surrounded by tall koppies and even some small mountains and is a beautifull part of the Park what scenery contains. Thus giving its name.

I have stayed there quite a number of times. The camp itself has a very nice swimming pool, lookout over the Matjulu dam, a short day hike along the fence next to the dam, a very nice little coffee shop and restaurant, a small internet caffe in the reception office, lovely chalets and a small exhibition in the reception area.

There are many bat houses in the camp, so look out for them.

The camp space is more than adequate and big enough.

The shop has all the adequate stock to make your stay worthwhile.

There is a small kiddies jungle gym but beware of the resident vervets and don't leave any children unattended. There are 2 resident fisheagles nesting in the dam area and they are a sure for some great photo opportunities.

Look out for the memorial tablet neard the fence along the dam of junior ranger Charles Swart who was killed by a leopard on a nightdrive on the Matjulu bridge.

Many animal skulls are to be seen alongside the walking trail in the camp. This trail is not advisable to be walked at night and is advertised as being done so at nightime on own risk.

Enough of the camp. The area is immaculate for seeing white rhino. Leopard too are seen frequently. A resident marabou stork nests on the side of the matjulu loop road after just turning off from the tar road to your right after exiting the gate.

The matjulu loop has provided sightings of mainly rhino but we have seen a pride of about 15 lions and wild dogs on a nightdrive.

A morning walk in the area will almost certainly dish up a sighting of hyeana, buffalo and white rhino.
I suggest taking a morning walk and ask specifically to see some bushman drawings.

The camp itself is situated a bit too close to the border of the PArk and in daytime smoke from the nearby sugar factory can be seen and at nightime on nightdrives lights from the neighbouring towns are visible.

On the road from Malelane to BnD you will come across a very small waterhole on your right, right next to the tar road. I have also seen rhino drinking water here.

Afsaal is a lovely picnic spot not too far from BnD. A month ago that area was teeming with large numbers of general game. A new bird hide Gardenia is alo within close proximity of BND.

Other special animal interests in BnD area are: Brown-headed parrots, kudu, verreaux eagles. Giraffe, Genet, Chamelaon(nigh drives) and Spotted eagle owl. A nightdrive is well worth the effort!

It is a beautifull camp and should definitely be visited. I will be there on the 22nd and the 25th of June, so let me know if you would like to meet for a drink.

More on Afsaal.
More on Berg-en-Dal.

Kind regards
WTM.

Last edited by wildtuinman on Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The ring around BnD has been our favourite road as it has produced the magnificent 7 for us on numerous occasions. Go out BnD gate turn right onto the dirt road to the waterhole. Good rhino spots all the way to the rhino have seen several leopards there. Follow the sand road next to the river until you get to the tar, still great leopard country. Have seen lion on the tar back to BnD too many times to count. Have seen wild dog and cheetah as well. Great ellies as well. Buff are to be found near the river or in the plains to the left of BnD. If we have been to BnD for a quick weekend I have seen us drive no further than Afsaal, and just go round and round.

Post subject: Best/favourite road in the Malenane/BD area
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:54 pm 

Last year we took a walk along the pathway in the camp and were lucky enough to have close encounters with about 7 ellies which is pretty daunting with only a wire fence between you that suddenly doesn't look very adequate. It was an awesome experience. We have also seen 2 leopards together on the tar road up to B&D.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:59 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I agree, the Matjulu Loop outside Berg en Dal is really great, however large sections have been recently burnt, but still worth travelling.
The Biyamti Loop that heads west from Biyamiti Weir back to the tar road is also a great road.
Have had good leopard, rhino, ele and buff sightings in the last month from Afsaal down to Berg en Dal.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:41 pm 

Hi Rooikat and forumites

I love Berg-en-dal :lol: . When ever we go there, we see lots of animals, no matter which road. We "often" see the big 5. In March, we left the camp taking the road to the right (S110). About 5 km's down the road, a Leoperd walked within touching distance past our car on the dirt road. On the main tar road, a LIT. Second one we have seen in a tree. The S120 and S121 have also produced lion and many buffalo.

Only animals we have not seen are Cheetah and Wild dog. I have a couple of photos and stories on a web site. Have a look. There are other camping stories, but two of them on Berg-en-Dal.

http://www.glynsay.co.za/Holidays/Caravaning.htm

Actualy, we will be there from the 5th to the 9th Aug. 1,5 weeks to go. Feels like a year...

Cant wait!!!

Keep well everyone

Glynsay
Glynn and Lindsay

Post subject: Berg en dal
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

full sized images at
http://www.pbase.com/richardharris/bergendal

Last edited by richardharris on Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Ellie drinking at Berg-en-Dal
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:39 pm 

Took some really nice pics while this ellie was 'mudding' and drinking... and decided that if you put that up in a quizz it could be ANYWHERE so took one through the fence so people could realise it was in a camp...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

francoisd wrote:
I recall a confrence at BnD. Spent a few days before the conference in the Northern part and then came down. Could not complete the Big 5 in the north. Took us 1 hour to see the Big 5 around BnD. Then a night drive and saw all of the Big 5 in 25 minutes on our way to a bush braai!

At BnD I had the best drive of my life.
We just arrived at the park.
At about 4, we decided to go for a little drive, you know, see an impala here and there.
1 abd a half hours later, we came back and saw four of the big five. in total we didnt drive more than 12 km.
the very next morning as we left, we saw rhino on the road,my personal record on the fastest time in seeing the big five
SO whenever I hear people say that BnD is a terrible place for game, I have the perfect retaliation.
Also perhaps intially with all the building and roads the animals couldve been frightened away, now they have settled and are abundantr there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:21 am 

Within a 12 km from BnD saw Leopard, Rhino, Buffalo, Elephant and Lion ... not to mention Impala as well ... never forget Impala :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
gwendolen wrote:
I've been looking at the camp map of Berg & Dal. Do any of the bungalows have a view of the dam? I was thinking 12 - 15 and 22 - 26 might have. Does anyone know?

Yes Gwen, you will see the dam area from there. It is just to the top of the walking path alongside the dam. There are many trees on the wateredge which may hamper views of the dam considerably.

@ Everyone: Also remember that walking alongside the dam on the camp path is on own risk. Don't come cry by us Argentinia if a leopard takes you out there. You will see the warning board on the fence.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Berg-en-Dal is surely situated in one of the more picturesque areas of Kruger. I heard about several people not liking the camp very much because the building style is so much different from the older traditional camps. Personally I love the camp.

Regarding game viewing I will categorize it as an "average" area. Buffalo, giraffe, klipspringer, kudu, lion and leopard are all quite regularly seen. But it is a very good area for elephant sightings. I reckon Berg-en-Dal area ia about the best in the whole park to see wild dog and white rhino.

Personally I will not really bother to travel any other routes than the S110/H3 circular route. You can do this as an early morning drive before breakfast. After breakfast you can do exactly the same road again and see totally different game. Your late afternoon drive can be very rewarding again. The H3 between both S110 junctions is a good road for leopard and white rhino. Matjulu is a wonderful spot for elephant. I had my best wild dog sightings on the gravel part of the S110. And white rhino is fairly common on the S110 (tar and gravel).

The S119 (Mhlambane Loop) can also be a very rewarding piece of road. Had beautiful sightings of lion and big buffalo herds on this road.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:31 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This camp always produces something if you stay on the boundary fence. I've seen the following in 9 nights spend there (Seen from my chalet)
Hippo, waterbuck, blue wildebeest, Zebra, impala, hyena, wild dog, elephant & white rhino. I've just missed lion, my neighbours showed me the tracks they made next to the fence minutes prior to my arrival from a morning gamedrive.

This is also one of my lucky cheetah & leopard areas (Seen outside the camp)

I can recommend this camp when the dry seasons in the Central and Northern areas set in, as the game then seems to flock in this direction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next