SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
The H10 can also be very productive, so its advisable to not do that in too much of a hurry.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:05 pm 

oh, you don't have to tell me about the h-10, that has always been very productive for us. i love driving down that we saw two cheetahs last year on that road, one in the tree and the other looking up at it, plus i really love the scenery on that stretch.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

wow that must have been something special....i always go one this road when i am in the area jus luv it!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Henche, it was just the part of the s39 from the H7 to timbavati, the rest of the road after that was perfectly fine, Thats one of my favourite pieces of road in the entire park :D :lol:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:59 pm 

Thanks Odessy. Appreciated.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Oddesy5466 :dance: hopefully be in the park in december...will definately go on this road!! :clap:

Post subject: Re: S126
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Any mites travelled this road recently? :popcorn:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:09 pm 

I travelled it sometime around November 2nd. I am still working on my trip report, but I seem to remember seeing Southern Ground Hornbill, elephant, giraffe, and lots of the usual impala. It seem like the first 12 or so km's from the tar road weren't as dry at the last few kms towards the S36. We noticed 2 or 3 leopard sightings on the sightings board for that road while we stayed in Satara (3 nights), but didn't see one there.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

They always see leopard on that road, but i guess ya gotta be in the right place at the right time! :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

skywalker2251 wrote:
I travelled it sometime around November 2nd. I am still working on my trip report, but I seem to remember seeing Southern Ground Hornbill, elephant, giraffe, and lots of the usual impala. It seem like the first 12 or so km's from the tar road weren't as dry at the last few kms towards the S36. We noticed 2 or 3 leopard sightings on the sightings board for that road while we stayed in Satara (3 nights), but didn't see one there.

Thanks skywalker2251 :thumbs_up: ill have to go and look for the leopards in dec :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This is really a stunning road. But when I was there in December the road was in a terrible condition. We only travelled about 5kms of it, but in those we had some great sightings: rhino, ellie, impala and lotsa birds :D

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Drove this road in beginning of Dec on a night drive. We had 2 honey badger sightings, many large spotted genets, hyenas, civet , white tailed mongoose, porcupine (but people were unhappy we missed the larger cats). The night was about the smaller mammals and they put on a great show.
Despite the rain during the night I decided to drive it again the next morning 1st thing...didnt see much but coming back along the S40 to the H7 we were lucky to see a very fat male leopard who slowly moved off through an open area.

Undoubtedly the best sighting on this road, although sad was in Dec '05 when we saw 2 cheetah bring down a baby impala in the road right at the S126 and S40 junction. We were looking at a map when the next thing out of the bushes came this little impala followed by the cheetahs. They caught it and played with it, before eventually killing it. A year later my mom was at the exact same juntion and saw 2 cheetahs on a kill they had made. Weird conincidence 8)

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:09 pm 

The post by "Wild about cats" refers :
This is really a stunning road. But when I was there in December 2009 the road was in a terrible condition.

I shall be at Satara during end of September 2010 - any news on the present condition of the S126 ?

Len

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nice thread, Ods. :thumbs_up:

Hiya L Snr

The Sweni Road remains one of our favourites, including a pit stop at Muzandzeni. Welverdiend has always delivered in the past.

As far as your query is concerned - We were there at the beginning of July 2010. The road was in relatively good condition in comparison with past experiences. :thumbs_up: Saw lots of rhino, elephants and a huge herd of buffaloes. No canines, as it seems Welverdiend is no longer an active waterhole. :(

There is a resident pride of lions at the Sweni bridge too (t-junction with the H1-3). The Sweni dam was quiet in July as there were Sanparks labourers upgrading the dam or something.

We have even seen wild dogs on the S126. And yes, it is a quiet road, making you believe you are the only visitors to this Kingdom. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:44 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Done it last year and its indeed a very nice drive although i saw nothing special
Will do it again

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next