SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Marilze,

Have u stayed in the safari tents? I highly recommended them. Its like luxurious camping..... No's 29, 28 and 27 have superb river views, and are closer to the fence and river than the BD2U's. When you are there have a look at them for future visits.

Enjoy the KNP. I'm :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:10 pm 

Hi, someone asked us to post photos of Lower Sabie units so here is my contribution.
It is a BD3U unit and it was Unit 3 which was right next to the shop and reception.

Unit 3 (BD3U)

The view from our verandah

Bathroom (Shower, basin and toilet)

Main room with 2 single beds. The door you can see is the door to the bathroom and the kitchen is on the left.

The kitchen. Hotplate only. The lighting is not very good in the kitchen

The 3rd bed in the kitchen. Not really suited for an adult as there is no packing space so things can get a bit cluttered.

Overall this accommodation has been upgraded beautifully and the view is seperb (the shower is fantastic) Unit 3 is a little bit too close to the shops for my liking as you can hear the fans or something all the time.

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie BG2U Bungalows
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:02 pm 

The new BD2U units have a bigger stoep/veranda, and a bit larger inside. Never stayed in one but followed some of the building.

The BD3U have a great kitchen, with a extra bed for all my Camera gear.

BD3UZ are the 2 units for disabled people. Very large veranda in front.

From the left facing the river, is the camp restaurant. Then a small house. Then the units start BD3U. These first units are very noisy from the people at the restaurant. Around unit 12 I think are the disabled BD3UZ. And then a few more BD3U, then starts the new BD2U and last at the end are the older BG2U.

The views are the same outlook on to the river. Very nice.

I have stayed in a BG2U with the fridge inside the unit. Ask management for a unit with the fridge outside. Otherwise it is very small.

Hope all this helps, but keep on monitoring the availability, sometimes one is lucky to find a cancelation and then you can upgrade.

Personally I usually don’t care, but in this camp I would try to upgrade if you are staying longer than a day.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:00 pm 

Hi Mauxie

Our suggestion would be tents 27 or 28 and then if they are not available to ask for 21 or 20.

I've uploaded a few more pics here for you to peruse...
http://www.kruger-2-kalahari.com/camps.html

Note that tents 20 and 21 have good views but because they are built lower, the reeds could have grown to such a height that they could obscure your view. Tents 27 and 28 are built on higher ground so will not be as affected by reeds and bush as the lower tents. In September the reeds and bush should be thin and low but you never know.

Keep in mind when booking that tent 21 (and 22) have a different code - LST2UZ - as they are built for the physically impaired and therefore have ramps and handrails.

Mario

Post subject: Re: Construction in the Park
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:56 pm 

Welcome to the forums, LizelleB!
The safari tents do have lockable doors now and the fridges are also behind a lockable, cage-type door. I do prefer the renovated bungalows though.
Enjoy your stay.
Regards

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Safari Tents
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:15 pm 

No problem with electrical outlets. There are 2 plugs inside the tent and one on the deck.

Bornfree.

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie One-(wo)man huts
Unread postPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:15 pm 

Hi there, these huts are fine if you can put up with the inconvenience
of having to use the ablutions and communal kitchen.
I know a couple of people who visit the 'Park regularly and stay in these huts, and have heard no complaints. Each hut has its own braai facility.
The viewing in this area makes up for the not-so-luxurious accommodation.
The restaurant and shop are not too far - just make sure you take your
torch, and be cautious when going to the loo in the middle of the night -
there was a hyena snooping around at night.
Have a great trip ! :)

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie One-(wo)man huts
Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:15 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I stayed 2005 in one of these huts. You have your own braai and a bench in front of. Iirc, inside are a bed, a fridge with freezer, an open book-shelf, a table, chair and aircon.

Basic, but functional and clean.

Communal kitchen and ablutions only a few steps away.

To the shop, restaurant and recption its a short walk. Not more than from other accommodation.

I think a good value for money. Or in other word, perfct for the lone rider on a budget trip.

And, because i leave normally camp at gate opening, came back at closing time, have a shower, make a small braai and go to bed, i didn`t need more.

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Leopardlover :D a very warm welcome to you.

There are many forum members who love the "non river" perimeter tents. I think that I have stayed in number 8 myself.

The perimeter fence does give you access to animals going up towards sunset dam. That includes Hyena, baboons, many, many buck and anything with a big thirst. The tents at Lower Sabie are just magic, no matter what you get. Animal sounds creep into your tent.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Leopardlover1

Yes, you will know that you are IN the bush at the safari tents, but an experience :dance: you will never forget. The hippos get active when the sun sets, communicating through the night, having very noisy parties. It seems as if the baboons do not have very nice bedrooms in the trees, lots of arguments, babies crying which upset the waterbirds from time to time. Then there are the lions, the hyenas, and ...... . I do not want to sleep when I am there :wall: You will love the tents if you love the bush :thumbs_up: Sorry, must go and pack :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Lisa
From my last stay in Lower Sabie I remember that the BG2U are the bungalows appr. from the road to the pool till Keartland Guesthouse. All the other perimeter bungalows are now BD2U resp. BD3U. It's a pity that you only got a BG2U because the price difference to BD2U is only R 15.

- If I could fly (KNP March/April 2010)
- Time to fly south again (MZNP, Addo, and more Nov/Dec. 2011)

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:10 am 

lauraclarkeuk wrote:
Hi, I too only managed to book a BG2U for our stay this August 13th and 14th. Have previously stayed in BD3U and had tried for that or a BD2U but they were all gone. Shame as the BD3U was beautiful!
Sounds like there aren't many BG2U left! Keep secretly hoping for an upgrade when we get there but not going to hold my breath! :D
Any news on the rennovations? Would be lovely to turn up and find they've all been done :D

Cheers, Laura

P.s still so excited we're going back wherever we lay our heads!

Hi Laura,

The two BG2U units we stayed in last Nov had been upgraded, from memory I think they were 81 and 82 (but don't quote me on that) and the adjacent ones had also been upgraded. Remember to keep checking the availability daily as units do become available.

Enjoy your trip.

Post subject: Re: Lower sabie map
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:23 pm 

Pucelou, I think the map is a bit out dated.
Here someone has explained it quite nicely.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject: Re: BBQ (Braai) facliities at Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:33 pm 

Hi there

The tents are wonderful, but please bear in mind, they do not have aircon (they do have ceiling fans though) and February is a very warm month in Kruger. It does get really hot in the tents, but there is a shady lawn with big trees and a pool on the eastern side of the restaurant/shop area - so there will be respite from the heat.

Enjoy your planning and your trip

Post subject: Re: BBQ (Braai) facliities at Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Welcome per Ardua,
We have been in the Safari tents in February and with the fan we were fine. They are self contained with a nice little braai area and hot plate Kettle and very basic crockery and cutlery . Image try to get a river view tent though

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next