Skip to Content

Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
bornfree

Re: Lower Sabie Safari Tents

Unread postby bornfree » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:15 pm

No problem with electrical outlets. There are 2 plugs inside the tent and one on the deck.

Bornfree.
"If I had only one day left in Africa, I would choose to spend it with a pride of lions."
- Gerald Hinde

cedron

Re: Lower Sabie One-(wo)man huts

Unread postby cedron » Mon May 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi there, these huts are fine if you can put up with the inconvenience
of having to use the ablutions and communal kitchen.
I know a couple of people who visit the 'Park regularly and stay in these huts, and have heard no complaints. Each hut has its own braai facility.
The viewing in this area makes up for the not-so-luxurious accommodation.
The restaurant and shop are not too far - just make sure you take your
torch, and be cautious when going to the loo in the middle of the night -
there was a hyena snooping around at night.
Have a great trip ! :)

Toddelelfe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Lower Sabie One-(wo)man huts

Unread postby Toddelelfe » Mon May 24, 2010 10:15 am

I stayed 2005 in one of these huts. You have your own braai and a bench in front of. Iirc, inside are a bed, a fridge with freezer, an open book-shelf, a table, chair and aircon.

Basic, but functional and clean.

Communal kitchen and ablutions only a few steps away.

To the shop, restaurant and recption its a short walk. Not more than from other accommodation.

I think a good value for money. Or in other word, perfct for the lone rider on a budget trip.

And, because i leave normally camp at gate opening, came back at closing time, have a shower, make a small braai and go to bed, i didn`t need more.
:hmz: Thinking about the next trip :hmz:
2014 TR from KNP

Crested Barbet
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Unread postby Crested Barbet » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi Lisa
From my last stay in Lower Sabie I remember that the BG2U are the bungalows appr. from the road to the pool till Keartland Guesthouse. All the other perimeter bungalows are now BD2U resp. BD3U. It's a pity that you only got a BG2U because the price difference to BD2U is only R 15.
My TR's
- It's time for Africa! (KNP Nov./Dec. 2010) - Video page 7: Wild dogs watching lions!
- Memories from the backseat (KNP Dec. 2009)
- If I could fly (KNP March/April 2010)
- Time to fly south again (MZNP, Addo, and more Nov/Dec. 2011)

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:10 am

lauraclarkeuk wrote:Hi, I too only managed to book a BG2U for our stay this August 13th and 14th. Have previously stayed in BD3U and had tried for that or a BD2U but they were all gone. Shame as the BD3U was beautiful!
Sounds like there aren't many BG2U left! Keep secretly hoping for an upgrade when we get there but not going to hold my breath! :D
Any news on the rennovations? Would be lovely to turn up and find they've all been done :D

Cheers, Laura

P.s still so excited we're going back wherever we lay our heads!

Hi Laura,

The two BG2U units we stayed in last Nov had been upgraded, from memory I think they were 81 and 82 (but don't quote me on that) and the adjacent ones had also been upgraded. Remember to keep checking the availability daily as units do become available.

Enjoy your trip.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Elsa

Re: Lower sabie map

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Pucelou, I think the map is a bit out dated.
Here someone has explained it quite nicely.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Loerie

Re: BBQ (Braai) facliities at Lower Sabie

Unread postby Loerie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi there

The tents are wonderful, but please bear in mind, they do not have aircon (they do have ceiling fans though) and February is a very warm month in Kruger. It does get really hot in the tents, but there is a shady lawn with big trees and a pool on the eastern side of the restaurant/shop area - so there will be respite from the heat.

Enjoy your planning and your trip

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: BBQ (Braai) facliities at Lower Sabie

Unread postby Hugh » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Welcome per Ardua,
We have been in the Safari tents in February and with the fan we were fine. They are self contained with a nice little braai area and hot plate Kettle and very basic crockery and cutlery . Image try to get a river view tent though
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

bornfree

Unread postby bornfree » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi Gerharddb,
Either No: 15 which is perimeter and partial view of the river or 25 wcich has only partial view of the river.
Have a awesome stay :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Bornfree. :D
"If I had only one day left in Africa, I would choose to spend it with a pride of lions."
- Gerald Hinde

Elmar

Unread postby Elmar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:08 pm

I am interested in knowing which unit nrs in Lower Sabie are BD3U and whether there is any particular BD3U unit which is preferable (in terms of location, privacy, noise levels) over another. Thanks!

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:44 pm

As far as I remember Elmar they are all the ones # 1 to 22.
We had # 21 earlier this year and it was far away enough from the restaurant area to not be a problem and also had a nice view of the river. :D
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

ruud

Unread postby ruud » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:36 am

maddie2312 wrote:Hi All,

I'm trying to find the BD2U on the map? We are staying 2 weeks tonight :dance: and wondered if there is some with better views than others and also away from any renovations.

Hi Maddie,

we were there 2 weeks back and we had number 75. It's a good place and not close to renovations. The renovations are close to Kaertland guesthouse. On the map you hace to look to BG2U..... :doh:
unfortunatelly you can see the diference between BD2U and the BD3U...
I don't know why sanparks doesn't change the maps... sometimes it's very confusing..
Have a nice trip!!

Ruud

Manovo-Gounda

Re: Camping in Lower Sabie

Unread postby Manovo-Gounda » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Also check the description of the campsite at Lower Sabie by Ecojunkie - it sums it up well:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=28185&start=15

Additionally to what has been said here so far two further points:
- No camping at the fence which means it lacks the possibility of watching animals from your tent at night.
- No animal night sounds: Although I heard a barn owl at night from my tent when I camped at LS once. But generally you are too far away from the fence and from the river to hear animal sounds at night (there is quite a bit of human noise pollution including a generator at night at LS campsite).
Latest Lifers Europe: greater short-toed lark, western capercaillie, ashy-headed wagtail
Latest Lifer Africa: Taita fiscal, rosy-patched bush-shrike, slaty egret

Next trip to Kruger: 25.7-3.8 2014, Bird list KNP: 257 species

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Camping in Lower Sabie

Unread postby GlenD » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:03 pm

The camp sites on the left (if you are looking from the river side of the camp) are fairly big, the rest being a mix of small and medium.
I do not agree on not hearing any night sounds. We spent a week camping there two weeks ago and were kept awake sometimes by loud lion roars. We also heard hyena, owls, hippo, fruit bats and even a leopard at night.
I thoroughly enjoyed my camping experience at LS, but each to their own I guess. Enjoy your trip.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi AKadwa

If you know where the pool is, the EH5 units are across the road from the pool, the 'round end' units of the long dorm style buildings if that makes sense (on the camp map they will be units 49, 54, 55 and 60 with the EH3's in between them). The kitchen and ablutions are in close vacinity, the shop is unfortunately for you, on the other end of the camp.

Enjoy :mrgreen:

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”