Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I was there last week and service has improved a lot. Plates and food were cleaned very quickly and even the litter that was blown over the railing was cleaned up.

With regards to LS and camping here are a few point to bear in mind. LS has demarkated camp sites and you are actually given a specific camp site. Unfortunatley either due to people doing their own thing or the fact that some of the camp site numbers are missing you might have to simply pick any site. There are a few with nice big trees, numbers 25 upwards to me looked the best although you are a distance from the loos. Numbers 1 to 24 are close to the loos and some have shade but no real big tree.
A note to LS is to plant some big trees in the camp site. I like how they have tried to screen the sites with Sickle Thorn as these do create thick screening but I had a close look and there are no trees planted that will eventually grow into nice big shade trees. All in all I had a very good camping experience there.
The renovations happening in camp look to be going well and are not creating any unplesant noises.
The hyena still roams around at night and is a bit of a problem. They said he digs under the fence to get in and it is tricky keeping him out.
All in all the camp is a gem and well worth staying there.

Post subject: tents
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:39 am 

Spent two nights at end of last month the tents at LS. We were told by a manager at Oliphants tent 16 was the best as it is right at the corner of the fence and is not overlooked.When we got there we were given number 16 without even asking. She was right it was amazing as Hyena just strolled past while you sat on the deck in the late afternoon on their way to the river, about 1o feet from where we set. The hippo were comical and lions roaring in the night amazing. I had one scary encounter early one morning when I was seiged by a troop of baboons for 40 mins as they used the tent roof/deck as a play area - all part of the fun and memories!

Post subject: Lower Sabie Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
the northern perimeter bungalows face the river. Fantastic view. I looked at the perimeter bungalows and a number of new bungalows have or are almost finished. They have a large window area so you can enjoy the view even while in the bungalow. As far as I am concerned these new bungalows are the best in the park. I am a camper so I will not be staying in them, unfortunately. The views from campsites in the park are not as good as certain bungalow locations and quiete honestly LS view is non-existant for campers unless you take a short walk and there is nothing wrong with that. Nevertheless I still enjoy camping and I am out most of the day anyway spotting animals. Lower Sabie is my 2ND favourite camp after Satara.
Enjoy your stay.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The riverview bungalows must be BD3, since those appear to be the only bungalows with untensils, and they do have 3 beds, 2 singles in the bedroom and a "daybed" in the kitchen. I stayed in #4 last year, one of the first rennovations, and they are very nice indeed. I think the perimeter bungalows are those along the camp's south fence.

As for being "stuck out by the dumpsters" :roll: , you'll be sure of hyena sightings there :wink: Have a great trip!!

Post subject: Family Bungalows at Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:35 pm 

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know what the Family Bungalows (FU5) are like at LS? I read the description on the website, and it said that they were in the 'budget accommodation area' of the camp. I'm not sure what that means. I'm looking for a unit that will hold 4 adults, so this seemed to be a logical choice. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The detail below is given elsewhere on this website:

1 bedroom with 2 single beds
- 1 bedroom with 3 single beds
- Aircon
- Kitchen
- No interleading doors, overlooks second unit
- Wc and shower

It is clean and comfortable, but don't expect luxury.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I think they are very nice and luxurious as they were upgraded a few years ago . Good kitchen and verandah with lots of windows in a rondavel shape with the bedrooms in a longdavel with doors off the patio .

The "budget accomodation area" refers to their position in the camp - they are in the area next to the family huts (without private bathrooms) . So all the plebs can envy your superior hut . Actualy your bungalow is a converted (upgrade refered to earlier) group of family huts .

Your walk to the river front is about a minute so the view is secondary importance.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Frederik wrote:
By the way Arks, we had a river view bungalow, two beds, no utensils.

:huh: Not sure what you're referring to here, Frederick, but the riverview bungalow that I had at LS was #4, one of the newly rennovated ones, and it has 2 single beds, a "daybed" in the kitchen/dinning room (which is inside) and the kitchen has all utensils. There is another table with 4 chairs outside on the veranda, adjacent to the braai, so you have the choice to cook and/or eat either outside or in.

These are lovely bungalows, with some especially nicely thought out details, such as the reading lights for the beds and the sliding glass door between the bedroom and kitchen (as well as the one between the kitchen and veranda) so that you can see the view down to the river from your bedroom 8)

Post subject: A diffrent perspective of LS
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:24 am 

Here is a different perspective to a view of Lower Sabie...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:21 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

During our stay at Biyamiti we popped-into Lower Sabie for lunch on 30 September.

The service at the take-out area was once again slow. It was busy but not more than usual. Even took some time just to ask for a empty cup for our tea.

The new river facing units have been completed too no. 22
15 & 16 has different verandas and all unit have carports. Some next to the bungalow while others is across the road from the unit. Still a lot of construction going on on the other side of no 22.

"Normal units"

The veranda of units 15 & 16

One of the car ports. They are not closed on top just a couple of poles running the lenght.

Post subject: LS Bungalow
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:51 pm 

Hi there,

I have a bungalow booked at LS with perimeter, for 2, no utensils, shower, wc and common kitchen. Can anyone tell what bungalow numbers these are, because going through the thread, I just can't make it out.

8 more sleepies and counting down :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:12 pm 

Snippie, when I have stayed in the ones you describe, they have been between numbers 73 and 96 (near Keartland) a nice quiet part of the camp and the pool is behind the 90's.
Have a great trip :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:22 pm 

Hi Marina and welcome,

Maybe this mapwill be of some assisstance to you.
I haven't stayed there in many a year so not too familiar with where the best tents are located.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next