Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Camping cannot be reserved (with the exception of Tsendze where you are allocated a site), it is first come first served.

I would suggest getting there around 9. Thats when most who are leaving have left and not many newbies have arrived. (You do unfortunately get the odd lot that will pack up at 14H00 to leave despite being required to be out by 10am).

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:53 am 

Warm welcome to the forum Jack B! :clap:

Correct, you cannot reserve camping sites so as GlenD has said try and get there early and I'm sure you will find 2 together.
Good luck and enjoy!

Post subject: Renovated BD2U units at Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:08 pm 

Grateful for feedback from anyone who has stayed in or viewed the newly renovated BD2U units at Lower Sabie. I have a specific question about the kitchen area. The SanPark website has a virtual tour link which shows the kitchen enclosed in the unit much like the BD3U's but with no bed in that area. But, the description and still pictures on the same webpage indicate the kitchen is on the veranda. Is the virtual tour correct (and the description/still pictures have not been updated to reflect the renovation) or is the kitchen in fact on the veranda? Other impressions re older BD3Us versus the newly renovated BD2Us at Lower Sabie also are greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Renovated BD2U units at Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Carol g and McLeanMike

I do not know whether they have renovated the BD2U's in the last year, but in 2012 the BD2U's have an open veranda (patio) with a kitchen, a table and chairs, basin and cupboards. Glass sliding door leading to the bedroom.

The BD3U's have an enclosed kitchen (glass sliding door to the veranda in front and to the bedroom on the other side) with a table, chairs, basin, fridge and the 3rd bed on one side.

But maybe this has changed from then :hmz:

Leana

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:46 pm 

Leana is right. The BD2U's kitchen is indeed on the veranda. Stayed there just the other day.
The "virtual tour" of the kitchen on the BD2U is indeed wrong - it shows the BD3U's kitchen.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

All the BD2U's have been renovated, and the kitchen is outside on the covered patio. All the BG2 (which are on the inside curve of each row of perimeter bungalows) have all been renovated except for two they are working on. These units do not face the fence. They are for two people, have a covered patio, and an indoor kitchen area. They actually all look very nice.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WildThing - I have seen photos of the renovated BG2's and they really look very modern and nice. Do you know on which two they are still working? I was wondering about this, because I could not get BD3U nr 20 and picked 24 which was still available - BUT which is very near to the BG2's. :doh:

Nr. 14 was also still available - I now wonder whether I have made a wrong choice - the working process can be very loud, I remember from last visit in 2012.

Leana

Post subject: Lower Sabie renovations
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The OLD reception & Shop are being renovated.....what we understand it's going to be a information centre and a new Laundry room. Hope I got the info correct from a friend who told us....

Deposit paid for Kruger 2015

Post subject: lower sabie
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:12 am 

Hi

I'm planning a trip to KNP in 2015 with my husband and children.
On a previous visit we stayed at Skukuza, Letaba and Satara and loved all those rest camps. This time round I would like to stay at Lower Sabie, but I have read some very negative things about the camp on tripadvisor. Can someone please provide me with an honest opinion about the camp. also, are the rondawels semi-detached. (It's always so hard to find suitable accommodation for a family of 5.)

Also is it better to do a sunrise drive or a sunset drive?

Post subject: Re: lower sabie
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
ilovenationalparks, a very warm welcome to the Forum :clap: :D

I love your name and so fitting :thumbs_up:

On the accommodation, we only stayed in FU4V and BD3U and they all have lovely views of the river and really enjoyable to stay in. The BD3U's are attached two-two to each other, but really great to stay in - 2 beds in the bedroom and another one in the kitchen area, but really tastefully done. :dance:

About the sunrise and sunset matter - I personally prefer a sunrise - Bush Walk and at sunset to rather do the drive. :D

All of the best with the planning. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:46 am 

A big welcome to you ilovenationalparks. :mrgreen:

We stayed in LS over December 2012, and enjoyed it very much. We stayed in the river view safari tents, not quite suitable for your group size. Are everyone adults, or are there some kids aswel. If you have children in the group you can just ask for a extra mattress which I'm sure management will gladly supply.

I am not sure what negative things you read about LS, but everyone has their own opinion about every camps good and not so good things.

In my opinion the game viewing in the area far exceeds the "negative" things about the camp.

Hope you have a wonderful time planning your trip and I"m sure you will get all the advice you need to plan your trip on this forum :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:04 am 

Warm welcome to the forum ilovenationalparks! :clap:

Lower Sabie is an extremely popular camp and often difficult to find accommodation in unless one books far in advance especially in the holidays and peak times which would indicate how good it is.
Its also in a very game rich area.

Have you had a read through the topic we already have for Lower Sabie Camp where I am sure you will find lots of advice and info and answers to many of your questions. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Also not sure what 'negative things' you've read about, but if it was about the restaurant (likely) that's now sorted with Mugg&Bean & Debonairs being the new service providers :lol:

The only problem we've had in Lower Sabie were noisy (read drunk) neighbours - sorted out by the camp manager who came and had a talk to them about the sounds of nature being the preferred music in the park ... and with noisy staff on their way to/from work at 4:00 AM - this did not last long as they were only noisy for as long as it took for them to walk out of earshot of our bungalow - about 3 minutes :D

And the BD3U bungalows may just be the nicest and most comfortable bungalows in the park. With a well-designed bathroom and kitchenette. Not to mention the view. If you can get two attached BD3U units you'll be sorted with regards to your family of five. I do not recommend the huts in Lower Sabie. Cheap they may be, but the last time I stayed in them (granted over 10 years ago), they were musty and murky and cramped (the last likely did not change, but the 'musty and murky' might have been taken care of...)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi ilovenationalparks,

Yes, half the fun is the planning and anticipation!

Contrary to what some responses have been, I have NEVER stayed in any of the "luxury" accommodation units in Kruger Park -- maybe as a child when they were affordable...

Reason: Too expensive!

If you are not too fussy, you can have a wonderful time at Lower Sabie in the huts (we love the EH2 huts -- very cute and NO bats the last few times we used them). I know there used to be a few 5-bed huts for bigger families at a very reasonable rate...

If you are only staying 4 nights, why move around so much? You miss half the first day (14h00 start) and half the last day (10h00 exit), so you actually only have 1 day in the camp if you stay for 2 nights. Repeat at Satara, and you actually really only relaxed 2/4 days... not worth it.

There is so much to do around Lower Sabie, a lovely pool for the kids, lots of place to play around, good game viewing along the river from the restaurant deck, picnic sites at Mlondozi, Nkuhle, Tshokwane... lovely drives to Crocodile Bridge, Skukuza, H10...

Do let us know what you have decided!

And if you ever go in December, choose Pretoriuskop for its amazing rockpool and shady surrounds to relax in during the heat of the day with the kids...

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:51 pm 

Thanks Friedrich

Has anyone stayed in the EH5 huts recently? I wont really need to make use of the communal kitchen facilities as we would braai for the most part. I just want to know whether the huts are clean and comfortable and what the ablution facilities are like.

I must say that i have already fallen in love with the views from some of the bungalows.

I see the value of the staying in just one camp on such a short trip and there are many interesting routes to take from LS. However, part of me feels like I would be missing out if we didn't explore at least one other camp. So hard to decide :hmz:

My most recent, ever changing plan, was to enter the park very soon after the gates open and drive the approximate 4hrs to Satara. As we will enter the park early will will be able to take a leisurely drive to the camp and hopefully have some exciting sightings on the way. We will have some time to relax at the camp an then take a short afternoon drive before camp gate close. I was considering a guided sunset drive on day 2. On the morning of the day 3 we would drive to LS. We would spend most of our mornings driving anyway, so this wouldn't be 'wasted hours'. I was considering a sunrise drive on the morning of day 4. Any opinions?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next