Skip to Content

Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Unread postby tent dweller » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:39 pm

I sent an email to the person in charge of allocating accommodation at Lower Sabie requesting a specific EH3 unit. I got my information from the map of the camp. I got a response saying that the EH3 accommodation that is shown on the camp map is actually the EH5 accommodation. I requested a corner hut as I do not want to be in the middle, as it happens we have been allocated number 51. Is it on the end or in the middle of the row? Please can somebody/anybody shed some light on this confusing situation that has arisen? :doh: :roll:
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
SKUKUZA 04 -06 January 2016

MATTHYS

Unread postby MATTHYS » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:24 pm

From this map it seems that number 51 (just below the Moffat guest house) is in the middle of a row, sorry Tent dweller.
I might be wrong though.
aquila non capit muscas

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kite » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:22 pm

I think the end unit 49, on previous page, in Crested Val's photo, is a 5 sleeper, 50 being a 3 sleeper and I think 51 is a 3 sleeper. At the other end is another 5 sleeper so the 3 sleepers are between the 5 sleepers.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:28 pm

Ok all you fundis - the very best LST2U (Safari tent - perimeter) at Lower Sabie is? And why?

And the next best is?
Sawubona
Dalene

Safari Gal

Unread postby Safari Gal » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:28 pm

I think 27 and 28
Calling all no-kudu horn mites to join the no-kudu horn quiz.

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:42 pm

We have only stayed in the river-view tents once and we were lucky enough to be allocated 16. We loved it. It is next to the fence at the end of the camp, so animals coming down to drink go right past. There is a pretty good view of the river itself.

Otherwise, go with what others have said.
KTP May 2015

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Wed May 14, 2014 8:13 am

Camping cannot be reserved (with the exception of Tsendze where you are allocated a site), it is first come first served.

I would suggest getting there around 9. Thats when most who are leaving have left and not many newbies have arrived. (You do unfortunately get the odd lot that will pack up at 14H00 to leave despite being required to be out by 10am).

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed May 14, 2014 9:53 am

Warm welcome to the forum Jack B! :clap:

Correct, you cannot reserve camping sites so as GlenD has said try and get there early and I'm sure you will find 2 together.
Good luck and enjoy!
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

McLeanMike

Renovated BD2U units at Lower Sabie

Unread postby McLeanMike » Thu May 29, 2014 3:08 pm

Grateful for feedback from anyone who has stayed in or viewed the newly renovated BD2U units at Lower Sabie. I have a specific question about the kitchen area. The SanPark website has a virtual tour link which shows the kitchen enclosed in the unit much like the BD3U's but with no bed in that area. But, the description and still pictures on the same webpage indicate the kitchen is on the veranda. Is the virtual tour correct (and the description/still pictures have not been updated to reflect the renovation) or is the kitchen in fact on the veranda? Other impressions re older BD3Us versus the newly renovated BD2Us at Lower Sabie also are greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Renovated BD2U units at Lower Sabie

Unread postby Leanawel » Thu May 29, 2014 3:44 pm

Carol g and McLeanMike

I do not know whether they have renovated the BD2U's in the last year, but in 2012 the BD2U's have an open veranda (patio) with a kitchen, a table and chairs, basin and cupboards. Glass sliding door leading to the bedroom.

The BD3U's have an enclosed kitchen (glass sliding door to the veranda in front and to the bedroom on the other side) with a table, chairs, basin, fridge and the 3rd bed on one side.

But maybe this has changed from then :hmz:

Leana

Bushbaby100

Unread postby Bushbaby100 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Leana is right. The BD2U's kitchen is indeed on the veranda. Stayed there just the other day.
The "virtual tour" of the kitchen on the BD2U is indeed wrong - it shows the BD3U's kitchen.

WildThing
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby WildThing » Thu May 29, 2014 4:41 pm

All the BD2U's have been renovated, and the kitchen is outside on the covered patio. All the BG2 (which are on the inside curve of each row of perimeter bungalows) have all been renovated except for two they are working on. These units do not face the fence. They are for two people, have a covered patio, and an indoor kitchen area. They actually all look very nice.

Oumie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Lower Sabie renovations

Unread postby Oumie » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:52 pm

The OLD reception & Shop are being renovated.....what we understand it's going to be a information centre and a new Laundry room. Hope I got the info correct from a friend who told us....
Croc Bridge 17/4 - 19/4
Lower Sabie 20/4 to 10/5
Satara 11/5 to 17/5
Letaba 18/5 to 24/5
Shingwedzi 25/5 to 31/5
Tsendze 1/6 to 4/6
Satara 5/6 to 7/6
Maroela 8/6 to 11/6

ilovenationalparks

lower sabie

Unread postby ilovenationalparks » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:12 am

Hi

I'm planning a trip to KNP in 2015 with my husband and children.
On a previous visit we stayed at Skukuza, Letaba and Satara and loved all those rest camps. This time round I would like to stay at Lower Sabie, but I have read some very negative things about the camp on tripadvisor. Can someone please provide me with an honest opinion about the camp. also, are the rondawels semi-detached. (It's always so hard to find suitable accommodation for a family of 5.)

Also is it better to do a sunrise drive or a sunset drive?

Kaapsedraai
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: lower sabie

Unread postby Kaapsedraai » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:17 am

ilovenationalparks, a very warm welcome to the Forum :clap: :D

I love your name and so fitting :thumbs_up:

On the accommodation, we only stayed in FU4V and BD3U and they all have lovely views of the river and really enjoyable to stay in. The BD3U's are attached two-two to each other, but really great to stay in - 2 beds in the bedroom and another one in the kitchen area, but really tastefully done. :dance:

About the sunrise and sunset matter - I personally prefer a sunrise - Bush Walk and at sunset to rather do the drive. :D

All of the best with the planning. :thumbs_up:
Now active - TMNP: Table Mountain's mood today
Now active - KRUGER Dec'14: 14 days appreciation of nature & wild company
Now active - Wildernis Ebb & Flo: 24-27 Apr'15
Future trip - Kruger: 10-25 Dec'15

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”