Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tamboti Trips
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:30 pm 

Hello everyone. Just for those who do not know. You can actually see the layout of each camp in Kruger when you click on 'Availability', then Kruger', then the camp and then on the left click on map. A separate window will open where you can see the whole camp and where the tents are situated.
Here's the link for quick reference:
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/ca ... amboti.jpg

I've stayed at Tamboti couple of times and only once in the 'luxury' tents. I agree about the pull out bed. It is horrible! No one can sleep on that (not even a child). Most uncomfortable. Also, make sure when visiting these tents (hide your food in kitchen in fridge if possible). Last time we were there, we left the bread rolls on top of fridge inside the tent and found the squirrels having a whale of a time with them. They come in through the top of the roof of the tent somewhere. Oh, and yes, there is a resident leopard in the area. It is used to the area and walks close to the fence sometimes. Especially early morning and late afternoon. Be aware of the monkeys too. They are nice to look at but dangerous if you left food outside. Another small fact about Tamboti. Because of the thick bush - be aware there are snakes! I usually choose the normal two bed tents close to ablution. Too scared to walk out there at night if need be. Best camp to be close to nature though!! Love it!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:14 am 

The tents are fine as far as I remember. It is just in the more secluded tents (the pull out couch) that is most uncomfortable. As for the leopard. I have never seen it inside the camp (I dont walk around at night), but, I've seen the leopard on 3 occassions just next to the fence OUTSIDE the camp IN THE RIVER BED. The resident troop of baboons usually sees him/her first and signals alarm calls. Therefore, you will know if the leopard is there or not. But, don't just count on the baboons. The trees around this camp is easy for the leopard to climb into and over fence. BUT, dont let this 'put anyone off'. If you are vigilent, don't walk around after dark alone, this camp is the best kept secret of Kruger. It is NOT for the feint hearted though. Keep your wits about you, and keep your ears and eyes open. I honestly feel like I am alone in the bush when staying at Tambotie, with the luxury of a tent and these tents are built on wooden stilts so it is a bit off the ground. It is an unforgetable experience to stay there.

Post subject: Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:36 pm 

Hut 30 encircled, for some reason! :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:30 pm 

Goafrica,

Tent 18 & 19 are both 4-bed tents and their views are great.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:11 pm 
Very intriguing post, ndloti! :shock:

Here's the 'bathroom" in the luxury tents...very larney indeed! :thumbs_up:

No toilet pic...

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:51 pm 

Hello Mites.

I just got back from a 3 night stay at Tamboti and it was absolutely AWESOME. :thumbs_up:

You can read all about it here. :thumbs_up:

www.sanparks.org//forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48027&sid=99541ef19da100310c9f69964551ec17

AWESOME TAMBOTI 3 NIGHTER

The name of the topic says it all. :dance:

Hi Bush Baptist, I must agree with you on taking the H7 towards Satara. It produced some excellent sightings. :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Both of my informants tell me that 19 , 20 & 21 all offer good views , 20 being the best as it is situated slightly forward from the neighbours thus you do not see them easily unless you look backwards in their direction .

Edit : 20 being the best tent in my informants opinions .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:34 pm 

Hello Anja.

Totally agree with Ndloti. If you are staying in a CTT 2 or CTT 4 you should book unit no 19, 20 or 21. 21 having the best view. :thumbs_up:

If you are booking the LST 3 units then unit no 40 is just AWESOME. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:42 pm 

Hi, we stayed in 18 & 19 this year. Both had great views The bushes out side 18 had been cut back I think. I can confirm that you cannot see number 20 from 19, as its a little bit round the corner.

Do take care with your foodstuffs.....keep everything in the fridge and take a lugage strap or a rope to tie the fridge closed. Dont leave ANY windows open, or the door. The monkeys are very attracted to brown paper bags whatevr is inside, so dont leave souvenirs etc where they can see the bag!!

The monkeys are super intelligent, so they can figure out pretty quickly if you are going to be firm and not let them get to stuff, that and a few warning pebbles thrown in their general direction and they get the message.

A large thermos flask is a huge help with hot water at tamboti, or an elecric kettle if you have a little one!

Have a great time.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

cathyb wrote:
We're going to ask for Tent 40 but, failing that, any ideas for which other tent would be good?
Thanks

Cathyb, we stayed in Tamboti a few months ago a and if number 40 is not available go for number 34...very nice and bit separate from the rest! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes Cathy it has plenty of shade. We have stayed in number 33 which is very close to number 32, but number 34 is a bit separate from number 33, close to the fence and I couldn't see number 35 at the other side! So I think it is a good option! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:56 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A few photo's (for future reference) of tent no 14 where we had a thouroughly enjoyable 3 nights at the end of December 2010.

Walkway to no 14:

View:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

BushKrazy wrote:
Hi AllI have a night booked at Tamboti in June this year. Any recommendations as to what number I should try and request? I have an LST3 booked. How do I go about requesting a specific tent. Usually stay at the main rest camps, so looking forward to staying in a quieter satellite. Was hesitant at first but judging from some of the comments I have done the right thing in booking a stay at Tamboti. :dance:

I would recommend # 40 which is the last tent at the far end of the camp alongside the boundary fence , which is about 2 metres from the stairs to the deck on which the tent is situated .

Phone the camp and request a contact person to whom you could fax your request .

PHILIP/ALET wrote:
Hi everyone! Enjoy it. Can not wait, will be in the Park 23/04/2011 for 33 days!!

Welcome to the forum ! 33 days at Tamboti ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quite a cost difference between the standard and luxury tents. Are the luxury tens worth the extra, or are the communal facilities abundant enough?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In my opinion the communal facilities are good enough .
The LST 3 units are larger , and if you want to total privacy they are the war to go .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next