View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Tent number 1

This is the only piece of river bed we saw.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Dear Marge

We had a four-bed tent in July and previous years and it was marvelous. In my opinion the view is awesome anywhere and everywhere in Tamboti... even if it is just a piece of small riverbed that peeps through... as in the photo that Roaneric has kindly posted. The tents are relatively secluded, as their are trees/foliage in between. However, because the camp is so secluded, sound travels fax. :D :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: But we had well-behaved residents whilst we were there. No complaints. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We have stayed in number 5 which was close to the fence. Numbers 1-6 are on the left hand side and not too close to the ablutions. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There are 10 luxury tents - numbers 30 - 40 with their own kitchenette and shower / toilet .
these are termed LST 3 units on the booking system .
Page back on this thread to find more info .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:06 pm 

Winny wrote:
Hi,

I have booked the luxury tent with ramp access, I'm guessing it's number 33 looking at the camp map. Anyone know how good the view is from that tent?

I have previously stayed in one of the other LST3s, 37 I think.

Cheers,

Hi Winny - it's really very good. So much better than 32 next door. There are no large bushes or trees to obscure the view so you get a wonderful view of the riverbed.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

# 40 is at the far end , besides the fence being visible you could be blessed with quiet neighbours on one side only .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Just spent 2 days in Tamboti, my 2nd time there and for sure not my last!

On our 2nd night we had a spotted genet visit us right by the braai - we stared at each other for about 20 minutes. All through that night the lions roared about 1km from the camp but it felt like it was in front of our tent! we still heard them when we woke up, and found the whole pride just outside the camp on the road - although they were moving across and disappeared quickly. We also found a serval on the sunset drive!

For those who haven't tried it - you're missing out. The silence, tranquility and serenity is awesome. More than enough comfort in the normal tents.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:49 pm 

Sorry to interrupt the spider speak, but does anyone know if you can get a utensils basket at Orpen for Tamboti? And if so should we order it in advance.

I was keen to book the lux tents, but SO says we must have the tough ones and not be cissies! :cry: However coming from UK we have no utensils!! I guess fingers paper plates a sharp knife and a pair of tongs are all that is needed really. :shock: :evil:

Is the shop t Orpen ok to get some basic food......some braii stuff?

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi GA

The shop at Orpen is well-stocked! You should be able to get all your basic amenities there. :thumbs_up:

A reddish spider - sounds like the red roman, but hey, I'm not an entomologist. :roll: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:33 am 

Marge wrote:
You will have an awesome experience. All you will need to bring along is your food and refreshments. There is no shop or restaurant in this camp.
Orpen is 3km down the road for supplies during the day, so you will be fine.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

We always stay in the budget tents and have never yet been bitten or stung by anything, although did have a monkey come into our tent during the day when the door was open and we were having a rest.

He came to see what food he could steal! Don't know who got the bigger fright!

Oh yes that reminds me - keep everything, and I mean everything, either locked in the cupboards in the kitchen or in the tent. Include the bin in this as well. Both times we've stayed there we've surprised baboons on the deck, rumaging to see what they can find. The clever little blighters wait until you've gone for the day before descending to raid.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:19 pm 

Elzet wrote:
Hiya Floppi,

Welcome to the Forums and soon you shall savour our wonderful country's and best of all, a visit to the Park!

We normally remove our meat for the night during midday (if we are in camp) - and leave it on top of the fridge :roll: to defrost! :lol: :wink: Never been to one of the luxury tents, so I am not sure whether they are equipped with microwave ovens for defrosting purposes...

Vacuum packed red meat should not be a problem, even if you leave it outside all day... meat ripening... but best to remove the previous evening from the freezer and keep in the fridge till you need it the next night.

Enjoy! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Don't leave any food out, inside or outside the tent - we left a packet of rice on top of the fridge one night and the next morning found little holes all over it where some creature had investigated. There are holes in all the tents that the squirrels and mice get in through.

There aren't any microwaves in the luxury tents.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Can anyone tell me what staying in Tamboti in June is like? Is it too cold at that time of the year?

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Flutterby, we often stay in the safari tents at Lower Sabie around July. It isn't too cold, and remember that LS is on a river. You do need an extra blanket at night, but that just makes it cosier! :lol:

Also bear in mind that Kruger isn't too extreme - weather wise - in the winter.

Hope this helps.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Fatcat
Tambotie is indeed fenced, as all camps, but it is very bushy, huge trees and the monkeys and baboons easily come into the camp.
When you drive or walk in the camp it feels like you are in the bush, most of the time you cannot see another tent or person because the bush was left natural and wild.
Here is a picture from the Tambotie camp website.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:56 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
I was in the tent no 32 few days ago.... with a big tree and a lot of bushes, but if no 33 is at my right side, when I'm in front of the dry river, if I rembermber correctely there is a good view and no stairs :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next