SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: IS Tamboti suitable for children
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This is quite a tough decision to make.

IMHO I would rather go for a camp like Satara, when small kids are involved, there is just far more that you can do with them. It is not a no go here for Tamboti, but the bush is quite dense and of course you would have to constantly keep your eye on you children(not that you won't do this at any other camp).

The other part is of course, how much time will you be spending in the camp itself? If you are people who drive around most of the day, although I think it might be quite difficult with small children, and basically only using the camps accommodation I would opt for Tamboti.

Hope you have a wonderful stay. :thumbs_up:

Satara Camp 2014-12-29 - 2015-01-05

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi taryncmurray, and a very warm welcome to the forum :)

As Lepardfan says, this is a difficult one and I can only answer it as someone who has been there often. This is also purely my personal opinion, as Tamboti is one of my favourite 3 destinations to stay in the Park.

There is nothing there for little ones to do (thinking specifically of the 3 year old). I would not let the toddler run around the camp at any time, and this is not for any fuddy-duddy reason either. There are resident snakes, monitors, honey badgers etc inside the camp, not to mention the baboons and vervet monkeys who come and go as they please all of whom can be a serious threat to a little one. The camp consists of very thick bush and all manner of things can and do live in it.

Orpen is 4 kilometres away which has a pool, and even though there are honey badgers there too, the camp is more conducive to little ones. Considering Satara as an alternative would be an even better option.

Whatever you decide to do, I know you're going to have a fantastic time and it's wonderful that your bambinos are experiencing the Kruger at such a young age. They're going to love you for it :)

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

Travel Tales - Jaxi's and Porridge's 4th adventure

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:28 pm 

Welcome to the forum taryncmurray,

Please do have a read through Tamboti camp
I think you will see there are some who do feel this camp as delightful as it is not really conducive for small children and I think I would agree that Orpen would be the better option for the time being.

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Taryncmurray

We will be staying at Tamboti for the first time next year, but our son is a teenager, so no worries about running around.

We did stay at Orpen when he was about 2 years old. We had one of the family cottages. The benefit is that there is space, both inside (in case of rain) and outside, for kids to play and run around. Orpen has a waterhole just outside the fence and can be seen from most of the bungalows.

Looking at the Tamboti tents, there is not as much space, and I don't think that there is anywhere for kids to play.

Either way, I am sure you will enjoy whichever camp you choose.

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:53 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A very warm welcome Taryncmurray. :gflower:

I am going to agree with the other mites.

I love going to Tambotie, but it is dangerous for young children. The thick riverine bush hides too many creepy, crawly, sliding, biting creatures.

Satara is a very child friendly camp. It also has great roads to explore. I found that I had to drive lots of short routes when my children were small, rather than the usual day long meandering. It is possible to do that from Satara, but not Tambotie. The choice of roads from Tambotie is much more limited.

If you want an early exit, the last night would be fine, but three might be rather taxing.

Post subject: Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:34 pm 

Recently spent a cracking two nights at Tamboti, really was a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone. Saw Mr Honeybadger doing his round and checking who was and wasnt in residence, also had a Genet whose green eyes were often seen looking towards our tent. In the afternoons, we had a very active group of mongoose who seemed to have lots to do around ours and our neighbours tents. The evenings were the best though, on our first night, I was left outside alone quietly reading, and was lucky enough to have a couple of visitors. The first was the genet, that climbed the steps onto our verandah, and then paused for a good 10 seconds when it realised I was still there. The second was a honeybadger whose head appeared above the top step, I told him he was too early and he quite kindly went back on his way. Later that night around 3.30am the crashing and banging began, and I was lucky enough to catch the below of the two rascals as they made their getaway.

Night two was much calmer, although once again the Genets eyes could be seen glowing in the bushes nearby. However just before bedtime, I unfortunately caught sight of the backend of a snake making its way into the gaps between the tent canvas! As a man scared of snakes it meant for quite a restless night in the tent, with the torch flashing on and off at various intervals just to check we didnt have an unwanted visitor making its way to the bed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16