Skip to Content

Tamboti Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp

Unread postby Hippotragus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:42 pm

I have had very good luck on the Sweni Road - S126. Having said that, I've also driven it and seen nothing!

From Satara we usually do one trip along S100, stop for a while at N'wanetsi, go along the tar road to the H1-3, turn south for a few kms and then right along the S126 - ending up at Muzandzeni for another leg-stretch. Obviously it is further from Tamboti, but probably doable with an early start.

Another nice drive from Tamboti is to take the S140 from near the Rabelais Hut, past Talamati and wiggle along the S145 to the S36.

I agree the Timbavati River Road S39 can be spectacular - even just the scenery makes it worth doing.
Paul Kruger Gate (day visitor) 24-28 August 2015
Skukuza 14-18 October 2015
Satara 18-21 October 2015

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bushbuddies » Tue May 27, 2014 3:34 pm

We are visiting Tamboti for the first time on 20-23 June. We'll be staying in a luxury tent (LST3), and I tried to request unit 40. Unfortunately it is already taken... They have now allocated the tent next door, # 39 to us. Does anybody know what it is like and how its view is?
13-19 June 2015 - Lower Sabie
20-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-25 June 2015 - Olifants
26-28 June 2015 - Letaba

13 Dec 2015 - Nossob
14-15 Dec 2015 - Grootkolk
16 Dec 2015 - Nossob
17-18 Dec 2015 - Mata Mata
19 Dec 2015 - Twee Rivieren

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Tue May 27, 2014 5:22 pm

#39 isn't quite so nice as #40, but it is definitely my 2nd choice and I'm sure that you'll be happy with it. Enjoy Tamboti! :mrgreen:
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Tue May 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Hi Bushbuddies,

Just go back a little on this forum for advice.

They have a steel "cage" outside each chalet to put your stuff in -- NB the monkeys still put their hands through the bars and eat your avos, fruit etc. quite easily! So even there, it needs to be INSIDE something. The other option is to leave a lot of your food in the trailer/boot.

I usually leave food inside the tent in a cupboard where it is NOT visible from outside, and we make sure the gauze is closed as well...
Enjoy!

I got stung badly by wasps that hide behind the sightings board -- they pop out as soon as you want to put a pin on the board and zap you!

Maye we'll bump into each other there one day!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Afriphile

Warning about Tambotie camp.

Unread postby Afriphile » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 pm

We have just returned from a superb Kruger trip,but would like to give a warning about animals,especially Honey badgers at Tambotie camp.
We have stayed there before,and were warned at Orpen check in,but did not expect what we encountered.
While out in the afternoon,an animal,probably a vervet or baboon,got into our friends tent and stole food and caused quite a mess.
We traced the break in to a piece of canvas which although repaired,had been forced open again.We placed the fire extinguisher against this area and laughed it off.
Before going to bed that night we washed up,put all waste in the big metal bins,stored everything else in the fridge,inside the tent,and went to sleep.
About midnight I heard Mr H B come to our tent and check things out,but finding nothing he moved on.
10 mins later all he'll broke loose next door. He had forced his way in to the tent and opened the fridge door,the noise and fridge light waking my friend.Shouting ,banging and finding no meat convinced him to leave by the same route,only to return later in the night to find his access blocked by the microwave oven.
This was obviously reported at Orpen,which brought a smile and shrug of the shoulders.
Sadly the problems are escalating and I fear an injury could happen especially if the animal finds food and thinks you are trying to take it off them,not to mention the shock of waking up with an HB in the tent with you.
This was tent 38.

Peregrine Falcon

Re: Warning about Tambotie camp.

Unread postby Peregrine Falcon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Bring on the HB's, we'll be there 7th/8th September and really hope they pay us a visit.

2 years ago they visited us in tent number 40 at 3 o'clock in the morning, what an experience.This is why we go to KNP isn't it?

Take care wherever you are.

PF.
A poor life this, if full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
(W.H.Davies)

---------------------------------------
SEPTEMBER 2014
4/5 - Berg-en-Dal
6 - Skukuza
7/8 - Tamboti
9/10/11 - Shimuwini
12/13/14- Shingwedzi
15-19 - Letaba

Afriphile

Unread postby Afriphile » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:23 pm

suebfly wrote:Totally agree PF - cant wait for our visit in November. That is the whole reason we stay at Tamboti. Best to stay in cottages if this incredible experience is a scary prospect

With due respect,we also go to Kruger(and Tamboti) for a wilderness experience but a HB who has lost all fear of humans,and is in your tent in the middle of the night is downright scary.If or when it happens to you I hope you still feel it is "an incredible experience".

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:54 pm

JeanniR wrote:We stayed in tent number 38 this past weekend and we had no problems with Honey Badgers. :thumbs_up:

There were also no unrepaired tears in the canvas, so the staff must have fixed the place were the HB entered your friend's tent.

Whilst we were packing up on Sunday morning (around 05:30) the two Badgers came running towards our tent, the moment they spotted us they turned around and fled. So I would not say that they have lost all fear of humans. This was also their only visit to our tent during our stay.

Thanks JeanniR, that's very encouraging news :thumbs_up:
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

lavendula

Tamboti camp

Unread postby lavendula » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi there

I'm going to tamboti and was wondering if there is electricity there? So that I can use my kettle and hairdryer?
Or must I take my codac cooker?

Thanks

Elsa

Re: Tamboti camp

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:38 pm

Warm welcome to the forum lavendula! :clap:

You don't mention what type of accommodation you have booked.
The luxury tents have their kitchens and own bathrooms and the more budget tents which use communal kitchens and bathrooms.
but having said that both types will have electric plug points.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Tamboti camp

Unread postby Hugh » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:39 pm

there is electricity so you can have your cuppa and look glam at the same time
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

DASSIEDELIGHT

Unread postby DASSIEDELIGHT » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:05 pm

We stayed at Tamboti 7th/8th September and received a quick visit from HB first night. If it/they came the second night we didn't hear them. Shame we didn't actually see them this time. We also did not have trouble from either baboons or vervets but then we always put all our food inside the tent.

We had tent no 34 (an LST3) which we know some 'mites complain about. It does have a large tree blocking the view of the river one way but a clear view the other. We liked having the tree there as we had lots of birdie visits and the dappled shade was welcome as it was very hot. Also there is even a toaster and microwave in the room!

Regards,
DASSIEDELIGHT & Peregrine Falcon.
-------------
TR: PF & DDs Game of patience in KTP - Oct/Nov 2013
--------------

KNP SEPTEMBER 2014
----------------
CAPE TOWN / WCNP / WILDERNESS APRIL 2015
----------------

DASSIEDELIGHT

Unread postby DASSIEDELIGHT » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm

We stayed at Tamboti 7th/8th September. We had tent no 34 (an LST3) which we know some 'mites complain about. It does have a large tree blocking the view of the river one way but a clear view the other. We liked having the tree there as we had lots of birdie visits and the dappled shade was welcome as it was very hot. Also there is even a toaster and microwave in the room!

Regards,
DASSIEDELIGHT & Peregrine Falcon.
-------------
TR: PF & DDs Game of patience in KTP - Oct/Nov 2013
--------------

KNP SEPTEMBER 2014
----------------
CAPE TOWN / WCNP / WILDERNESS APRIL 2015
----------------

Wildkyker
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Wildkyker » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:43 am

Is this not a great site after a long absence from Tamboti?

taryncmurray

Swimming pool at Orphen

Unread postby taryncmurray » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14 am

We are staying at Tamboti for 3 nights in Nov. Are Tamboti guests allowed to use the pool at Orphen?

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”