SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:35 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi pucelou,
If I remember correctly the NG2U is at the bottom and has a bush view, too low down to see the river.
NG2V are higher up and have a river view.
Hope this makes sense.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We had a BG3E, bungalow number 28, one row back from the riverview. The view from our patio...
... and a minute's walk up to the viewpoint at the shop / restaurant. The bungalow to the right with the tape around it, was burnt out. It was unit 4.

Even from the riverview units, you'd need some dedication, and a good pair of binocs to see anything down below, so in my estimation, riverview is a tad overrated. I'd rather save the accommodation money for extra time in the park, and do my viewing from the car. But that's just me, tight as two coats of paint with my wallet! :D

Post subject: Olifants Rest camp
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The best view is from Nshawu Guest house, so if you are 2 families (it sleeps 8), it is a must to stay there. The guesthouse sits on the cliff and you can see both sides of the river valley.
We stayed in Lebombo last year, also special but the view from Nshawu looked much nicer.
This is also where we had an encounter with some vervet monkeys.
We found a few in our kitchen of the guest house enjoying the fruit we brought from Limpopo.
Unfortunately one was trapped as the screen was closed.
To our astonishment the vervet decided to go straight through the screen!!! :shock:
I was standing outside and the vervet decided to challenge me.
Fortunately my husband came to the rescue. (Did you know that monkeys will always try and challenge a woman, but they know very well to stay clear from men?
Have seen it often.)
You can imagine the hysteria!
And a whole lot of people (standing at the view point) looked on while this show went on.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Elsavs wrote:
My family and I, will be staying at Olifants for the first time. I was so luck to get a river view bungelow. I will turn 40 there and I am so exciting! Can't wait to stay there. I hope my dreams of seeing animals from my bungelow, down below isn't to far fetched?? :D

Olifants has always has been my favourite camp.
It is situated on top of a hill towering several hundred metres over Olifants river.
Your river view bungalow will present you with an unforgettable window of Africa.
The sightseeing views from the lookout platforms, below the restaurant, are absolutely stunning.
The camp is warm and welcoming and is indeed the perfect place to celebrate your 40th birthday. :D
From your bungalow you will definitely spot hippos, crocodiles, impalas, kudus, elephants and an abundance of birdlife such as storks and eagles and if you're lucky you might even witness the occasional Lion kill. (What a birthday present ! :mrgreen: )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

There are breakfast and bush braais, river and bush walks, and mountain bike trails.
Last October we did an afternoon walk from Olifants, but the rangers took us to the nearby Letaba river bed.

Activities and Facilities at Olifants Camp

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Elsavs
You must take a few trips with your vehicle to the Olifants bridge (on the way to Balule) for early morning coffee and sundowners in your car. Take the tar road down the mountain as if going to Letaba. When you get to the bottom, turn left on the gravel road to Balule (can't remember the road no). On the Olifants low water bridge you can sit there for a while and just appreciate the birdlife, the sound of the river and the atmosphere. We have seen wonderful birds there. Pied, malacite and Giant kingfishers, a black crake, many swallows and fish eagles. ENJOY!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Please can anyone tell me which are the BG3U bungalows? Our friends just went through a tragic event and I was fortunate to get another bungalow at Olifants. They will be flying up to Phalaborwa and drive in to meet up with us for 2 nights. I had a look at the map, but dont know if its the ones on the left or the right.

Post subject: OLIFANTS
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:18 pm 

Hi,

Can anyone tell my what the NG2V unit/s at Olifants is like? What number / s it is?
Has anyone got pictures of the unit or the view from this unit?

Thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi

have a look here

You can click on the images to expand them. To find images of the accommodation, click on availability on the left hand navigation bar, and you'll get to them. Kruger is almost done, then Kgalagadi and a few new camps are all that we have left to photograph...

Dianne

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:23 am 

Hi Lourenco
The units with the best riverview is as far as i can remember no's 1-14
View downstream from no 3

Can't seem to find the photo taken upstream but will post it as soon as i find it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:18 am 

Looking at the camp map units 1-9 seems to be the ones closest to the fence/river. We have a Best River View Bungalow (BBD2V) booked for our next trip and it will be nice to be sure which of the units are the BBD2V units.

Can someone of SANParks maybe confirm.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:41 am 

If you can ask for no 9, imo the best view from there. 1-9 are the best views but you still have a view further up the no's

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:45 pm 

MM and I were in #11 last Friday, also a nice unit with a lovely view, #9 definately has the best view but it was already booked. #13 is also nice but the braai is behind the unit.
Have a great trip, francoisd!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:00 pm 

Thanks to Phuti Namethe at Olifants we got bungalow no 9. It definitely has the widest view of all the bungalows in the camp but the braai was placed at an awkward spot that had me climbing over the veranda wall, walking on a ledge to it. Not very safe.

As it was VERY windy in Olifants I later moved the braai to behind the bungalow.

They were also busy digging a trench all the way fro unit 24 to the manhole in front of no 9. Fortunately for us they were still busy in front of no 10. Renovation work is also being done to unit 5.

Other units in the camp with good views of the western part of the river is 94, 95 and 106 but they are facing directly into the direction the wind came from when we were there.

Post subject: Which bungalow ?
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:26 pm 

Everyone has different opinions on which of the river-view bungalows at Olifants are best. Number 9 is often considered best but I have to disagree with this. Having lived inside the park for 6 uninterrupted months I have to say that bungalow 10 (and 11) is superior. Number 9 looks great ... until you sit down outside it and then you notice the safety fence slightly obscures the wonderful view. Yes, you do see up and down the river better than at hut 10, but the open view from 10 is just unbeatable. Just my opinion though !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next